SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some other interesting cars from the Detroit show. Do we have any members going?

Chrysler Firepower

Lexus LF-A

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
LF-A

LF = Lexus Future

We've already had LF-S (sedan), LF-C (coupe/convertible) and LF-X (cross-over SUV) so I guess A is for Awesome. Or Awfully fast!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Funny that, Astro. Yup it's getting harder to cool them. As we like to say "there's no heat on a computer" (or gas flow, for that matter). Cars have been designed from the outside-in for several years now, but lately, the powertrains are being "blister-packaged". Large, heat-rejecting objects stuffed into ever tighter spaces make perfect sense to me!
Did you see that Volvo spaceship? Looks real easy to see out the back!! I'll be going to the show to drool till I dehydrate slightly, then on to the beer! BTW I do hope Ferrari has something nicer than that poorly fit Scalietti they brought last year! That thing looked like small children assembled it

·
Alan Tadd
4,034 Posts
Does anyone know the difference between the Crossfire and this new Firepower?...

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The crossfire's styling seemed to be aimed squarely at americans who wanted a merc clk but couldn't afford one. I do like the crossfire, thats just my opinion after 2 weeks of driving around in the states and having to do a double take when either of those cars drove by to see which it was!

Most of chryslers recent cars seem to be based on some other succesful modern car, apart from the PT. Not so sure about this one though...

·
DT
5,195 Posts
More info: CHRYSLER FIREPOWER - CONCEPT

Chrysler brand standards of elegance, refinement and affordability are executed with precision and passion in the Firepower "grand tourer" concept. Powered by a 425bhp 6.1-litre HEMI® V-8, the concept is based on the Dodge SRT-10 but with an uprated suspension, it is rooted in a feeling of luxury and performance through sleek design and precise engineering.

The Firepower pushes beyond the "sports car" realm by blending expressive detail and engineering. The two-seater concept features a tinted glass roof that extends to the rear liftgate, allowing driver and passenger an enhanced feeling of spaciousness.

The HEMI engine, which uses aluminium cylinder heads with hemispherical combustion chambers for outstanding airflow leading to higher power and torque, produces 420 lb ft of torque has an estimated 0-62mph time of less than 4.5 seconds and a 174mph estimated top speed.

Click here for a really big version of this shot

IMHO - Where the Crossfire was the US equivalent of SLK (although the SLK is popular there), the Firepower looks like a contender to go up against today's Corvettes and Vipers. I quite like it. Looks like you have a really nice driving position. Lets hope they produce it.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Does anyone else see a 928 in the back of that Firepower?

And it seems we have another sports car with DB9 rear arches...

Andy

·
Registered
715 Posts
EXACTLY!! Even before seeing the last two posts I was thinking: "The 80's are BACK!" Fewer notches and more fast/hatchbacks these days it seems.

If I were in the market for a Corvette, I would SERIOUSLY consider one of these. It is interesting that Chrysler is just cranking out prototypes and tooling for new vehicles like mad, while Chevy and Ford seem a little less flexible. Chevy may be resting on the laurels of the Corvette marque. However they do not seem to be very innovative with anything else in their product line. I could design something better than just about anything they have produced. Malibu? Impala? Come on! Rental car drab.

-M

·
Registered
146 Posts
I get to attend a pre-show preview tomorrow. Most of the cars should be there but some of the displays will not be complete. I was just trying to locate my battery charger for my camera and if I locate it I'll have some pics.

I want to see a Corvette Z-06 in person, it should be a really great car. The dual Hemi engine Hurricane is the wildest vehicle at the show.

It has become apparent the last few years that there are no new car designs, all of the new cars seem to be based upon themes seen before. This is not something new as even the 280Z mentioned in this thread was an acceptable copy of the Ferrari GTO. Maybe we should start a thread on favorite car designs stolen from someone else, mine was the early Toyota Celica that looked like a cartoon version of a Mustang Mach 1. Anyone else remember that one? It made cars like the AMC Pacer look decent.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Speaking of the 928 Porsche, the Corvette is based very much on the 928 (front motor, rear trans.) A co-worker of mine who was at Milford (G.M.) witnessed the disassembly of about a dozen 928's while he was there. I miss the hidden headlights, though, to me it looks alot like the old style Viper from the front, and the current one at the "gills". Still, a very cool iteration from an excellent team.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts