SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Autoavia
1,004 Posts
Probably my favourite pre war Grand Prix car. Built so low that it looked like it was doing 100 MPH just standing still and that amazing engine. Small wonder that building and running the cars almost bankrupted Louis Delage.

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
Autoavia

It's a fabulous looking car, eh! Please look up pics of the ERA-Delage if you aren't familiar with it. Equally evocative. Outstanding aesthetics from every angle.

·
Autoavia
1,004 Posts
Alan's ERA-Delage is a rocketship. 25000 rpm flat 6 and the handling is pretty good as well.

Nearly 30 years ago I got a 1/24 kit by SE Finecast built up for a customer. It came back from the modelmaker on the weekend of the Classic Superprix so I put it in the display counter in my Brands Hatch shop. It got plenty of attention that weekend. The real car just looks so right and the kit is a difficult build but captures it perfectly.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Tony I wouldn't mind doing a 1/24 one with a vintage style chassis but I've not seen a 1/24 body suitable for slot conversion.anyone seen one.

·
Autoavia
1,004 Posts
Trisha I was thinking the same. If I had discovered a real 1.5L Delage engine there are plenty of people who would build me a car to fit it!

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
For anyone interested in this period of GP history, I advise further reading about Robert Benoist (mentioned above) and William Grover-Williams, who won the first Monaco GP in 1929 in a T35.

Both men were brilliant racing drivers who went on to fight the Nazis with the French Resistance. Williams was born in France, bi-lingual and fought for the British SOE (Special Operations Executive).

Both men knew each other well, but neither survived the War. Their stories remain intriguing.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Los años 20 fue una época llena de auténticas historias del mundo del motor.

Tengo un Bugatti T-59 de Pink-Kar completamente desmontado. He tenido varios proyectos en mente para transformarlo pero no me decido por cual hacer.

Uno de ellos era alguno de los Bugatti pilotados por Pierre de Vizcaya en la década de 1920: los type 13, 30, 35 o el 36, aunque casi siempre pasó por meta tras los Delage y Sunbeam.

DeVizcaya fue el primer piloto del Type 43 Grand Sport que salió de Molsheim, considerado como uno de los autos más rápidos del momento en uso civil.

The 1920s were a time full of authentic stories from the motor world.

I have a Bugatti T-59 from Pink-Kar completely disassembled. I have had several projects in mind to transform it but I can't decide which one to do.
One of them was one of the Bugatti piloted by Pierre de Vizcaya in the 1920s: the type 13, 30, 35 or 36, although it almost always passed the finish line after the Delage and Sunbeam.
DeVizcaya was the first Type 43 Grand Sport driver to leave Molsheim, considered one of the fastest cars in civilian use at the time.

Salut
Frederic

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
Frederic

The Type 43 was the roadgoing, touring version of the T35B GP car, with which it shared the same mechanical layout. It remains among the world's most coveted and desirable road cars. Its performance was, and still is, impressive, even by today's standards.

Canadian, the late Hugh Conway, ran and raced his splendid example for many years in British historic events, and despite, or because of, very regular use, it maintained a remarkable reliability record.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hola Trisha,

Mi comentario era en el sentido de que en mi lista de posibles transformaciones de ese Bugatti de Pink Kar, estaban los coches pilotados por De Vizcaya, pero también estaba el Delage al ser un coche coetáneo. Pero me olvidé de ponerlo.

Hi Trisha,
My comment was in the sense that in my list of possible transformations of that Bugatti by Pink Kar, there were the cars driven by De Vizcaya, but there was also the Delage being a contemporary car. But I forgot to put it on.

Salut
Frederic

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
A propos my earlier comment about Dudley Geoghan arriving at Oulton Park with R7B years ago, I've just found a pic that clearly shows that the front tyres are bigger than the rears. They were the only ones lying around his workshop that would fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
The 1927 French GP was held at Montlhery, where Delage probably enjoyed its finest hour/s. The straight-8s came in first, second and third with Benoist, Bourlier and Morel respectively.

Benoist's win took 4hrs 45min 41.2sec at an average speed of 77.24mph.

Below, Morel during a hurried pit stop.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 51 Posts