SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

In some posts I read that someone made decals in a home printer. I guess it was an inkjet printer.

My question is: how can I made my own decals with an inkjet printer?

I am curious about this!

·
Rich Dumas
3,539 Posts
At my local hobby shop (Branford Hobbies, Branford, CT, USA- shameless plug) I came across a kit that Testors makes for making your own waterslide decals on a inkjet printer. It cost $7 and included some software. I was talking to a friend that does graphics work. He said that one problem with ordinary printers is that they don't print white, and in fact graphics programs only see white as the absence of anything else. The trick that he uses is to generate the image in a graphics program and use some otherwise unused color in place of white. He e-mails the graphics file to the outfit that does his printing with the instructions to convert those areas to white.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Coming from a knowledge base of almost zero, I am risking my neck here!
But surely it is possible to print onto a white medium?
This would fix some of the problems.
The other thing that interests me is how to use an inkjet for water slide decals - the ink is usually water soluble these days and that has to pose more problems.
Alps printers use a wax die sublimation process that overcomes this difficulty but these are no longer produced.

I will be quiet and just read suggestions from wiser, more experienced people now!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE The other thing that interests me is how to use an inkjet for water slide decals - the ink is usually water soluble these days and that has to pose more problems.

I've seen that you can spray coat with acrylic varnish to seal the decals but I havn't tried it, yet (got some WHITE decal paper for when I get round to it though).

·
Rich Dumas
3,539 Posts
The trouble with decals that are printed on white film is that you have to trim right up to the printed areas to avoid having a white fringe around everything and what if you want just plain white characters? Decals printed on clear film with an ink-jet are semitransparent. You can coat decals printed on an ink-jet with an acrylic floor wax, such as Future, if you do it carefully so as not to smudge the printing. Once the wax is dry you can slap on more coats with impunity, or even paint over everything with a regular clearcoat.

·
Rich Dumas
3,539 Posts
The trouble with decals that are printed on white film is that you have to trim right up to the printed areas to avoid having a white fringe around everything and what if you want just plain white characters? Decals printed on clear film with an ink-jet are semitransparent. You can coat decals printed on an ink-jet with an acrylic floor wax, such as Future, if you do it carefully so as not to smudge the printing. Once the wax is dry you can slap on more coats with impunity, or even paint over everything with a regular clearcoat.

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
For your 7 bucks,the Testores kit comes with a CD with DEcal making software,Two sheets of Decal paper(1 clear,1 white)AND,a can of clear lacquer to set them.

Quite a bargoon I think.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
On the subject of decals...

Does anyone know where in the uk you can get decal softening fluid (to allow the flat decals to conform to curvy cars better)? Or do you know what is in decal softening fluid, so I can buy some of the chemical from the chemist?

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
You can get everything at Hannants- they have Micro Sol and Micro Set, and all sorts of decal stuff, mainly for model aircraft and so on, but they're a very useful stockist! They also have the metal foil that is good for 'chroming'...

www.hannants.co.uk

Harbour Road, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft, Suffolk NR32 3LZ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts