SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,anybody else having problems with getting modern roundel decals to adhere to curved bodywork without leaving crease lines,think I've tested most of the solutions and settled on 'Micro Sol'
I know they also do Micro Set but never used it,it's usually (depending on the car) the one finished element that I'm not happy with.I'd be grateful for any comments.
Cheers for now,
Rod.

·
Rich Dumas
3,797 Posts
If I recall correctly Micro Sol is stronger than Micro Set and may damage some decals. I suppose that the best bet is to try Micro Set first and only go to Micro Sol if it does no work well enough.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,375 Posts
Rod A lot depends on what decal paper the supplier has printed the decals on.
Some papers have much thicker " varnish" than others,so do not bend as well.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,I'll keep your info in mind,maybe need to do some tests on decals from various suppliers !
Rod.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Rod

I use Micro Set and Sol on every build.

You start with the blue bottle (Micro Set) which slightly softens the decal and aids adhesion, once the decal conforms to the body I apply a very light amount of the red bottle (Micro Sol) and this really pulls the decal onto the body.

When the decal has to conform to an irregular surface you sometimes have to repeat applying the red bottle (Sol) leaving it to dry between coats until it has completely snuggled down.

As Phil says the effectiveness of Micro Set and Sol does vary according to the make of the decal but I have yet to have a problem with any make of decal.

Obviously do some tests first and don't be surprised with some decals when they crinkle but they do flatten out when the Set or Sol dries. Once you become familiar with how it performs you will really be pleased with the results and wonder how you ever managed without it.

David

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
Second the Micro set and Micro sol method, will work in 99%of the time.

And for really hard jobs like sharp 90 corners and compound curves on wings body work splitters etc etc (decalling carbon detail)
There's the cheap but potent alternative of 70% isoprophyl aclcohol, best to let the decal dry thouroughly so it has a good bond with the body.
And if that's not enough try the 90%...and if all fails there's always acetone (but be very carefull as this will literally liquify your decal)

with kind regards

Tamar

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
I too use the Micro Set, then Micro Sol method and can't believe that, with patience, you can get flat decals to adhere to compound curves. It's a little hard to see but on this ProtoSlot Matra, the green "ring" around the nose of the front air intake curves in multiple compound directions after starting off as a flat oval.

I found that the trick is it understand that the decal will wrinkle and look very weird while it is drying. You need to just follow the instructions.

gallery_2573_568_8210.jpg

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,you've all been very helpful,looking forward to improved decal/roundel results.

Cheers for now
thumbsup.gif

Rod.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am no good at all at applying decals. I would appreciate advice!

The surface is curved in all directions. I first brushed on Micro set, transferred the decal and brushed on more and pressed gently with a moinst cloth.

After drying there were some little wrinkles in the outer parts so I brushed on Micro sol and left it over night, thinking I followed instructions...
unsure.png

Hood Motor vehicle Red Paint Material property

The result is not too pretty! Can this be saved? Did I put on too much M-sol? O r shall I do it again? Actually it was better before applying Micro sol...

Decals are Pattoo's, it is a one peace decal, roundel and number. I have got only one spare...
yikes.gif

Help, please!

Carver

Attachments

·
Pete Shepherd
1,694 Posts
I use the Micro sol and set and find they work well. Sometimes for really big curves and different shapes and before I have dipped the decal in water I will cut into it where it is likely to wrinkle, this relieves the pressure and the decal will sit snuggly into place. You may get a very very thin gap and I mean really tiny but the number often covers it if not I touch it in with some acrylic paint and you can't notice it.

I also use a scalpel once the decal is dried and will cut along any shut lines and then go over with micro set.

Pete

·
ParrotGod
9,876 Posts
I usually apply a bit of Micro set on the surface where the decal has to go.

Then put the decal on and use a brush with Micro sol to position the decal and brush it flat.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Carver

Don't be too quick to resort to the knife.... Repeated applications of the solution and letting it dry between each application will smooth out the majority of the wrinkles. Only when you don't see an improvement after an application do you need to get the scalpel and touch up paint out.

Like everything in scratchbuilding two of the most important tools are patience and working methodically. Taking things slowly and carefully will find a decal conforming to almost any shape on a bodyshell.

David

·
Bob Chapman
6,995 Posts
Couldnt agree mpre with Davids suggestions.
Micro set on the area first, then the decal , then more Micro set.
Let it dry, and then use the Micro Sol to have ot conform to shape. And yes sometimes it takes more than one application to cause the decal to soften and adapt to the curves in the body.
I have used this method on many decal types and it does work in the long run.
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
Normally I would agree totally with David, but in this case since the decals have dried for an extended time...and there are still wrinkles...
and since some of the wrinkles are more or less in the middle of the decal... I would consider making two small cuts along the shutline.
This will give the decal some freedom and space to expand and form itself around the curved panel when you reapply the decals softner

Once the decal has softened a bit you can try using a (wet) brush or lint free piece of cloth to smooth the wrinkles.
Apply gentle pressure starting for the middle of each decal section working your way towards the edges.

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with you Tamar but Carver doesn't say the decals gave dried for an extended time. But as with a lot of things in model-making we all have our own ways of working and the way I use Set and Sol has always worked for me - others might do it slightly differently and that works for them.

David

·
Registered
535 Posts
All this is useful information for me. I was not aware of that you can work so much with the decals after applying them. Now I know!

It is very helpful to know how others do when trying to find your own way.

So what did I do? I used most of the techniques described above...

It did not turn out perfect but a little better. Maybe next time!

Cheers Carver

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
After seeing this thread at the beginning of the week I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about Micro Sol & Set..
Iv previously been using Vallejo Decal Softener, which is ok, but upon using the Micro Sol this evening I don't think I'll be reaching for the Vallejo stuff anytime soon.
I havnt needed to use the Micro Set yet, is it strictly necessary to use it if the decals are well stuck down?

·
Circuit Owner
5,928 Posts
I dont have micro set - only micro sol and it worked fine on the large laser printed decals on my truck. Just a misting of clear acrylic to protect them after a thorough drying and its good to go.

I guess it depends on the decal material. The stuff I got was cheap generic laser decal paper from eBay - good enough for a truck that gets raced digitally. But my quality standards are lower because of the bashing the cars get.

Micro set may add something that maybe the concourse builders can enlighten us about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts