SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I need help , as purchased the James Bond 007 DB5 with ejector seat and rear guard. Well all good in that but not what I was interested in. My eyes only for the car to run in digital against my GT40. From my inspection of the car,Hornby have not made it easy with a digital plug available to a new build car. So who has the skill and brains to convert as I am at your mercy.

Thanks

Scooby doo

Prof I T
hi
it sounds like it will need a retro fit solder in chip maybe a saloon or f1 type but rest assured its 100% do-able.

Registered
Hold on, Bigbird,

If you go to Jadlam's site and look the car up, they say it cannot be converted.
Link to Jadlam DB5 product

to quote:
"taken from a set these cars will be supplied in a Scalextric Racing Pack.
the DB5 car is not suitable for conversion to digital
unfortunately there is just not enough room inside for the chip."

This scuttled my plans to digitize one.
Cheers!

Greg Gaub
heh, maybe they don't like to chop up interiors. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff in the car to make the gimmicks work, though. It's possible that it would not be possible to chip it without losing some gimmicks, but I still find that hard to believe. I fully expect someone to take on that challenge and chip the car without losing gimmick functionality.

Prof I T
hi
scaley advert said the same about lotus type 49 and eagle gurney and they have all been done.I think on of the smartest installs that looks impossible to do is the caterhams and of course the moto gp bikes have bee done as well.

Sounds like the f1 chip will be needed maybe with a trimmed board and cut down wires but i would say we will see it appear in the chipping database sometime after xmas.

Registered
I guess the gauntlet has been laid down...

The challenge is laid before all to be first to resolve.

Cheers!

Robb
I've had one apart, and it won't be difficult.
Theres room in the rear for the chip, the hardest part will be the sensor needs to probably be mounted under the drive shaft, so the interior needs to come out (but not modified).

Robb
QUOTE (sealevel @ 10 Dec 2010, 22:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hold on, Bigbird,

If you go to Jadlam's site and look the car up, they say it cannot be converted.
Hmmm, thats the set car they are selling there, no interior = lots of room!

Registered
Robb,
I see there are now 2 versions, one with NO extras like ejection seats, and the Goldfinger version.
Maybe someone can tell us if the Goldfinger one has any room inside for a chip.

I wonder what Jadlam is talking about then?
I asked them once about the Jag D type and they replied that they could not chip it after several attempts.

Interesting discussion...

Cheers!

Robb
There are 2 versions of the Goldfinger DB5 - the set car with no frills and the limited edition box version with everything - both are Goldfinger.

Jadlam - I really don't know much about, they were quite unhelpful the one time I have spoken to them, I don't think they have the skills to convert the more difficult non-ready cars, but I don't know anyone thats seen their work (anyone?), I could be wrong.
Saying they failed after several attempts seems a bit odd wording to me, you either can or you can't, you don't repeatedly go back to trying a car.

Prof I T
hi
there are several cars that have been in the scaley catlouges that scaley themselves say can not be converted to digital.They have to be cautious in there claims as to what can be chipped as some of the cars i going to be bought by people who do not have the skills to chip some of the cars.

They only claim a car can be chipped if they make the chassis with mounting posts and the whole drilled for the led senser,But as some people on here are more skillfull in there approach to installs its amazing just what has been chipped.

I would say the hardest has got to be a moto gp bike,Its only a matter of time before the goldfinger with the tricks is chipped.

Greg Gaub
QUOTE (bigbird @ 13 Dec 2010, 06:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would say the hardest has got to be a moto gp bike,Its only a matter of time before the goldfinger with the tricks is chipped.

Funny you should mention those, Ade.
Fantasy World recently got a big shipment of those in, and is clearing them out at $10 a piece. I bought 4 yesterday. They drive as badly as everyone says, but I'm crazy like that, and plan to chip them. I'll be scouring the web for any previous examples, but I've already taken one apart to see where a chip could be installed and not be seen. It will be a challenge, but the bigger challenge will be trying to get them to go around the track without jumping out of the slot so easily.

I'm sure the Bond car can be done, and I look forward to seeing it.

Prof I T
hi
the moto gp bike is in the chipping database if my memory serves me right,with pictures to boot.

Registered
Re: Jadlam's answer about chipping the Jag D-type.... here was their answer... I had asked if they had a list of what can/cannot be chipped:

Hi
This car cannot be chipped, we have tried, just not enough room in there, the partner car Mercedes can be though
We dont have a list, only in our heads
regards

- jadlamracing

Cheers!

Premium Member
Done it!!

No cutting of any plastic.

Fairly straightforward.

The fiddly bit is getting the interior back on with all the wiring.

WARNING!! Be careful when you take the car apart. There are some small parts and springs that work the ejector seat and bullet shield. The mechanism that works the seat is held in place by the interior. I had to unscrew the interior to get the car apart. Take some time to learn how to reassemble these bits before trying to chip the car.

Also, make a note of how the rear lighting wires are routed to the front.

The chip itself is mounted on the underside of the rear parcel shelf.

The LED is mounted in front of the guide blade. It is set into the body work.

Font Metal Rectangle Fashion accessory Wood

I extended the LED and power wires.

The car already has a Mr Ferrite man on the guide blade and one on the motor. These are left in place.

I took the lighting wiring off and connected them to the yellow and green wires of the chip, along with the guide wires.

Then it's just connecting the chips power wires to the motor.

Check the car works before reassembly!!!

Put the ejector lever back in position on the chassis with its spring. If you are careful it will stay in place.

Position the interior back on the chassis checking that the seat lever locates into it's hole and the rear lighting wires are in the same position as you found them.

Put in the interior screw next to the seat lever. This will make sure the lever stays in place.

Next, one by one, feed the chips yellow/green/red/black wires into the gap on the drivers side of the car between the chassis and the interior. Make sure the rear wheel is not impaired by the wires. There is a piece of the interior that sits on the rear wheel bearing - make sure the wires run within this piece.

Once you are happy with these wires, and the interior is seated properly, secure the interior to the chassis with the other two screws making sure any wires are clear of the screw holes.

The LED wires can be run between the interior side and the car body, but not yet.

Next attach the LED into the slot in the car body as shown in the pic.

Make sure you put the bullet shield spring back and then put the body back on the chassis, locating the LED wires down in between the interior and the inside of the car body.

Holding the car together, check the shield and seat works. Check the guide and all wheels can move freely.

When happy all is ok, screw the body back on.

Now test it again!!.

Easy, wasn't it!!!

Steve

Attachments

Living the Life&#33;
Presumably, you used the F1 chip?

Prof I T
hi
ahh a chipped aston db5,we have been expecting you.!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts