SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just received the new Fly BMW 3.5 CSL cars into stock today. Great looking cars, and far too long overdue in my opinion.

But, my point here is, are we paying too much for unwanted detail ? This car has separate underbody rear brake cooling piping fitted, which is only visible because its bright orange and you notice it when you flip the car over.

As a racer, I would want the underside to be as clean as possible, without any gimmicks. As a collector, I am buying a slot car, NOT a detail shelf model. What do other people think ?

As a dealer, I have seen Fly sales decline rapidly in the past year, half because of the price and half because of the cars they produce. If price is at least 50% of that decline, should Fly continue to add extra detail parts which are largely unseen and maybe not required on a working SLOT car ?

Hmmmmmmmmm.......maybe too contentious for my first posting as a newcomer to the forum ?

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Hi Garry ,
welcome to the forum .
I do aggree about the exesive detail on the underside of cars for racing purposes ,if I want this amount of detail in a model I buy a die cast .as first and formost a racer I want performance in a slot car because that fine detail soon gets lost when its been raced a week or 2 ask **** Lord for proof of that scalex indy car 1 race big accident scrap
cheap and cheerfull with a reasonable level of apearance (proslot)is good expensive detailed models have a place but I dont think its in club racing

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Nice picture Gary and a first class advert for those new cars just in mate! My personal belief is that there is too much detail for the money and most of it falls off during a race. As for putting them on the shelf well the Fly collectors didn`t last long did they, a very short phase. I blame Fly for releasing so called limited editions that are anything but limited. Take a look at some of the many negative views regarding Fly and you can only be depressed my friend...

Jon at Phoenix

·
Registered
752 Posts
Seems like I'm following that Inte guy everywhere

It's interesting to see a dealer to admit that FLY sales are well down...

Anywho... Yes it was my Daytona that he borrowed, and no I don't think it'll stand up to the 'cut and thrust' of club racing.

I'll never forget the day my FLY M3 went on the floor at the club.... we were picking bits up from it for weeks afterwards

Now to balance it up a bit - before I get accused of FLY bashing again, perhaps my all time favourite cars are the FLY Ferrari 512s in all three variants. Lovely runners once you've glued and trued 'em
Mind you, those must be going back a year or three now.... Aye... when I were a lad... etc etc

-Rob

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Personally - as a less serious racer - I love the detail on the undersides of cars. Fly, amongst others, do a 'racer' series for people who want a serious racer, and detail is not a priority.

I love the realism of the little cars, and since they do crash and roll and end up on their rooves, I like a bit of attention to detail underneath. Perhaps more important on a slot car than on a die-cast!

As for is the new detailing excessive - havent seen a pic of the underside of the BMW. I am not interested in the underside being as detailed as the top, but I do appreciate the underneath of both Fly and Scalex GT40s.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would like to see a less frilly, sturdier "racer's" car produced. The detail on some of the model racing cars is a tad excessive, and as someone already pointed out, it basically falls off during a race anyhow.

Back to basics?

in ohio

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (MRE @ 22 Jan 2004, 12:13 AM)This car has separate underbody rear brake cooling piping fitted, which is only visible because its bright orange and you notice it when you flip the car over.

Welcome, Gary!

I don't mind the detail on the underside - it will give me something nice to look at for most of a race!

Ahem...I don't think I'm that bad.

I agree that ANY detail on the underside of a SLOT car is a waste of time, money and effort, as Graham said, the underside should be smooth. A bit like a Cadbury's Boost (I think?) "Slightly rippled with a FLAT underside"

However, I do like the cars to look like their full size counterparts, so top side detail is great in my book, even though some of it may fall off during racing. I never was too keen on the BRSCA type vacform bodies - they look far too flat to bear much resemblance to the original car. Apologies if that opinion is far too generalised and sweeping.

Horses for courses, everyone's different etc.

Mark.

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Interesting observations and probably for the Club Racing scene Spot on.

But don't forget there are lots of us out there who don't race at clubs only on home tracks. As I don't have a permanent layout at the moment my cars only come out infrequently and when they are used it is not under "racing conditions".

I think Fly cars are great, I've never had any of the problems that seem to crop up on this Forum with other contributors cars, such as wheels falling off etc. and mine run "out of the box".

Tuning a car for maximum performance is of no interest to me, ( I had my fill of that during the 60's/70's with ECRA), I am more concerned about matching different cars performance so that they can run together.

The more detail the better, (although I agree over detail on the underside is a lttle wasted).

As far as price goes, I've never paid more than £28 for a new Fly car which I think is fair, but I don't normally buy cars that have just been released.

Regards

Alan

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
It would be nice once Garry gets settled in here if he could post some pics of his paint jobs on vac forms ,absolutly superb and well worth showing to the rest of us if you havent seen Garrys work your in for a treat

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Some cracking points there and I agree with you. Manufacturers envisage that we will race their cars side by side, which makes sense. As to not buying on impulse...I`m getting there slowly and it`s sound advice. Wish I had your control

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmmmmmmm..........seems I started something here !

Detail underneath a slot car doesn't have any place in my carbox as a racer, as getting a car onto the track has only one purpose......to win races.

Detail on the top of a car is a good thing, as a collector I want to see accurate replicas of the real cars that I know and admire, but they are still slot cars and working toys.

These are my personal opinions, and anyone can disagree if they want to.

As a dealer, (quickly changing hats here !) all feedback is useful as my livelihood depends on what the customers are buying. If I can give that feedback to the manufacturers then the result should be cars that keep everyone happy. Of course this only works if the manufacturers listen to the customers.....

Most of the forum members will know that I take the opportunity to go to Nuremberg every year and discuss the products with the manufacturers. The Nuremberg report on the MRE website has proved VERY popular, indicating that there are a lot of racers and collectors who want to know whats happening.

I would be quite happy to take a cencus of opinion to take to this years Nuremberg show, and maybe give some productive feedback to Fly and others. I am sure Sean will be willing to do the same, as we will be at Nuremberg togther this year. Maybe excessive detail and the cost of doing it could be a starting point.......maybe I should start another thread for Nuremberg !

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Graham for the compliment.

It'sa long time since I painted any bodies now, but I have a few knocking around and some pics from the Nationals and Worlds somewhere, so maybe I'll find some and get them on here if anyone is interested........

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
I like Fly cars generally, mainly because of the level of detail. I've only ever had one that caused me any grief ( a Marcos with a poor motor). I'm a home racer so my cars don't get quite as much use and abuse as a club racers'.
But although I'm in favour of models with a good level of detail I think that some of the recent Fly cars have become a bit too fragile - the M3 is a good example. I want a car that looks nice, but I don't want to be afraid to put it on the track for fear of damage, because that defeats the object!
And Fly are only going to lose more sales if they don't do something about their prices. Everybody else are producing good cars, maybe slightly less detailed, but for 10%, 20%, 25% less money. Fly cars have become an extravagance that I can't afford, or certainly not as regularly as I once did.

Rob

·
Registered
263 Posts
Pretty interesting topic here and one that will draw many different opinions.

For 'toy' race cars I really do believe that scalextric match fly's detail and to their credit they keep the prices down which results in more sales. We need to remember though that Fly is still made in Spain versus China for scalextric.

I seem to recall that Fly released their GB Track cars which are about 30% cheaper for the 'real racer' and at that point made it clear that the Fly range would advance forward in detail for the collector and Hobbyist.
Albeit the range isn't as big but this was their intention.

There is also an exclusivity with fly, they don't often LIMIT their numbers but their production runs are smaller than scalextrics. I do get caught up in that NEW model rush although not as easily as I used to.

·
Registered
714 Posts
For me, Fly detail is expensive, excessive and pointless. All the more pointless until their cars will run properly, straight out of the box, on a regular basis. I say on a regular basis because, to be fair, some, but not enough ARE OK out of the box.

In the meantime, my resistance to their price 'structure' (Stretching a point to honor it with the word structure) has become so second nature that I will not buy any of their cars except in a stock reducing/clear-out sale. I do literally mean NONE, and nothing they make now will ever induce me to pay the full price. They have turned me off so far that I barely even take a glance at their new releases.

Sorry, that looks such strong stuff, but it is factual truth.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.