SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky to get this on camera. Would have looked amazing if the lighting were a little better. I tried to shoot at 60fps which meant this could have been HD quality with no motion blur.
But hey it`s still damn cool ...

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Keeto and I spent several evening filming power slides in slow motion, several time we had this, even better were the double de-slot re-slots and the 180 degree de-slt re-slot. Annoyingy I missed catching the full 360 on film.

Have a look at the slow mo video on on the assc YouTube site

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow... awesome stuff ... 180 de-slot !!!

I think we must have recorded the equivalent of a mile of analogue film till we finally got a decent de-slot re-slot.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
The most difficult thing is the filming, at the 240fps you only get a 10 second window so there was hundreds of attempts to power slide made, t was only by chance we caugt the reslots. The video took me forever to edit lol.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I seriosly gptta get one.... but before I go jumping the gun I guess I best check out price... Would work well with sports shots I need to capture.

Ok I checked out the xacti hd2000. It does 60fps at 1080p. So you must have dragged the footage out to 240fps in post. Did you use a plugin called Twixtor to extend the footage? I tried using 500fps but get lots of warping around the edge of the moving object.

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,832 Posts
I have a Casio Exilim ZR100 - it is a compact Digital has 12.5x zoom shoots video at 1080 and high speed - 240fps at 432x320 resolution it will also do 480 fps and 1000fps but at a lot smaller resolution

you can see a crash filmed by my son here:

and another one at racing the other night

the flicker is caused by fluro tubes

cheers
David

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's probably the biggest issue when shooting slow motion footage... florescent tube lighting. The flicker becomes unsuitable at higher frame rates.

I'd love to hook up some decent studio lights and try again .. I was considering having a go with a simple construction site portable light.. anything is better than fluro tubes.

If anyone ever decides to build a permanent layout.. one of the big tips I'd suggest is install anything but fluro lights. I believe every track designer would be doing themselves a big injustice having fluros.

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,832 Posts
Thanks for embedding the videos Doug

I did use the code but only managed to get 2 big white boxes on the screen so thought I had done something wrong.

**** - lol I bought a $10 portable halogen light - I said it was so I can use it when working around the house but I also plan to use it to light up the track. I need to go back and get the $15 the $10 was like 150watt and I need something a bit brighter.
Here is another video (see if the code works for me)

cheers
David

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
The exacti drops the resolution to get 240 fps, it actually does 600fps but the image is very tiny. My video shows 4 screens without stretching the resolution. To ge a 1080p with 240 fps your looking up to the £10000 pound mark, well when I looked a year ago. The xacti is only around £500, better still it has an optional 40m deep water proof housing which works fantastic.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wraith: I checked the drifting vids on your site.... nice work, really enjoyed the 4 panel screen with the 180 de-slot. I'll check out the xacti cam more too. You mention the cam had a drop in resolution... so what sort of resolution will it output at 240fps. The res. looks fine for web related video. You should try taking a shot at 240fps and then slow it right down in post using a plugin called Twixtor... try doing a youtube search on twixtor slow motion ... The quality is amazing.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DM: sounds like the casio is similar in res/fps as the xacti... Would be cool to see some shots with decent lighting. As they say getting the shot is one thing, presentation is king... I think it works something like 50% setup / 10% shooting / 40% post... but this is just my opinion.... Everyone has there own style etc....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just had a thought.... Wouldn't it be cool to have a club meet devoted purely to slot car related video, photography techniques... with a splash of racing on the side. Perhaps a meet where a mutual goal is established to shot a short film, exploring techniques etc...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I stopped in at Tottenham Court Rd. yesterday arvo... asked about a good camera for slow motion work... the guy behind the counter pointed straight at a Canon XHA1s ( around 1,500 pounds )
Does over cranking etc.. no problem, and still keeps true 1080 HD quality.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.