SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Well I thought I would write a diary of my digital experiance for all the racer's who are new to Scalextric Digital as I am so that we could learn together about this new interest I have.

I will start with some introductions My name is Brett I live in Australia and I like slow walks on the beach but you only need to know that if we get real close

I have been analog racing for about 2 years now and got my start with the A1GP set, it included the Australian and New Zealand cars. I have 3 kids so I thought I would purchase some more cars. I now own France, Great Britian, Germany, Holland, Switzerland and Italy (still want to get USA and Canada). My switch to digital came about because of my kids fighting about who's turn it was (3 kids, 2 slots doesn't mix well in my house, thank god the love of my life and Minister of War and Finance didn't want another one. Could of been 4 kids, 2 slots and a new 1:1 car as well
) So after hearing about digital I was hooked. A chance for all of us to race and no missing out on turns, but I can see in my minds eye about the fights of crashing each other off the track
, win some lose some but I will try anyway.

Choice of System

I chose Scalextric because of my existing A1GP track (and the Cheese and Kisses liked the idea of using what I already had) and from what I can work out the ease of converting existing cars to Scalextric Digital. I looked at the other system's, but in this department it won hands down the video I saw from Hot Slot's 132 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ALwvkB6EI...mp;feature=plcp (thanks Kent) made it look like something I could do. Now I have read about the conversions but seeing it made it all fall into place especially when before the seeing the video I didn't know what end to hold (I now know the hot end gets hot so stay away
)

The other systems had their advantages but trust me in the end it comes down to personal choice (I know how much I hated hearing that especially when all I wanted was for someone to say get X System you cannot go wrong
) but it is true the system you get is the best whether it is to take advantage of existing track or start fresh go with the system you feel right about two books helped me out here by listing positives and negatives, Slot Car Racing in the Digital Age by Robert Schleicher and Digital Slot Car Racing in 1/32 Scale - by Dave Chang both books were very helpful in giving advice and idea's on setting up and other aspects of the hobby. If I had to choose which one to get first I would get Digital Slot Car Racing in 1/32 Scale - by Dave Chang (personal choice) as this book deals more with making the choice about which system to go with. Robert's book has a chapter on this as well but I felt it didn't go into the detail of David's book. However if you are after how to convert cars and track plans then Robert's book is the best (that's why I went with both as I wasn't certain about which to get. I will tell you however that with both books you cover all bases (yay I love when that happens
)

So were to now?

Well I have 8 cars some track and a burning desire to go digital. I took some holidays to pay for this venture in digital heaven. My wife likes me at home so I can do all the crappy things around the house I have been putting off. I like it because my holidays are at double pay so I can buy my set and some extra stuff.

My first purchases will be the following:

The digital platnum set 6 cars, 6 controllers and a 6 car powerbase and some track (nice to add to the track I have)
A cable for my powerbase togo to a computer, I am going to hopefully get mine from a guy in New Zealand who does the cables as I am in Australia and New Zealand is pretty close so it should get here quick (I just want it now
)
A right hand pit track set in and out
A couple of packs of the single lane straights
A couple of packs of the half straight start sections (not the start system but the sections of track with the grid lines on them, should of said grid instead start in the begining but if you read this far I still have your attention
)
4-6 F1 Conversion chips for my A1 cars (just have to think which 4-6 I love the most to convert first)
and last but not least SSDC (Scalextric Sport Digital Console for us newies)

So two weeks till I can have this lot nice, I hope to update as I go and add to my collection for newer racers to have an idea of the mistakes I make and not repeat them, till then see you on the track in two weeks

Brett

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Nice story Brett, and welcome in the SSD department ! BTW before you buy single lane straights, try a standard straight and cut It with a sharp knife. Works very well and is a lot cheaper !

·
Greg Gaub
15,381 Posts
Yep! Welcome to SSD. I like to use cut standard straights to lengthen a pit lane, but I prefer the single lanes to go along side the pit lane changers and at the start and end of the pit straight. 2 packs give you 8 of them, which is the perfect number to do that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Minardia and Greg thanks for the comments mate just hope it helps out some newbies so they don't make the same mistakes as I do.

Speaking of mistakes, if you want to order the cable from the APB to computer it has to come from Europe. (Thanks for the information Riko)

Also I was having a think yesterday while I mowed the lawn (I do most of my thinking mowing the lawn or on the loo
) and it got me wondering as to what I want to collect for racing. I love A1GP for sure and the GT3 cars that come with the set look tops as well. However I think the other focus will be F1 cars as well, start out with McLaren's, Lotus, Williams, Ferrairi, Red Bulls and Merc's to start with. As for a track I downloaded the plans for Albert Park for the Australian GP. I want to build moveable terrain so the track can be pulled down for each round of the GP's as I get the plans.

So a bit of thinking and planning and with Fathers Day and Birthday coming up more track is a must (after my first set of purchases)

·
Prof I T
11,197 Posts
hi
glad to see your enjoying ssd so much it is very addictive.

As for car choice you often see sets of A1 gp cars for sale on the bay but some of the prices are frightening,the new zealand car is a rarity and can command quite high prices.

Also the current F1 cars have some beautifull detailing but all the winged cars are quite fragile and need a constant supply of wings and spoilers if raced hard.

I chose to sell all mine last year and concentrate on the lmp range...

·
Registered
331 Posts
my version of Albert park:

I love F1 but I prefer to race touring/dtm type cars due to the crazy speed and wing issues of the F1's

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Hi Brett, I'm looking forward to following this thread... thank for taking the trouble to document your SSD travels!
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Bret

Welcome to the forum and the digital age, personal choice and I think you made a good one, I got a little hooked a few years ago and well many cars and a lot of fun later I'm still having a ball and the wife knows how to find the shed, it's the one with the track and fridge in it as well as me.

Once you hook up to a PC and start getting data and race info and fueling and all the other great advantages you'll be wrapped, the stuff and info you find on this forum along with the help and support the members give will blow you away there isn't anything you can't research to assist your build.

I reccomend some of the high impact cars for the kids racing (depending on their age of course) once you get a few on the track together the inevitable happens, you'll see the word "carnage" used a lot in the posts.

Check out some of the member's tracks and see what's possible.

Good luck with your jurney and keep us posted.

Marty

·
Registered
134 Posts
Agree about the cars Marty. Get a few high impact / tough cars. I got 3 Porcsches for my kids (6,4 and 2 years old) and best thing I did to learn on. 6 and 4 year old have now progressed to other cars but if I hadn't there would have been a lot of damaged cars.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been a while so time for an update, I'm back at work and 4am starts....bummer
and the cash for my stuff came through
but didn't get to set anything up until today.

So what happened? Well after my daughter's 14th birthday party, my mother in laws 60th and 1 car accident later I ended up with the following.

A digital platnium set

A cable to hook the set to the computer

I did win a mountain of track off a guy but what do you know went to Penrith to pick up the money and whammo got hit from behind in the car, and he wasn't insured
but thats life so I missed all the track bummer would of had everything I could of wanted in one hit but as you live you learn. I guess the guy that hit me would of been expelled off my track for needless bumping.

One thing I did learn from all this is even if you plan everything you want things in life will creep up on you so don't feel bad about it life happens just order out your purchases in order of importantance. For me it was getting the platnuim set and the cable.

One thing with this is it is not that hard to update the firmware on your console, I was super worried about this and when it came to it the instructions were great highly recommend them.

So after some frantic updating and getting the computer to talk to the console I was up and running. I made a tri oval to test things out and was super impressed with both RMS's I downloaded SSDC runs a treat and Pc Lap Counter is great as well once you have set yourself up, I know need to decide which one will be best for me, that maybe to next update so any advice would be great I hope to eventually start a club with this so I am sort of leaning toward PC Lap Counter but any input would be great.

Speaking of input thanks to those who offered advcie on the F1 cars I have taken this into consideration and am now looking at V8 and NASCAR's as well, also some plain Audi's to strip and repaint into the colours of my favourite German Football teams eg FC Bayern Munich etc, but never will I do a Chelsea
car.

Man I am long winded but my excitment is hard to contain
I set up the tri oval on a ping pong table and let the kids have a run. Well after 10 races a total of no fights and everyone had a great time. My wife did put a downer on it though buy saying and I quote "Is this what we spent $700 dollars on?"
my answer "yep, and worth every penny too."
of which she had no reply.

Now the next thing on the plan is to pick up a table off my mate 4.5 metres by 2 metres so anybody with a bit of time some layouts would be nice

Until I have some time I will post some pictures of my build as well as I go I think once the new camera is paid off.

Thanks for following and anybody in the Penrith NSW Australia area looking for a race give me a yell, until next time see you all on the track!

Brett

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well an update is due I think. I had a little stuff up with the Inox and it got on the track, I won't rush it next time and for all you newbies who follow my thread try as hard as you can not to get the Inox on the plastic it gets slippery (unless you want to simulate wet weather conditions on the track.) After alot of elbow juice and a damp cloth with soapy water and the track is the same as I first pulled it out of the box, and the rails have been carefully re-treated good as new.

Our race nights have been going well (we have had 2) one with RMS and another without and I can tell you it makes a difference. If you can afford it in your first purchases I rekon you cannot go wrong with an RMS to control all the little gems that digital racing holds. I now race with a couple of new guys as well who all say the same thing that they haven't raced for ages and it looks like a new club is coming together.

Which brings me to my next point which cars to chip first??? I don't know so I think I will run a poll to get the forum involved in my build.

Hoep to have some photo's soon.

Thanks for reading my quick update.

Brett

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
Hi Brett,

Welcome to the forum, it's a great place to be!

One tip I can give you - learning from my own experience - is not to buy too many sets.... They tend to have the same curves (Radius 2) and nothing else curve wise.
I found spending some money on R4, R3 R1 22.5° and R1 45° makes racing mush more realistic and fun.

Once again welcome and there is a wealth of information on here but if you don't find what you looking for there is always someone that can help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi Brett

Same thing happened to me too with inox
I thought I rubbed it very little with a cloth to the rails but when we started racing it spread to the track. Not much but enough to make things a bit too challenging

·
Greg Gaub
15,381 Posts
As Mr. Miagi would say, "INOX on, INOX off!" the removal of excess is just as important as the application.

Use an old guide blade with some stick on felt (moleskin) in place of braids to apply directly to rails. Remove excess with a paper towel prior to racing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys for the reply, I hope my dairy will save a newbie alot of elbow grease and give them extra time to race and not clean

Keeto top tip mate the extra sets I brought were OK for straights and things but the constant R2 only turns gets a little predictable after a while some R1's and 3 and 4 would spice it up. Currently I am racing on a track plan of Albert Park from the Scalextric web site that only includes R2 turns. Cannot wait to get the larger track going with different turns.

Brett

·
Registered
70 Posts
Heya Brett,
Just wanted to say thanks for this post cause A) I probably dont need to do the same thing myslef now and
will save me falling into same traps

My biggest problem so far has been sifting out the diif from old posts to the latest sets. What works with what. Like you, I (well my brother) is getting the platinum set. Im thinking some extra track and or a manager and or tough cars is next on the list. But first... wait for it to come, play with it as it is and learn what it needs

regsneers
Mark

·
Greg Gaub
15,381 Posts
Every digital thing Scalextric has ever made is still 100% compatible with every other digital thing Scalextric makes. There are no compatibility issues between SSD set items. Carrera had some issues with that kind of thing, but not Scalextric.

The only thing you might need to worry about is if you get an old ANALOG set that has Classic track in it. But being an analog set, you shouldn't expect much compatibility anyway. ;-) You could get track adapters and chip the cars, though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts