SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long time since I posted anything on this Forum relating to my own slot car builds, so I will rectify that here. I have not been as prolific as many during the Covid restrictions, but have managed a couple of cars.

This one was started for the Mac Pinches 30's proxy meeting which is currently on hold. It is a representation of Giulio Ramponi's 1934 rebuild of a 1927 Delage GP car for Dick Seaman with which he had huge success - so much in fact that he was signed up for the Mercedes Benz works team.

The model has a Scalex 18k motor, SlotIt offset gears and a scratchbuilt brass and piano wire flexiboard chassis. It has been tried once on Mark50's Trelawney Raceway(Mk1) and went well. It was better than the Merc W165 that I entered in the 2019 International Thirties Proxy and that had a small measure of success, so I am more optimistic for this one.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive design

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Toy

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Wheel

Let's hope that the event can be run this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
GP. Beautiful job on a cool looking car!
thumbsup.gif

Probably won't need wings to fly with that 18k motor.
innocent.gif

·
Registered
923 Posts
Looks terrific Keith!

I just wish we could get it on the track now....but it looks like February now at the earliest. Very frustrating for you I imagine. So you will have to keep building!

Mark

·
ParrotGod
8,201 Posts
The car looks really nice. The only thing I would change are the front tyres: they seems too big and with that pattern more like a tractor tyres (especially when compared with the pics of the real car).

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car looks really nice. The only thing I would change are the front tyres: they seems too big and with that pattern more like a tractor tyres (especially when compared with the pics of the real car).
Thanks for all the compliments!

I agree Grunz, but there is little I can do as the regulations for the event stipulate a minimum tyre width at the front. Out of the tyres that I have, these were the hardest and therefore least draggy. No treatments are allowed. I hate having to build noticeably non-scale features into a car, particularly over-wide track on a scale body (not relevant to the Delage), but my two current builds are for a competition and everyone else will build to the maximum width allowed

I always build cars primarily for performance because as Gus would say - they are racing cars - but then try to get the best appearance whilst staying practical. I don't want my cars to shed pieces like a stick insect when pranged or marshalled!

On looking at these photo's again, I see that the bonnet straps are too wide and could be improved without performance or practicality loss. It will be done!

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Gripping

I wouldn't change the Delage in any way, including the bonnet straps. In the 1970s, I recall Dudley Geoghan arriving at Oulton with his ERA (R7B). Sometime previously, Dudley had raised eyebrows by painting the car in red (white originally), but from this Oulton meeting onwards, R7B also wore a pair of front tyres not dissimilar to those on your fab Delage.

He couldn't find anything else kicking around the workshop that would fit the wheels...

Good chap.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
A very nice model.

If those are original Scalextric (Lotus16, BRM P25 etc) tyres, I have faced the same problem. Pendle sell PCS slick tyres 24x6mm, which are a modern replacement which, to my eyes, look better than the treaded original pattern.

Mike

·
ParrotGod
8,201 Posts
Duly noted that this is for a competition and that you need to look at the practical aspect of fitting within the regulations.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Los coches de los años 30's tienen un aire especial. Te ha quedado muy bien y es bonito de admirar.

Yo las correas para sujetar el capó motor las hago con steri-strip. Las pinto y las corto en tiras muy finas. Este sistema lo utilizo tambien para cinturones de seguridad, correas para las ruedas, etc.

Puedes ver algunas en mi tema del Dakar (AQUI).

Cars from the 30's have a special air. It has looked very good on you and it is beautiful to admire.

I make the straps to hold the engine hood with steri-strip. I paint them and cut them into very thin strips. I also use this system for seat belts, wheel straps, etc.

You can see some in my Dakar theme (HERE).

Salut

Frederic

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gracias Fredericc. Muy bien.

I used paper coated in superglue (CA glue), as per Aurora's tutorials.Messy but effective.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
A couple of GP Delage pics below. Robert Benoist in the first photo and Edmond Bourlier in the second. I've often been struck by the sheer quality of mechanical engineering that went into these cars, and continue to marvel at it today.

Jus' sayin'.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
A very nice slot car gripping

I don't know if you have a copy of, "A Race with Love and Death" by Richard Williams (a very good book with stupid title) but it covers in a lot of detail the purchase of the Delage and all the modifications that Ramponi carried out for Seaman. It is well worth a read.

David

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Stunning, Gripping. That's exactly what I mean. A jewel in the crown of the mechanical engineer's craft. My thanks for the photo.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Thanks David. I have not seen that book. I note that it was first published in March 2020 which might explain it.

The bulk of my info. came from Prince Chula's book on Seaman.

When I first viewed the house that I now live in, the former owner had a framed photo of a Delage racing on a modern circuit. I asked him about it and he said it was his son-in-law, who owned it. Nice.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
One of the great pre War drivers, Robert Benoist, on his way to winning the 1926 European GP at San Sebastian. After Delage withdrew from racing in 1927, Benoist switched to Bugatti, and among other accolades, won Le Mans 1937 in the Type 57.

During the War, Benoist fought with the French Resistance, but was caught and executed by the Gestapo. By any standards he was a quite extraordinary man.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts