Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
1,488 Posts
Ryan Blake, Lee Pateman, Phil Rees and I are teaming up with Ed Fahey and Dr Ronan Donohoe from the Dublin Slot Car Club to run in the Slot.it oXigen digital Le Mans 24 Hours over the weekend of 23/24Mar13.

We are very much looking forward to racing alongside event founders Gary Skipp and Alex Jones and 14 other teams. Our team name is the very catchy DHORC with Dublin Slot Club.

More details to follow

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Isn't driving a Saxo when your 6ft odd tall a feat of endurance?

Good luck to Nick and the DHORC/Derby crew and all the other teams for that matter.

1,488 Posts
On the way back from a stay in London my wife Suzy, son Jamie (fellow DHORC member) and I made a quick (15 minutes) visit to a very snowy Henley-In-Arden to see Gary Skipp and Alex Jones' 1/32nd digital version of our Le Mans 24-Hour race. I missed last year's race being in Hong Kong and was hoping to run in this year's event but unfortunately our teammates from Ireland who have 1/32nd experience had to pull out. Hopefully it will be third race lucky in 2014.

The first impression I had when I walked in was how quiet it all seemed, the cars were much quieter than ours and the acoustics in the hall much better allowing Gary to use an audio system to announce the progress of the race. Gary was just finishing his latest announcement when we arrived. It was good to meet up with him again at his event.

Despite the track being two feet longer (236 feet) than ours, with so many cars going round (12) and the cars being four times larger than HO cars, it actually seemed smaller. It already seemed strange with the track being on the floor despite ours only being on tables for the first time in 20 years in 2012. The scenery really gave the track a more real look, Gary and Alex had clearly gone to a lot of trouble with the aesthetics

The pits complex was very impressive with cars coming in to the pit lane for any work to be carried out.

The kink didn't look like it was flat but the cars, all running with lights, looked good as the were flat down the Mulsanne.

There were far more lane change tracks this year, with several at Indianapolis and Arnage corners.

The cars looked great through the Porsche Curves, the lack of down force magnets allowing them so tail slide in places

The paddock was very reminiscent of the DHORC event, although there were more tables for more teams

The hired drivers' platform looked far more sturdy and safer than ours being roughly the same height. Race Control seemed virtually paperless which has to be a good thing!

With each car running an in-car chip they were able to run a fully computerised race format that really helped those at Race Control

Altogether it looked a very professional set up and I wish Gary, Alex and all a successful event. Hopefully DHORC will be there in 2014

Cheers
Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts