SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I`m making my home track and I have read very things abault the dead strip time control,the problem is that my computer dont have pararel port only Usb ports,it is possible to use the dead strip conection to the Pc using the USB port?

sorry my bad English
Thanks
Nelson

·
Simon Platten
1,060 Posts
Anything is possible, however implementing it isn't going to be trivial. USB is a serial interface, you are going to need a board that takes the electrical signals from the dead strip and makes a data packet to send to the USB port. Then you will need a device driver to interpret the data packet to make it useful for any software package.

You will need both electronics and software skills to do this.

Hope this is the kind of feedback you were after.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,591 Posts
Hello Nelson,
You should read through this thread - Linky

They open up a mouse and wire the button switches to dead strips. The software seems to be good to use.
I have not tried it.

Kind regards, Leo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I understand that it will very dificult to use the usb port.
Another question if I buy one DS infrared bridge it is possible to use the PC to control the times whith one software like ultimate race manager or other??

than you again
Nelson

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Bigbird made a start/finish gantry with lights and connected to the USB port via a Velleman K8055 circuit board. That board was provided for by SSDC software as an alternative to the parallel port.

I have such a board but have not assembled it yet. The Velleman or the Phidget boards are the two alternatives I know of for connecting to the USB of a laptop or PC.

Cheers!

·
Registered
538 Posts
QUOTE (nelson @ 25 Apr 2012, 22:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok I understand that it will very dificult to use the usb port.
Another question if I buy one DS infrared bridge it is possible to use the PC to control the times whith one software like ultimate race manager or other??

than you again
Nelson

Hi Nelson if you are going the purchase route rather than DIY, checkout out trackmate racing our club uses a trackmate interface using a deadstrip with a serial to USB converter into a laptop. A lot of the available PC software i.e. Ultimate racer and Race Coordinator support this interface.

If you want to try DIY, you could also look at connecting sensors upto a USB gamepad, much as the mouse suggestion earlier, with the advantage that USB yoypad is supported by a lot of existing software.

Kevin

·
Rich Dumas
3,546 Posts
In the past what ever track sensors you were using would be connected to a computer's game port, serial or printer connector. Dead strips have always been a concern because track voltage can get fed to the computer port and burn it out if special precautions are not taken. In addition the voltage generated by the cars motor as it crosses a dead strip can cause miscounts if it is not wired correctly. In any case the latest computers only have USB ports, so some sort of interface is required when you only have those. Nearly all of the tracks that I run on have dead strips and the solution to the problems that I mentioned is to use Trackmate, which has its own interface that connects to a serial port. Lacking a serial port you can buy a serial to USB adapter, the adapter needs to have a driver installed. My own track has Trackmate with the dead strip option and I use a laptop computer with an adapter that I also got from Trackmate. The virtue of Trackmate is that you connect things following their detailed directions and everything should work perfectly. There is a Trackmate discussion board where you can find answers to any question that you might have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again,another question and another solution it is possible to connect one DS infrared bridge to the PC,my Pc only have USB ports?

Thanks again
Nelson

·
Simon Platten
1,060 Posts
No, the dS light bridge just contains phototransistors and LEDs, you would need a micro of some description to take the electrical pulses from the phototransistor and send a serial packet to the pc.

·
Simon Platten
1,060 Posts
If your using a computer, depends on the age of the system. The simplest system is to wire direct to the parallel port. Systems that use the serial port or USB (with the exception of slot mouse) need a box of tricks to package up the signals into a data packet, like the DS-200 / DS-300 systems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Maybe you should check out www.cockpit-xp.de.
They have a box with USB to connect to a computer. Normally it works with their own software (wich is not too expensive), but maybe if you know anything of computers you can use it with another program.
Normally it works with phototransistors but I think you can manage to make it work with deadstrips also.

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
QUOTE (RichD @ 26 Apr 2012, 12:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In the past what ever track sensors you were using would be connected to a computer's game port, serial or printer connector. Dead strips have always been a concern because track voltage can get fed to the computer port and burn it out if special precautions are not taken. In addition the voltage generated by the cars motor as it crosses a dead strip can cause miscounts if it is not wired correctly. In any case the latest computers only have USB ports, so some sort of interface is required when you only have those. Nearly all of the tracks that I run on have dead strips and the solution to the problems that I mentioned is to use Trackmate, which has its own interface that connects to a serial port. Lacking a serial port you can buy a serial to USB adapter, the adapter needs to have a driver installed. My own track has Trackmate with the dead strip option and I use a laptop computer with an adapter that I also got from Trackmate. The virtue of Trackmate is that you connect things following their detailed directions and everything should work perfectly. There is a Trackmate discussion board where you can find answers to any question that you might have.

I recently bought the Trackmate system along with the USB connector. Only question is why did I not buy it sooner Works great.

QUOTE (-Sy- @ 27 Apr 2012, 02:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If your using a computer, depends on the age of the system. The simplest system is to wire direct to the parallel port. Systems that use the serial port or USB (with the exception of slot mouse) need a box of tricks to package up the signals into a data packet, like the DS-200 / DS-300 systems.

Instead of trying to find a box of tricks would it not be easier to find an old desktop puter with a gameport?

·
Simon Platten
1,060 Posts
Ok, before you spend any money, decide what software you want to run and then find its requirements in terms of a system. No point finding an old PC only to find it can't run the software or the OS required by the software.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts