SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was feeling bored today so i started routing my first wooden track and wanted to do a rally track after building my rally proxy car. The theme of the track will be kinda of medievil dark theme

as a guide for the router i used some hose from watering system from bunnings for $3 for 20 meters with nails every inch

its not finished yet but got about 80% done

the table is a L with the main 2 side being 2.4 meters x 1.2

enjoy some pics

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been working hard on the track last night and today and have it under coated already

this pic really dows not show the changes in height well as the changes on the flatter section change slow and only by a inch

Have finished the routing of the over pass and now all the routing is done for now

The straight on the left drops in the middle by 5 cms the raises to the banked corner
Where the paint roller is I ave started to build a Old castle to fit there

The track length is 13.47 meters i dont know if thats log or short ut was thinking it would be 15 or so meters

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have been busy working on the track
its now painted in Wattyl Solar Guard the color is Gravel Chip
have almost got all the timing system wired up

just have to wait for some tape from ebay which hopefully will be here on friday and have the track running on the weekend

Just a question whats the best way to connect power to the tape ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are more than one way, but here's what I did. Just outside of where the tape will lay, I drill a hole that will pass a 16 guage wire. I then use a Dremel type grinder to grind a trough to connect the hole to the slot, only deep enough for the stripped wire to lay in. Lay the tape down, making sure to press it into the trough. Pre-tin the tape and wire with solder, now pass the wire up through the track, press into taped trough and hit with soldering iron. The solder should flow quickly, but be prepared to press the wire and tape down smooth, I used a small block of wood. After both sides were done, I cleaned up the slot in case the wire poked into it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its Alive!!!!

The tape arrived yesterday and was able to finish off the wiring, make the control panel and do a few hundred test laps

Im hooked on this even more now its really smooth and flowing but each corner but 1 is multiply radius which keeps you on your toes. One thing was different having sector timing and a speed trap was good to see where the car was faster/slow

thats all for now I might try to get the castle and finish one of the houses to add in the next few days

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick update as I havent dont much lately just making some buildings and still making alot of trees

here is a few pics of whats been done

just coming through a sector1 timing bridge / castle wall

this is the corner at the end of the long straight / Another castle wall

this is the first corner

More will come soon as I hope to have it finished before my round of the rally

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got some more work done today on the track

wire fence at turn 1
I used some chop sticks with 2 small holes drilled into them with thin wire from garden ties

finally got around to starting the hill sections plastering and the tunel entrance into place.

not sure on the colour of the rocks as of yet or how i will do the other side to the tunel as the theme on the other side is all dark and dead plants, grass, trees, cars and people well there will be a grave yard and everything will be run down with some runes of castle walls and bits from wars from many years ago

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (ju5t1n @ 11 Oct 2010, 22:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>nice looking track,coming along very quickly,is there a chance of a close up view of your timing system and how you incorporated it into the track? as im really struggling with getting mine into my routed track
tried taking a few pics but you cant really see anything but what I did was have a sensor below the slot with a light a above the slot

QUOTE (JEXY1 @ 11 Oct 2010, 22:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good work - where did the castle come from?

I got them from a junk market the guy said he made them for some game thing for $5 for 9 bits but since then I found they are a kit for games like warhammer ect but still need to be put together and painted

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have spent another few days working on the track

Built the first house using a wooden model kit from the reject shop $2. I cut this up and changed the roof and tried to remove most the interlocking tabs.

also I have finished off all the plaster work and the rocks that blend into the castle wall

started some detailing around the other castle wall at the end of the long straight

and just a couple of shots showing how the track is looking at the moment

Im starting to run out of ideas atm so any ideals would be great as well as any feed back

Thanks for looking
Jason

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
looking good jason...plenty of possibilites, i put in dark woods in google,and came up with some images, obviously you need a ton more trees, the buildings should be more ruined, maybe a skeleton hanging from a tree, a brown stream with a lick of blood red,, bats, monks obviously , about to sacrifice a maiden oh and a dry ice machine!

please feel free to ignore everything i say...just my thoughts!!

sig

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
some every good ideas pretty much along the lines of what i have been thinking

have done some more work on the track while building my proxy car

have paint the rock work and cut aways, laid almost all of the base grass, put up some fences, started some runes and started some of the smaller
detailing

here is some quick pics of how its looking enjoy

car coming over the overpass on the dark side of the track

coming through the castle gates

going into the tunnel no one ever reads the signs

coming out of the tunel heading towards the castle wall

some of the runes

Im now waiting of some tombs and gravestones so I cant set out the haunted dark church

please feel free to comment

·
Registered
78 Posts
Another quick update

Have made and painted the Stone Cirle sector timing light bridge
Made the fencing where between the light and dark sections of the track Just need to add warning signs and a few heads on stakes

here is a few pics to look at and a Video with Shakira driving around the track for the first time

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.