SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is funny how the US is hosting two simultaneous 1.5 liter GP proxy races. Here is my Dave Jones bodied ATS that I showed the dirty bits of earlier that is entered in the Vintage Race Across America. No wimping out with a ff-030 motor to get a full driver in this car. This car is modeled after the ill fated Phil Hill entry for the 1963 Monaco Gran Prix that the car was not completed in time for. As last years VRAA champion I thought it fitting that I should build the car that had been entered with the number 1 on it at Monaco for the first American driver to win a GP championship on the 50th year anniversary if his accomplishment. Not only does it look nice it broke the fast lap record on the 100 foot Matt's Carrera Monza track in practice by over four tenths of a second and the first VRAA car to break the seven second barrier on that track.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (dgersh @ 5 Oct 2011, 07:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow, that's beautiful Ken! Any movement built into the chassis?

And it's a nice tribute to Phil Hill...

Don

Being that this was my first try at building this type of chassis the movement is limited to the flex of the .047 diameter rails that are dampened by pairing the main steel rails with a thin brass rail. There is a 3 gram floating ballast plate hanging under the back half of the motor to the rear of the chassis to give a little more weight on the rear wheels. Weight is the enemy of the cars we race since we are limited on motor power with a 15,000 RPM motor that puts out 70 grams of torque. The car weighs in at 56 grams which is close to the optimum weight that balances power and traction.

Ken

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (slo1quick @ 13 Oct 2011, 06:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Congrats to Ken on this concourse winning Vraa entry. Well done !

Well done on your first VRAA win yourself on my home track. . . Good luck on this weekends two races Monza on Saturday and Tortilla Flats on Sunday.

Ken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.