SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slik has said:-

QUOTE So are you now telling us that you would like to see Scalextric produce a car to directly compete with the likes of the Slot.its, Fly Racers and seminal Proslot Toyota GT1?

Given that there appears to be pent up demand what is required to produce the perfect club racing car?

It has to have a reconisable 1:32 scale outline with some detail but not necessarily Fly type detail.

And it has to be a car that will satisfy the club racer market and run straight off the shelf box standard with a minimum amount of work.

And priced at around the £40 mark if at all possible.

The cars listed above by Slik clearly come close but are any of them perfect?

Come on then. Tell us. Whats it going to take to provide the ultimate club car?

A complete run down please of body, motor and configuration, gears, bushes, axles, wheels, tyres, guide, brushes, and anything else you can think of. It may be that a manufacturer might read this and think about creating exactly what club racers crave for. And clearly it has to run on wood tracks as well as plexy and without magnets.

And what sort of handling do you want?

How do you want the car to corner and react when you brake?

And should it have suspension and 4WD and a floating guide?

And are you bothered what the wheels look like?

A list of what you consider are the best components on the market today may suffice but do they all marry successfully or are some an ill mixture?

And do you believe it is possible to produce a car with a single specification that will run with and without magnets or will a car that offers this be a jack of all trades and a master of none?

I cannot offer any help here so its over to you.

Moped

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Moped, I am confused.

Slot .it offer the Audi and 956 that are both damn good cars out the box! The best car that anyone makes, is there own.

Some people prefer to have a fast car in a stright line and some prefer a steady car that can be fed out the bends easily, and easy to drive. Personally it's the former and there is no excuse to not have enough power.

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
I offered info to scalex 20 odd yrs ago and was sent a letter which indicated they were not intrested ( some of the features I mentioned are now standard) why should they listen now I'll stick with the likes of slotit who will comunicate with the club racer and take on board any feedback be it positive or negative and already produce a top class product at reasonable cost

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
dear moderators, can the forum open up a new section called 'Mopeds bizare world' where moped can open all these baffling threads? I think they deserve their own area as they are on another planet from the rest of the contents of slot forum

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
We are all agreed then that Slot.It already produce the perfect club car.

All any manufacturer has to do is construct a car with Slot.It parts and the club racer is satisfied.

What could be simpler.

This is clearly going to be the shortest thread on record.

Moped

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
No slot its cars arent perfect but they are a damn site closer than any thing scaley have ever produced .There is and can never be one car to suit all as every driver has a different style and aproach so each car needs to be set up for each driver to get the best out of it just as in 1:1 racing slot it offer 2 good cars and a chassis kit with the potential to be adjusted to suit all drivers Your search for the Holy grail of slot cars an out of the box car to suit every one doesnt and wont ever exist all we can hope for is a compromise and at the moment slot it offer the best option ,and unless sclaextric make me a sound financial offer to desighn a car then I certainly wont be doing it for free on the forum or giving it to some one else to present as there own ,Ive made that mistake once already

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE dear moderators, can the forum open up a new section called 'Mopeds bizare world' where moped can open all these baffling threads? I think they deserve their own area as they are on another planet from the rest of the contents of slot forum

Maybe it is baffling to you and of no interest because you are not a club racer. Not every thread started is of interest to every member of Slotforum and if you do not wish to read a thread then you do not have to. I am not a club racer but if I can be the catalyst that helps club racers get what they want then so be it.

However, it already appears that they have what they want so it would be pointless of any other manufacturer commiting money to R & D to develop something that may be of interest to club racers.

Moped

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
it is baffling because it was obvious that the answer would be 'slot it make a brilliant club RTR and Fly Racers are close behind' - you new the answer as did anyone who regularly reads this forum - so why ask? thats whats baffling.

In your section, you could pose other interesting questions such as 'should a slot car have 4 wheels if the 1:1 original also does?'

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slot.It do appear to produce cars that are favoured by the club community but does that answer the series of questions?

Is it so simple that all a manufacturer has to do is disect a Slot.It car and produce something that is 10% better/faster/stronger in every area?

Moped

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
If it is 10% better in every aspect it will put the price up 20%!

Slot.it cars are value for money compared to Fly, Scalex, Ninco and others

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Moped,

As has been mentioned above, you do have a habit of posting questions you know (or believe you know) the answer to. Over time people can see this and it does get annoying. (BTW that's not a personal opinion, it does get annoying.)

Not sure why you do it, but instead why not try - just for a while - to engage rather than enrage?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Perfect Car:

Minimal overhang infront of the front axel, and behind the rear axel.

Wide.

Oppertunity to install any motor you wish.

Rigid chassis.

Long wheelbase between the guide and the rear axel.

Decent guide system.

True (perefably alloy) parts as stabdard.

Strong. reliable parts.

Low, wedge shaped body.

Fast round a track.

As soon as a manufacturer produces something which meets all these criteria, I will buy it. Why do you think I am so keen on the Slot.It Sauber C9?

McLaren

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Moped

I agree with the sentiments expressed that the Slot.it cars are probably the best currently available r-t-r's for club racing. They certainly have been widely copied; Fly and Spirit "Racing" versions, as well as the Reprotec Nissan, have all "borrowed" the good points from Slot.it's design. I think that the new generation Scalextric cars with the soon to be available (when?) bolt-on go-faster bits should be good too -- even though axles, gears and bearings will be non-standard 3mm diameter and therefore not interchangeable with other makes.

For me, the best currently available club car is however the TSRF32 "Club" version. The 1/32 r-t-r "Club" chassis, complete ready to run with alloy wheels, alloy gear etc. is expensive though at £54.95 (or £51.55 in kit form), especially compared to the basic r-t-r version at £40.54 or £37.86 in kit form. In addition, you need to add the cost of a body.

The TSRF32 chassis is very robust and withstands the rigours of club racing, although replacement components are readily available as well. There is also a host of upgrade parts made by both NSR and ILPE which can be bolted on if you want to go even faster. As a bonus, the design of the TSRF32 makes it easy to install a digital chip, which will be necessitated by the direction that slot car racing will take in the near future.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
I'm kinda in accordance with McLaren:

Body should be fairly light and slightly flexible.

Motor should be around 25-30 thousand rpm, but should still be swapable.

Gears should be well meshed and not strip them selves. Not bothered about ratio. Slot.It have a cracking idea about offering both sidewinder and inline motor pods that are interchangeable, so that should be done. If it can't, then side or even anglewinder.

Axels should be true, as should wheels. Obviously try get em light.

Wheels should be about 19mm diameter, with the backs wider than the fronts.

Tyres should be fairly soft, but not too grippy. Fronts should be very low profile.

The flag should be deep, and not scared of scx / classic. Braid should be medium hardness and wires straight form the eyelets to the motor. No easyfit, brass connections, or any other of that rubbish.

Aesthetics wise, if the car is more fly racer (ie having a plain body) then detail need not be as intricate and the wheels can have any hub. If its a replica (ie slot.it) then wheels should be the same design as they were on the 1:1, same for mirrors and any other detailing.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
To add further to my previous post, and agree with LMP04:

Body needs to be extremely light, as should the rest of the car.

I agree with his points about motors, wheels, and tyres and stuff, but in reality I'm not concerned as they will be swapped for Slot.It stuff everytime.

I think they guide should be like the SCX system, as I think this is the best all round. It's quick and easy to change, I've always had perfect continuity with it, the self centering spring it just right. Not too strong like Scalextric, but stronger than flexibale wires. It also doesn't interfere with the front axel at all, and it's spring just the right amount in the vertical axis aswell. The only thing I would change from it would be that instead of the motor having tabs which rest on the metal that runs down the side of the chassis, the metal would stop about half way and have wires about 15mm coming out of the chassis. They would have spade connectors at the end, so that motor changing would be another easy, simple task to do.

The motor would be in mounts similar to Slot.It's, but with the option of an angle winder set up for long and short motors. It would also have a bracket which went over the top of the motor, which either clipped or screwed into place. This would mean that motors could be secured without the need for glue. Roller bearings would be included in the mount in a similar setup to Slot.It's, where they bearings can rotate in all axis to fit the axel perfectly. It would also have Slot.It magnetic suspension on all four corners.

The whole car would have an adjuctable ride height system, where, with the inclusion of washers, the guide, front axel system, and motor pod could be raised and lowered in the chassis, effectively raising or dropping the whole car.

Braid would be a soft as possible, or I'd just change it to SCX racing braid.

Asthetically, I don't care if it is ugly as hell, if it's fast, I'll buy it. It doesn't even have to be a real car, bring back the thingies!

Can't think of anything else for the moment, but that'll give the big guys at Scalextric something to think about.

McLaren

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I would have said that the ideal club car is the simplest and cheapest to get hold of, which needs and promotes as little fiddling and fettling as possible and means that you put the emphasis on whoever's got their finger (or thumb) on the trigger.

They have to look good too.

That way, if you want new people to come along and get enthusiastic about your club, it's accessible. Meanwhile the old sweats can really tough it out, lean on each other when they're running side-by-side, accuse each other of hiding heaven-only-knows-what sort of engines in their stock cans, sniff each others tyres suspiciously and then go for a pint and talk about how 'close the racing was tonight'.

We never had club cars per se at my old outfit - though doubtless the bossman will refute this! - but the ready staple was SCX 4WD without magnets. The racing was regularly good enough to stick on TV, the cars never broke (are you listening, Fly?), and absolutely everybody could buy them for peanuts and run what they brung.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I think Moped was refering to the perfect car for racing at clubs, rather than the perfect car which can be provided by the club for the purpose of racing by all. Although this is another good point.

For a club provided car, I would like to see zero detailed bodies, no wings that can be broken. Bullet proof running gear. Medium to hard tyres which maintain a consistant amount of grip throughout their life. And it need to be overpowered, massivly overpowered. Good drivers shine through when driving cars which are too fast for the track, IMO. And that is a good thing

Mclaren

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
QUOTE (McLaren @ 4 Oct 2004, 11:59)It would also have a bracket which went over the top of the motor, which either clipped or screwed into place. This would mean that motors could be secured without the need for glue. <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is a great idea and Cartrix has already done it on their NSX. It gets old having to glue and then break motors free to replace them!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts