SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Kevs Racing Bits
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must admit I thought the same...I'm going to need something else to watch when effing 1 bores me to death so will try to get into this racing instead.

Premium Member
I have always been a fan of sportscars - from prototypes to production based GT cars. As a kid I used to watch F1 in the mid 1970s into the mid 1980s but after Gilles was killed I lost interest. I attended my first IMSA race in 1987 and was completely hooked. Except for the weird period between 1999 and 2012 when the series split due to competing egos, it has been amazing seeing world class drivers and iconic cars race at Mosport, Watkins Glen, Detroit and Mid-Ohio. My goal is to attend races at all the IMSA tracks - increasing my count next year with the Rolex24.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design

1987 - Watkins Glen
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

2022 - Mosport
Peter

Registered
I never watch hours of coverage, but it s always refreshing to turn it and see the sunshine and the Palm trees! Kind of reminds me winter is getting short and spring is close. Seeing cars running close and turning left and right is always enjoyable.

20 years ago or so, I really enjoyed Speedweeks from Daytona when there was coverage of the 24 hours and then starting tuesday 2 weeks of daily coverage showing practice of the different classes and shop talk about the upcoming season. Those were the good days of Speedvision, Despain and maybe the hayday of stock car racing.

Premium Member
The Daytona 24hrs is a big one on my bucket list. I'm a huge fan of anything SportsCar related and a frequent Le Mans pilgrim...must be that the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence...but IMSA cars always seem to have that extra bit of show and glamour. Could be the glitzy liveries, could be the nearlky always clear blue skies reflecting of the body work...but I usually prefer IMSA Liveries over WEC/LM.

Anyhow. won't be spending the full 24hrs glued to the screen this year...as I have a race event to organize and run.
But the sights and sounds of the new LMDh/GTP cars on the Daytona banking....I will def manage to get a sneak peak once back in the Hotel.

With kind regards
Tamar

Registered
After 20 years of thinking about it I got over to Daytona in 2015.
Then went again in 2016 and 2017.
Folks. You get out there you won't stop going!
Atmosphere is so wonderfully relaxed and everyone says hello and you can talk to anyone.
All there for the right reason.
And there is so much else to do in Florida.
Cape Canaveral was my other must do.

Then I got over to Mosport in 2019 for the IMSA race.
The picture in PeterLightKits' post brought it all back.
Got lucky that year. Indycars in Toronto a week later....

These new machines look the biz so thinking I should get over
to a track I have not visited before.
GTLM had my attention on my trips out but sadly.....
These will likely have my focus now.

Any recommendations for an IMSA immersive stateside?
Laguna maybe?

Premium Member
After 20 years of thinking about it I got over to Daytona in 2015.
Then went again in 2016 and 2017.
Folks. You get out there you won't stop going!
Atmosphere is so wonderfully relaxed and everyone says hello and you can talk to anyone.
All there for the right reason.
And there is so much else to do in Florida.
Cape Canaveral was my other must do.

Then I got over to Mosport in 2019 for the IMSA race.
The picture in PeterLightKits' post brought it all back.
Got lucky that year. Indycars in Toronto a week later....

These new machines look the biz so thinking I should get over
to a track I have not visited before.
GTLM had my attention on my trips out but sadly.....
These will likely have my focus now.

Any recommendations for an IMSA immersive stateside?
Laguna maybe?
All I would recommend is that you place preference on non-street circuits. It's just my personal observation that street circuits offer very little ability to walk around and see the race from a variety of viewpoints.

Rich Dumas
I almost forgot about the Rolex 24 hour race. Here is the race coverage in the US.
The 61st Rolex 24 at Daytona will be streamed across the NBC Sports App, NBCSports.com and Peacock, which will have coverage of the event from flag to flag.

Broadcast coverage of the race coverage will begin Saturday, Jan. 28 at 1:30 p.m. ET on NBC and move to USA Network from 2:30-8 p.m. and then will be exclusively on Peacock and IMSA.TV from 8-10 p.m. Coverage will return to USA Network from 10 p.m. to midnight and then move to Peacock/IMSA.TV until 6 a.m.

From 6 a.m. until noon on Sunday, Jan. 29, Rolex 24 coverage will be available on USA Network. The conclusion of the Rolex 24 will run from noon through 2 p.m. on NBC.

I like to record as much of the coverage as I can. I can record the NBC and USA broadcasts, but maybe not the stuff that will be streamed on Peacock. I probably will miss the Peacock streamed portion that occurs during the night, but there is usually a decent recap of the night racing when USA takes over.

Premium Member
For Canada, I checked on the REV TV website schedule and it does not yet show what is planned for this Saturday. Then, using my cable provider schedule for REV TV I advanced to Saturday and they do not have the Rolex24 listed. So I sent REV TV an email enquiring about the Rolex24 and the rest of the IMSA season. Hopefully they will provide the complete season, like they have for the last couple of years. If not, it will have to be IMSA.TV.

Kevs Racing Bits
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But not enough space for a SW motor unlike SlotIt Gr.C's which go fantastic with SW (non mag).

Premium Member
Those long, high noses on the GTP cars should allow for a very forward mounted guide and therefore a long guidebase, should anyone decide to make a slotcar version.
Well actually the first one has already been made...more or less. at least for where it comes to slotrace technology.
That Pole setting Acura ARX-06...has the same Tub and dimensions as the Oreca 07 its based on.
Soon to become available at a Slot.it retailer near you

Been running one of the first preproduction test cars for some weeks now, careens really well. That long wheel & guide base makes for a very stable car.

With kind regards
Tamar

Registered
I believe Radio Le Mans has coverage for those in the UK and elsewhere able to access who may be interested in listening instead of watching (Internet Radio), especially while continuing with other jobs, chores, hobbies etc.

According to their webpage : Radio Le Mans 鈥 The home of RadioLeMans their RS2 Schedule (scroll to the very bottom of their page to see) shows live coverage starting from 6:30pm GMT Jan 28th through to race end 7:00pm GMT on Jan 29th. RLM may also have some live visuals also judging by the little TV icon.

Registered
If Daytona is on Radio LM on YouTube as usual, it's great coverage,panning shots at night of the cars on the banking is particularly impressive.
John hindhaugh, lead commentary, is excitable at times, but is much more knowledgeable than someone on bluesky and tends not to comment via his rectoral orifice.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts