SlotForum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
I agree, Kevan. A few years ago, I tried to research the story of the Merc in which he was (fatally) injured at Spa. Rumour/legend had it that the wreckage of the car was buried at Pull Court in Worcestershire, the Beattie-Seaman family home.

There were one or two 'witnesses' who claimed that they saw the Merc being buried. Scans of the grounds were carried out. A gardener was interviewed about the burial. He described the car, with a degree of accuracy, but nothing was found.

For many years Pull Court has served as a prep school, and the chance of getting to the bottom of this yarn is probably nil, but it would be rather good if anyone has further information that might bring the history to a conclusion.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,873 Posts
"Look son you need to live a normal life, here's an estate now go and run it"
..."sod that...I'm off racing!"

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
A few years ago, I tried to research the story of the Merc in which he was (fatally) injured at Spa. Rumour/legend had it that the wreckage of the car was buried at Pull Court in Worcestershire, the Beattie-Seaman family home.

the chance of getting to the bottom of this yarn is probably nil, but it would be rather good if anyone has further information that might bring the history to a conclusion.
Surely Mercedes Benz's records would show what happened to the car?.

In the context of the time, it seems to me unlikely that the remains of what was regarded as state of the art German engineering would be given to the Brits.

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
Gripping

It's frustrating that there isn't yet a conclusion to this yarn. A GP Merc arriving on a lorry to be buried in Worcestershire seems unlikely to me, but 'witnesses' who claimed they saw the car were taken sufficiently seriously for scanning and digging to be carried out.

If Seaman's car was buried it would still be there, and easily found with modern technology, but...

It's another 'mystery' - along with the 'Scottish' A-Type Auto-Union.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
New threads necessary I think!

And another thing . . I read some time ago that the mystery of Alberto Ascari's final crash appears to have been solved, but it has not been very well publicised.

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
Mark

The intrigue surrounding Terry Wright's A-Type Auto-Union is touched upon starting on page 4 of the Zwickau Mountain Car thread. You might be interested to read comment, and add to it, because I know of no one who has yet got to the bottom of this bizarre yarn.

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
Another yarn in the lives of everyday old-car folk. Below, Colin Crabbe at Oulton in his W125, 1971. Colin traced the car to a location in what was East Germany during the late 1960s, and started negotiations for its purchase.

There was much to-ing and fro-ing before a deal was struck. We heard snippets on the grapevine about cloaks, daggers and dodgy characters, but for the most part, everything was pretty hush-hush.

Crabbe eventually ended up in Berlin at Checkpoint Charlie, and handed over one helluva lot of cash for the car.

'Twas an exciting time because tales of Auto-Unions were also emerging, and they also turned out to be, more or less, true as well.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts