SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
1,488 Posts
These are our Crash and Burn tracks we use each year. We run five Crash and Burn races a year (Rockingham is used twice for two different classes) out of our 26 Race season. They are so much fun and often result in some different results compared to our other tracks which can only be healthy for the club.

These are run where if you crash or someone crash's into you, you are out. On two of the ten lane tracks (Indy and Daytona) there are ten three minute finals with the driver with the most total laps at the end being the winner. For Rio it is a little more cruel with ten qualifying rounds and the finals being a one off three minute final so you could qualify on pole and finish tenth if you crash on turn one. But there again you could qualify 20th and win the 'C', 'B' and 'A' Final to take the overall win. It all adds something different and are very enjoyable evenings

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Do the cars get removed from the lane regardless of why they burned? Hit by another car, or a marshals hand perhaps?

What about when somebody goes around hunting out others to take out on purpose? I know you have had that problem.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Do like the ovals racing and with crash and burn can throw up some interesting results, for example if I hadnt made silly mistakes at the Daytona round on inside 2 lanes and just done my average score would of been about 3rd in the B final. Will fix that for next seasons King of Speed championship I hope

1,488 Posts
Glad you like them Lee, they certainly had variety to the Championship and you can make a difference to whether you are taking out by others by keeping alert for anything happening at the corner you are approaching, you do see folk stopping and waiting for debris to be removed. Another skill required to put together a full championship attack. Some folk are just brilliant on the six inch inner tracks which can count for so much at the end of the race.

Am sure you will thoroughly enjoy the King of Speed in 2013

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
QUOTE (LeeH @ 26 Aug 2012, 22:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do like the ovals racing and with crash and burn can throw up some interesting results

But you do also enjoy the WHO ovals with marshals, right? With those there is still a heap of skills needed beyond just driving the car around, there is some luck too, and often the winners come from unexpected places. You have seen this.

What you don't get are incy-wincy offs in turn one of lap one that cost you a huge heap of laps over the whole night, the same as if you had had a genuine 'crash', followed by a night of hoping others screw up too and come back to you.

I guess I like my destiny in my own hands a bit too much to give CnB a proper crack. I think if you are not in the group always up the sharp end, and looking for quick way to get there, it might work. Might.

One of the things we are looking forward to doing down at HONK with the computer timing is race analysis. We will be able to analyse who is fastest and who crashes the most. I suspect the two groups are mutually exclusive, which means that CnB does not help anyone, it is just, quite simply put, random.

·
David K Phillipson
1,443 Posts
QUOTE One of the things we are looking forward to doing down at HONK with the computer timing is race analysis. We will be able to analyse who is fastest and who crashes the most. I suspect the two groups are mutually exclusive, which means that CnB does not help anyone, it is just, quite simply put, random.

about as random as marshalling, will the marshall take one second to put the car back or will he take five seconds, will the car need some adjustment, etc etc all random problems
some forms of racing tickle some people others are tickled by different forms of racing , each to their own.

nitpicking and constantly questioning something you dont have an interest in gets us nowhere.
if you dont like a particular form of racing then dont bother commenting negatively just give it a wide berth

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Respectfully, I have to disagree. Whilst it is by definition hard to quantify randomness, one can extrapolate from known data. For our racing, in a crash where the body and shoes stay in place (and that would be by far the biggest percentage) worst case scenario you would lose 5% of your potential score in a race where the target is 40 laps. The exact same crash in a 40 lapper with crash and burn has a WCS of 100%.

Obviously, the data gathering at HONK will shed some more light on this.

As for negativity, again with respect, I have to disagree. I'm am confident on any given day I could go into the forum and find people being critical/negative of, say, Scalextrix. The Mods don't intervene, and when Adrian responds, to his eternal credit he tends to do so calmly and comprehensively. Quite often there are gems of information and exchange of ideas in with the nonsense that simply would not be there is one was to smack down everything that was not totally neutral or full of praise.

Crash and Burn is one of those topics that has plenty of advocates and plenty like me who don't like it. So long as it does not get personal then surely from a forum perspective this is a good thing? Threads with plenty of debate are forum life-blood, and for some their sole Raison d'être.

If you are against my view as a mate of Nick's or as another forum user, you are entitled to that view. If you are against it as a Moderator then in all fairness you should apply it to the whole forum. You will be very busy.

·
Registered
612 Posts
In my opinion, crash and burn doesn't work and would never knowingly go to an event which uses such a system.
Why?
Because I go to race and to give it my all, not to circulate at 80% to 90% of my full speed because I'm trying not to come off, coming off not only has the potential to lose you a lot of laps, but time too. I for one wouldn't want to travel just a few miles and pay my race fees, not to get my money's worth because I've lost a lot of time due to crashes (and the possibility is that it would be a lot more time lost than if I was badly bad marshelled), And i would not to travel just a few miles not to be able to give it 100% either.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
That is a fairly common 'negative' (I prefer critical) view of CnB Paul, one that I share even though I am pretty good at the 90% thing.

It is the being taken out by others part that puts me off the most. It is especially true of the Rock, where one would ache to be able to go balls-to-the-wall with other cars on unlimited amps.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
My limited experience of oval racing is that if someone deslots on an inner lane then they'll take out drivers on the lanes outside, ride another slot or someone on an outer lane will crash into the deslotted car. Crash and burn is alright for slotstox but I wouldn't want to use it for anything else.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I have had a couple of goes with SlotStox, and would do so again, since it is understood that the whole point of it all is to wreak the other guy.

I'm with you on the oval thing, whilst the self-inflicted crashes might well be less, the ones that are somebody else's fault will be way more. On the WHO ovals it is a real skill to avoid all that, and keep an eye on the turns well ahead of you, but you also need some luck. At least with marshals when your luck ends your race does not.

1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Paul,
Respect your view but it certainly works for DHORC the evenings are great fun. Re distance travelled Lee made over a 300 mile round trip to DHORC for the Daytona 500 and ended up doing 260 laps equal to 3.7 miles of racing so you do get plenty of track time (at least double a normal night) and with 21 other races in the season where the normal racing occurs it does add something different to the evenings.

Cheers
Nick

1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HO Slotstox looks fun Julian, just another version of Crash and Burn, would be boring if we all ran to the same rules wouldn't it?

Am sure that works for them like DHORC's form of Crash and Burn works for us. With 10 cars going into Turn 1 at the start of each three minute race it takes some restraint to be part of the pack and you can see different tactics coming forth. I would say that it is probably one in ten races that someone else takes you out, invariably it is yourself who makes the mistake. Can't wait until 11Sep12 for Rio

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
538 Posts
QUOTE (DERBY (UK) HO RACING CLUB @ 28 Aug 2012, 11:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>HO Slotstox looks fun Julian, just another version of Crash and Burn, would be boring if we all ran to the same rules wouldn't it?

Am sure that works for them like DHORC's form of Crash and Burn works for us. With 10 cars going into Turn 1 at the start of each three minute race it takes some restraint to be part of the pack and you can see different tactics coming forth. I would say that it is probably one in ten races that someone else takes you out, invariably it is yourself who makes the mistake. Can't wait until 11Sep12 for Rio

Not putting yourself on the outside of someone is always a good tactic in CnB racing. I love CnB racing for a change and it is a very different challenge (don't see why we need to bicker about it?), I don't crash too much in normal racing; however as soon as we switch to CnB I'm usually one of the first out.

Never tried an Oval, I don't really get Oval's in 1:1 racing but would like to give it a try. I missed the night Marc and Andy did a tri-oval at FLBT.

Anyway Your oval tracks look very interesting, maybe next time I'm in that part of the country I can give it a try.

Kevin

·
David K Phillipson
1,443 Posts
have removed posts pertaining to slotstox only as they are not contributing to this topic
if you would like to talk about slotstox then start a new topic dont hijack another one

·
David K Phillipson
1,443 Posts
QUOTE As for negativity, again with respect, I have to disagree. I'm am confident on any given day I could go into the forum and find people being critical/negative of, say, Scalextrix. The Mods don't intervene, and when Adrian responds, to his eternal credit he tends to do so calmly and comprehensively. Quite often there are gems of information and exchange of ideas in with the nonsense that simply would not be there is one was to smack down everything that was not totally neutral or full of praise.

in this case the negativity is warranted and constructive.
But when people spend all their time trolling topics looking for anything to be disruptive and negative is neither warranted or constructive

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Sir,

I must protest as that is not what I am doing. As somebody who races in the niche that is HO, and is in fact heavily involved with organising HO races, it is inevitable I would see all the HO-related topics appear and move as I hit view-new-post. Equally, then, that I would comment.

I then express my genuine point of view, with no expectation other than others will be doing the same.

·
David K Phillipson
1,443 Posts
then perhaps one day the people of chorc, dhorc and schorc will see replies from you showing the enormous amount of enthusiasm that you have for the scale that you show so well in other aspects of it

You obviously have great regard for these very small cars but scant regard for the members of the above three clubs by constantly offering negative undertones to almost all your replies to these clubs

if you wish to continue the debate further with me then pm me

·
Registered
730 Posts
Nick

Thanks for sharing your ovals and more importantly the way you run them with us, each slot club is different and you know your members. Racing HO cars on ovals is a niche within a niche on these shores and as such any pooling of information is valuable.

When we tried out oval HO at our club, albeit with xtractions we ran the full set up marshals, track calls, track mate the lot, that's what suited our members but it was a low ish turn out, ten racers perhaps? and we are from BSCRA stock largely and quite like the opportunity to shout MARSHAL or TRACK once in a while. It worked for us, some would have hated it.

My other experience was a WHO club night, they have marshals but no track calls, the fact you could get put back on encouraged people to push but there were some big old collisions, one of which cost me two places in a final as by chance the guy who picked up my car didn't know what to do with a popped axle.

Interestingly the looser format at WHO probably produced a more predictable result than our experiment, I'm guessing you still get the good guys winning with CnB, or the more intelligent ones anyway
certainly be asking Lee H about the experience next time I see him.

I have enjoyed following the thread today but not impressed by the intervention of a moderator that almost seems pre conceived. As the debate moved on during the day his position did not.

Slot stox could hardly be more on topic in a discussion of crash and burn racing could it? The nit pick line may have been applicable to other threads but not this one so why trot it out now? I think the UK HO scene behaved with integrity today, Slot Forum International? I'm not so sure and that is not what I'm looking for from the only online activity I actually pay a subscription for.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts