SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have been off the forum lately because I have been working on a car for the other Proxy race from VRAA. I saw Ken's lovely ATS and thought I would post the next generation. As some of you may know, and I hope I have this right, the ATS did not work out to well and so Alf Francis convinced Derrington to help support an effort to use the ATS motor in a different car. Chassis, etc. by Francis. As fate would have it, I built the Derrington Francis for the other proxy race. I will up load some of the photos of the chassis now and then pictures of the completed car, hopefully later today or tomorrow. I discovered some very, very small eye bolts and nuts, etc., and used those to build the suspension. (I will put a reference to the site on later.) The rear suspension is not a working suspension, but I think it could be. Tony Condon uprights, by the way!!

Line Font Aircraft Auto part Metal

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Musical instrument Vehicle

I am still working at posting things, so hopefully you will be able to see them okay. As Ken knows, the ATS has a lot of the suspension and other parts showing. The whole rear end including the rear drive assembly is visible on the Derrington.

more shortly

thanks

all my very best,

Charles

HI,

Here are some more pictures of the car as I made some progess.

The front end with the front uprights. At this point, I was trying to build in steering, but had to lock this all in place. The final build has discs for the brakes between the upright and the front (Supershell) wheels.

Wood Gas Composite material Outdoor furniture Metal

Here the motor is sitting in the chassis and the body parts are laid out. At this point the rear bulkhead has not been soldered in place so by undoing six nuts the whole rear suspension assembly and rear bulkhead can be removed. The rear wheels are specially made by RanchDesign for the proxy race. I drilled them out so that you can see through the inserts. I also hollowed out the back of the wheel so that the upright sits inside the wheel. It is hard to see in this photo, but the D-F had inboard rear discs. They are sitting on either side of the crown gear.

Circuit component Auto part Gas Wire Fashion accessory

Another view of the rear end. The springs and shocks can barely be seen. They are also mounted with eyebolts and nuts.

Toy Machine Font Auto part Metal

By the way, the nuts and eyebolts etc., can be sourced at scalehardware.com

all my very best,

Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi Charles. Thank you for calling my car lovely but after seeing all the work that you have put in I still consider myself a NOOB when it comes to detailed chassis building.
Good luck in the "other" proxy race. Ken

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi chuck
Thats something special
Glad that the uprights were of some use to you and nice to see them being utilised in the way they were designed for

Cheers tony

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some final pictures. (Please note as Peter mentions about, Thanks Peter!, simply click on the pictures to get them to enlarge.)

If memory serves, Phil Hill complained that the quality of the chassis work on the original was "agricultural." .... and that when they needed to change a motor at one point, the ATS mechanics had to cut out a chassis cross member to remove the motor. I trust Ken did not follow ATS practice with his car, unfortunately with the Derrington .... once the motor is in, it is in. I had to chop away at the nylon end bell to get it to fit, but so far, with a bit of fiddling, it is okay.

Here the rear sway bar is visible and you can see that the motor is in the chassis.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Car with the front body shell removed ... you can sort of see here that the crown gear is actually visible.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Car

Here are a couple of pictures of the original D-F from the rear and the one that is currently racing today. (The current version has slight differences in body work and elsewhere from the original car.) Thanks to Dave Jones and Mark Huber for helping me find the pictures.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Finally, the view from above. Mark uploaded a nice picture of the view from the side.

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Toy

The Derrington Francis ran in one race, 1964 Italian Grand Prix. It did 19 laps with Mario Cabral at the wheel before retiring.

Prototypically, the D-F was faster than the ATS, in 1/32 scale I am sure that Ken's car is much faster than mine!

Thanks for all the kind comments. It is great to have the forum!

all my very best,

Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm shocked and awed. The engineering and fabrication work is amazing. And I love the obscurity of the subject car. Guaranteed you won't see another DF racing in the adjacent lane.

Old23

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Charles,

Your model is not really my era of race cars, but I've to say that I admire your skill in craftsmanship
nice work.
These type of race cars remind me on my first figure 8 slot track, when I was 5 years old. There was a yellow and a red same kind of race car, but a very simple plastic version of what you've got there. They had paper sticker decals, that would fall of after a while, a brass pin for slot ski and the cars drawn on the box where more impressive then what was in the box, but boy where we happy
a moment of happy memories, and I'm probably not the only one of my generation who could recall such happy thoughts.

Cheers,
Danny

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Hi Charles
Masterful - that is just wonderful my friend!!

And more than anything thanks for documenting and posting all your hard work....

That is a real slot car and I love it.

Keep it up

Andi

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hey Charles....

I missed your car on the board but found it in the competition. I just wanted to say that this car is a great build. You have captured this car real well. I'm a big fan of these F1 cars from the 1960's. The chassis and the details are lovely brother. The ball joints at 1/32 scale are amazing. The car sits right and looks correct. Well done Charles, I hope more people vote for this car because it deserves it brother.

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
I managed to miss this as well - sheeesh - what a great car and a superb piece of work -
for me this is what I love about the forum - I didnt even know there was Derrington Francis - love the car!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.