Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya folks

I'm just getting to the end of a re-decal of the black Pro-Slot 360 Modena with Rentabel decals. The visual improvement is outstanding and my clear coat appears (for once!) to have worked.

HOWEVER......

I'm a bit stumped as to what to do with the windsceen decal which I have stuck to the windscreen. I am loath to clear coat the clear plastic with a spray and wondered if anyone has a solution (tee hee) to this.

I have both Micro-Sol and Set which I have used to soften decals but as this model appears to be going so well I don't want to fug it up by messing up on this one decal.

I clearly (oops) can't leave it uncoated.

Can anyone advise???

Cheers

Frosty

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
It maybe a little late now
but how about sticking it INSIDE the windscreen?

One technique is to soak the decal and when it releases rub a little of the glue from the backing sheet onto the topside before positioning it.

P.S. not sure nail polish is a good idea Mr T - doesn't it contain acetone which attacks some plastics?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about sticking on the inside JohnP, but it is too late as I have impetuously stuck it on the outside.

Masking and spraying may well be the answer; although it carries the risk of creating a visible line where the clear coat ends. It would certainly protect the decal though.

Am I the only person who has stuck a windscreen decal on the outside??

Frosty

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I`ve done this before and used a mix of water and PVA which dries clear. Use a size 00 brush to paint over the decal having first masked off the screen. Any spills will peel off anyway which is why it`s better than paint or varish. The result is a satin sheen and it looks good.

But by far the best method is to cover the decal with a strip of cellotape, cut around the decal so there is no excess and then pva to the windscreen. The decal is protected and can also be replaced easily. It makes sense to colour copy your decal before hand and then you can use over and over again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A light has come on! - thanks to Jonny S!

As the decal is already in place, I think I will just cellotape carefully over it and viola, done-dooded.

Frosty

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Glad you liked that. Want to trade a set of decals for Scalextric Renault? Send me a car and I`ll pay `Gary the Gadget` to fit up one of your cars with his lighting system. You won`t be disappointed mate!

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
I clear coat my finished cars, windscreen and all, with Future acrylic floor wax - just did a Jagermeister re-livery of Scalextric 962 this way. It actually improved the appearance of the clear portion by filling in the minor dings and scratchs that had accumulated on this old body.

EM

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I posted somewhere (?) regarding giving bodies a coat of Yacht varnish. It realy does stop scratches. You cant get a tougher and thicker varnish and it is nice and shiny too!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Last night I carefully placed a strip of cellotape over the decal and trimmed the edges before re-installing the windscreen/windows piece of the Ferrari.

If you align the cellotape accurately you 'can't see the join' as Eric Morcambe would say.

Finally reassembled the whole thing and am very pleased with the overall finish. Can't post photos I'm afraid as my PC wouldn't know what to do with one (it takes ages to load a single web page!).

Suffice to say that Pendle have this body-decal combo currently on offer and if you are a fan of the 360 Modena then I would recommend it highly!

Cheers for the help
Frosty

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Just to add to the mix, I use some stuff called 'Protec hydrocoating clear gloss', which I got from the Model Shop in Moorfields in London (great place which normally caters for makers of architectural models, who are VERY demanding professionals- so they have some very interesting gear. They also have a web site). Anyway, this stuff is designed to 'demist' clear mouldings, and give a protective coat. It works very well and even hides glue smears if you're lucky. Basically though it's a PVA varnish which fills microscratches, but it does, as it says on the bottle, give a good clear gloss to otherwise tatty windscreens, headlamp covers, etc. And it's water based, so relatuvely harmless to decals etc.

Address on the bottle is; Protec Hydrocoatings, PO box 69, Wallasey, Wirral L459NS

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Nice one mate hadn`t come across that even thogh I`m involved in manufacturing architectural models.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE I posted somewhere (?) regarding giving bodies a coat of Yacht varnish.
Board Tips:
Technically off topic, but very relevant in an overall sense, this board facilitates doing a Search on All Forums in one operation. Typing in the word 'yacht' (omit the ' ) would VERY swiftly find all posts with that word present - 'yacht' it isn't a VERY common word on a slot site. So, if you have lost an older post, remembering one or more significant words in the post will dig it up for you.

The search here is really good, infinitely better than E Z Boards.
Trumpet blowing over.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Acetone is an ingredient in nail polish REMOVER. So I'd take fair punt that a clear nail polish would not only do the job but it would give it a nice shell as well.

Good to hear the job is done.

For Fun:

During the Ming Dynasty, polish was made from a combination of beeswax, egg whites, gelatine, vegetable dies and arabic gum. The polish we use today can give its thanks to the car industry. Today's polish is a refined version of car paint.

~ Shirley Bragg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts