SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 27 Jul 2004, 00:28)good find!

Don't forget the DCC supplies voltage or current to the train motors, a given voltage/power for each step, which has been chosen to result in those speeds.

However, a train has a different inertia, mass, motor and gearing to a car, so the transformation from the train graph to the porsche graph will not be simple.

Also to get the porsche graph for a given slot car will depend on the motor, mass, gearing etc of that particular car, so different slot cars will need different graphs, in an ideal world.
And the same would be true for every single electric train model out there - there are many gear/rpm/weight combos.

Prototype vs scale weights are also so far apart that even in model railroad speed table udjustsments it is a trial and error process.

This is not a "train vs car" thing - but simply, a "how best to simulate this car vs that car and scale speed" thing..

For fear of repeating these things, but this is one of the first custom configurations I have spoken about when ever I arrived at a slot car forum.

· Registered
85 Posts
This is the way I present it.

I have 4 Ferraris - a Carrera Enzo, a Policar F355, a ProSlot 360 and a ProSlot 360 Challange.

The Carrera has it's stock electric motor, the F355 and ProSlot 360 Challange each a Slotit V12 and the ProSlot 360 has the motor from the ProSlot 360 Challange.

In this scenario, the Enzo should be the fastest at full throttle.. so I determined what I would like it's max voltage to be.- which would hopefully be the max speed - an appropriate 212mph.

Then I compared (all by eyeball I might add, considdering I don't have a long straight) how the other cars rated at their new max voltage to give them top speeds ranging from 180mph to say 165mph for the 360 Challange (the lower top end representing the lower gearing a track 360 may have over it's road counterpart)

Then I spent some time jacking around with acceleration and brake delay to simulate the fact that the 360 Challange would have awesome brakes - in essence no brake delay so that rolling the throttle closed had an appropriate instant reduction in volts.

A similar result is possible with assigning different voltages to the same speed steps for the differing cars.

This would simulate the shorter time in which the Enzo would reach the same "speed" (different voltages may be required by different electric motors to show the same "speed" for 2 different cars) than it would take an F355.

Make any sense?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.