SlotForum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apoligise if this is wrong but im a newbie to slot forum sooo.
I have a large floor digital layout, comprising of both sport and classic track and nine cars.
Ive decided to enlarge it with pits extra wide straights etc.
I have some questions though

Firstly i know there is probally a topic somewhere about this but i couldnt find it, but how do you create power jumpers on a digital layout. Is it easy, and can it be created in such a way that it still allows me to constantly change my layout?

Also how long on averidge can a circuit be without needing power jumpers?

Can you run non scalextric digital cars ie ninco or carerra on a scaletric digital layout?

Ive noticed from some pics that users use a different power base (with a blue screen), i believe it maybe carrera? Could someone please elaborate and explain the advantages?

Also is there added complications in adding multiple lanes and a pit?

thanks benjamin

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
Welcome to SlotForum, Benjamin!
You've asked a variety of questions, and you'll probably have more after this, but here goes.

1) you can use the Scalextric brand power taps if you like. They're made for analog track, but work fine for digital. Just connect the spades to the tabs under the straight tracks. As with analog, it's important not to cross the polarity, so keep in mind which color goes to which rail respective to the direction of travel.

2) That depends on how bad the connectors are. Some people make rather large layouts without them, and some have small ones that need them. If you notice a power drop on your track, tighten the connectors to and from it. If that doesn't help, run a jumper to it.

3) You can install a Scalextric Digital chip into almost any car, but the cars will not run on the track without a scalextric digital chip installed. If your layout supports analog running, as with an upgraded C7030 (old 6 car) base, or the new C7042 6 car base, then you can run any car in analog mode. Carrera cars have large guide blades that need trimming, though

4) There are a lot of things out there when you bring other brands into the conversation. For Scalextric, there is the old 6 car base with a small screen that has a blue backlight. Is that the one you're thinking of?

5) I'm of the opinion that adding lanes to a digital track with a max of 6 cars is a waste, and only serves to spread the cars out even more when the idea is to encourage interaction such as passing and blocking. There are no technical limitations, though. If you use pit lane sets to expand the lanes, you can go as wide as you want. The tricky part comes with lap counting. Most people just go back to two lanes for the start/finish, but some add additional sensors to the powerbase electronics to enable lap counting on the added lanes. If you create a parallel set of lanes, note that you might need to provide power jumpers to them. Using pit lanes to expand the track provides power to those rails, though jumpers are never a bad idea.

I hope that helps!
-Greg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou greg, i believe i was thinking of the old scalextric digital power supply, thankyou for all the info its a great help
benjamin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just thinking, would i be able to use a simple model railway wire, a quick look on scalextric showed that it looks very much the same? I already have many so it would save me a tenner.
However i still want my layout to be changeable so would this compromise my layout?
benjamin

·
Registered
984 Posts
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...mp;page=SLAP-03

This link covers Track maintainace and making your own power taps for Sport track and a good laugh!

Look at stuff on SSDC on this forum. This at least to some of us is the ultimate extension. Fuel burn, superb lap counting and race organisation plus lots of other bits to play with.

Pits are no problem to add. You can cut costs by cutting down full straights to reduce the cost of single strights. One trick if you do decide to do this is put a fillet of hot melt glue down either side of the cetral web before you cut the track. This holds the web in place. With care and a straight edge its possible to almost cut down the middle of this web. Use a fresh disposable (18mm) knife as these are really sharpe.

I agree with Mr F that the whole point of digital is to have traffic so two lanes is enough on a big track.

Whatever you chose the aim is fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts