SlotForum banner

Datsun "Snick"

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  FZSsemans® 
#1 ·
I had this Ariii Datsun Fairlady 2000 static kit in my "Round Toit" pile. I wanted it as a slot car, but I wanted something a bit different than the typical Datsun livery of the time. I found the livery I wanted at last year's Monterrey Historic races, Jim Fitzgerald's Datsun 2000.

There were several other projects to finish before starting (proxy race builds usually come first). Modding the body was fairly straightforward. I had to add flares over the front wheel wells and slightly expand the rear fenders as was done on the original car. The front air dam was constructed with plastic card bits as was the windscreen. Paint is Automotive enamel Bright White over MCW lacquer alcyd primer. The decals were laid out in Adobe Illustrator then sent to Tom Rossinski on the east coast for output. Once the decals were applied everything was clear coated (3 very light dusting coats, 3 medium). The interior was constructed with Plastic card and Aluminum tubing for the roll cage The driver is a combo of Proto and Lemans Miniature figures.

The body sits on a slightly modified MRRC Sebring chassis, power is an AE slim can through Slotit gears. Wheels are BWA 32002 front an rear with Cooper style alloy inserts tires are Ninco classics.

So... why "Datsun Snick" as a title? Back when the 2000 was new Road and Track called it so in appreciation of it's smooth shifting gearbox. It's certainly better than my second choice... wait for it... "My Fairlady..."

Greenman62

See less See more
#8 ·
Thanks for the compliments, folks! I can report that its first outing on a track was phenomenal. Apparently the AE motor, Slotit gear set up and BWA/Ninco wheels and tires are just about perfect for the wee beastie. I can be a little prejudice about my scratch built cars so I handed it off to friends to get their driving impressions. They were universally happy with the way the Datsun drove. One was surprised that it ran so well on a Sebring chassis. The only suggestion was "it might need a little weight up front".

I do love it when all the work is rewarded right out of the box!

Greenman62

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.