SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a very stupid question, but here goes..........

The vast majority of my car collection is RX- motored, and I run the cars with the magnets removed. I've noticed that one particular motor induces far more downforce than the others (my track is Scalextric Sport). Short of trying to source a replacement motor - and maybe getting one that's as bad or worse - can I reduce the downforce effect of the one in question?

TIA

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,866 Posts
Cut some steel shim the same size as the motor and stick it to the bottom of the motor. Those motors need shim about 0.25mm thick, I used the lid of tins for a while until I got some steel shim of eBay. The steel is magnetic and prevents the magnetic field escaping the can.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,866 Posts
... I can't see why sellotape would have any effect whatsoever on a magnetic field!

·
Rich Dumas
3,589 Posts
This stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-3311-Silver-Aluminum-Foil/dp/B007Y7EOT0/ref=asc_df_B007Y7EOT0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193184886406&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18421125160128604351&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003368&hvtargid=pla-365040473927&psc=1

You would not think that aluminum tape would block a magnetic field. I do not race on tracks where magnetic downforce is a factor, but I do have a magnetometer and some aluminum tape, so it would be easy enough to do a test. I worked in a lab for many years, I often used magnetic stirring plates. Some of those are hotplates with a rotating magnet, some only stir. I was aware that if something was thick and difficult to stir that putting an aluminum plate under it would often be helpful. I suppose that the aluminum acts as a flux condenser.

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,281 Posts
So I went and dug my Gauss meter out, dug out the car in question and gave it a SWAG test (Scientific Wild Assed Guess) and found conclusive evidence!

With the tape on, 387 Gauss max reading, without tape 392 Gauss reading - no bloody difference in reality! Probably just slight variation in placement of the reader.

Had a good look at the bottom of the pod, and saw some scrape marks. Looks like the actual reason of it appearing to brake differently for corners is less friction against the track rails, hence rolls a touch easier under brakes.

So, non ferrous shim or raise the motor in the pod then!

Two common methods of degaussing in my business is either repeated blows with a bloody big hammer - tedious in the extreme, or put it in a degausser - a big magnetic field generator to disrupt data storage.

Neither ideal for your objectives Stu.

Splendid, get that tape off your fridge, you'll never get a good lap time doing that.

·
Registered
986 Posts
>>That's Wales mate. Odd stuff happens here.

So I've heard. Kept meaning to visit to check some of it out. Ancestry and all that.

On this side of the planet, the laws of physics are being relentless, despite the recent legalization of the green. This was the only grippy motor in my pile. After five layers there's the slightest reduction in the already weak field, but only what you'd expect for distance. I'm out.

Bumper Wood Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,866 Posts
So I went and dug my Gauss meter out, dug out the car in question and gave it a SWAG test (Scientific Wild Assed Guess) and found conclusive evidence!

With the tape on, 387 Gauss max reading, without tape 392 Gauss reading - no bloody difference in reality! Probably just slight variation in placement of the reader.

...So, non ferrous shim or raise the motor in the pod then!
I didn't need someone to test this to make my mind up...you need ferrous shim, it's iron you need to reduce the magnetic effect and steel has iron in it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts