Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are they? SCX track looks like it'll fit Scalextric Classic. The cars seem to work on both.

What does and doesn't work between the two [and any other companies]

Ta
Ian

·
Registered
317 Posts
SCX is fully compatible with scaley classic. Some companys produce converter pieces - Scaley make one that joins sport and classic/scx and ninco make a converter too - not sure what it joins to at the mo, I'll have to do some research.

SCX has a slightly more grip than the old classic stuff though.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
QUOTE (iwgunter @ 13 Oct 2004, 10:41)What are they? SCX track looks like it'll fit Scalextric Classic. The cars seem to work on both.

What does and doesn't work between the two [and any other companies]

Ta
Ian
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are two manufacturers : Hornby and Technitoys.

Hornby are using the "Scalextric" brand everywhere in the world save in Spain where they use the "Superslot" brand. That's why you simply find "Hornby" on the chassis. Older Hornby cars sold in the US used the "Superscale" brand.

Technitoys are using the "SCX" brand everywhere in the world save in Spain where they use the "Scalextric" brand.

Technitoys and Hornby track are fully compatible.

Their cars are fully compatible, as well as other makes. The only problem you can have is with Carrera on Classic / SCX track.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Goldfish... Are SCX cheaper than Scalextric as a standard?

I'm finding it hard to find an online stockist who stocks both with decent descriptions and images of the parts.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Theres not much in it, price wise. Many on-line retailers stock both makes. To make this even more difficult, there are other manufacturers out there too that are worth a look! Its best to try out different tracks and see what you prefer.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just think of Scalextric and SCX track as Scalextric/SCX track.
SCX and Scalextric Classic are fully compatible because SCX was the Spanish Scalextric in another life (Scalextric seems to have had offshoots all around the world in the early days) and commercial buggerising about has ended up with two different manufacturing companies with rights to the same intelectual property (strange but true).
So, Scalextric Sport to Classic converters will work with SCX.
Ergo: (you didn't ask but here goes anyway) to connect Ninco to Scaley Sport you will need a Ninco to Scalextric/SCX converter and a Scaley Classic to Scaley Sport converter.
Everything else that's important (ie cars) will run on all the tracks.

Happy Motoring Customers!
(any old farts from Aus remember this one?)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Track's one thing, cars are another.

SCX are cheaper than Scalextric...

But...

(there's always a but)...

SCX are slower (and generally noisier) than Scalextric.

Of course, the speed thing doesn't matter if you race like with like but that in itself can be a problem if, like me, you have a small collection of cars.

·
Registered
469 Posts
QUOTE If you remove the magnets SCX are faster than Scalextric and far more rewarding to drive.
Please tell that to my Weber Minardi! (okay, I haven't yet fixed the stupid sprung flag thingy yet)

·
Registered
979 Posts
iwgunter check out getslotted.co.uk or pendleslotracing.co.uk - both have loads of manufacturers, pics and info.

Mark

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
To me , scalex are better detailed and finished than SCX, though not by much. Consequently when both make the model I want, I get Scalextric.

The only SCX I have is the Jaguar F1; Its wheelbase is too wide for scale, and the back wing on all is wonky - have corrected it, but it was harder than i had envisaged.

I am a magnet racer, and in this format it hasn't got a chance against the scalex F1 in my collection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts