SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey ya'll
i'm new here and wouldn't have a clue where to start
i have an old tomy aurora afx slot car set with 3 chassis.. and an almost complete track
i want to get spare parts and new chassis etc but i have no idea what to get
i've seen there are different types of chassis.. what one do i have
i've seen different tracks.. do they just look different or are they actually different, does every car work on every track?

and if this track and chassis is totally rubbish lol what should i get? i'm not a hardcore slot car person just like to tutu with it occasionally

thanks in advance

edit: did i post in the wrong section?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Used to have aurora as a kid - at the time it was far superior to the 1:32 in the shops. But can't help you directly, however...

In the UK at the moment - 1:32 scale slot cars are dominant (Scalextric, Fly, SCX, Ninco, Carrera etc). If you haven't been following slot car developments over the past few years, it may be worth looking at changing to this, because it is much easier to find stuff, and the detail and quality of RTR has improved a lot!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm kool thanks... shall search the nz sites and see what's available here.. as usual we're probly still 10yrs behind lol
i managed to find another afx old slot car set for parts so i'm grabbing that.. at least i'll have a working one soon hehe

cheers for the input

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Welcome Suprra!
Personally I'm more of a hardcore tutu type, with a passing interest in slot cars.

I think it's time we had a good discussion of HO scale cars on the forum-it's a very little-known subject to me, and a lot of others in the UK I would guess. A good excuse for JP to show us some of his cool home-mades again, too.

Regards to NZ!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Welcome, Suprra! I'm an ex-HO racer myself. Although I have switched to 1/32 scale, I can offer the following info.

The Tomy track is, IMO, the best there is. It has the largest number of available curve and straight sizes, and is as well-made as any brand. Any of the standard HO cars (Aurora, Tomy, Tyco-Mattel, LifeLike, etc.) will work on it - even the very old Aurora T-jets and original AFX etc., and also the current "hot" offerings from the US, like Panther and Patriot.

The US on-line shops may be a good source for you, for cars and parts, if they are hard to find locally.

I would have to dig through some old files to get URLs for the US shops, but if you want them just let me know and I'll find some for you.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hi suprra_girl!

As well as the manufacturers listed by Fergy you might also look out for Micro Scalextric (not to be confused with the full size Scalextric). The track is not compatible due to the different connections but their cars should run fine on your AFX track.

This is a Micro Scalextric Ferrari that I painted up a little:

QUOTE A good excuse for JP to show us some of his cool home-mades again, too
Ah thanks howmet, never one to miss my cue!

Just a teaser

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Can't let JP have ALL the fun!....

A custom painted Ligier based on a somewhat modified (
) Tomy/Aurora F1 car:

You're right though, JP, I forgot about Micro-Scalextric! They have some interesting offerings but aren't too common over here. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
those are pretty phat!!! hehe... so remembering i'm a newbie.. what's a HO lol i mean there's ho.. chick ho... but i'm guessin it's not the same

kool... now all i gotta do is find me a mk3 supra body shell

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
In slot cars HO roughly means small scale - varying from 1:76 to 1:43 I think. This is as opposed to 1:32 scale cars, which are bigger.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
HO (1/87) was one of the American and Continental popular scales for model railways. Cox produced a Slotcar and railway set. I think thats why this scale was introduced for especially the American market. I have an early battery powered Aurora HO Thunderjet set the box art is superb.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
HO is 1/87 scale and, as GT said, is a popular scale for model railways. However, "HO" cars seem to have "grown" over the years and in recent times have been produced to nearer 1/64 scale

1/43 mentioned by astro is something different again and is between 1/32 and "HO". Artin and Carrera both produce 1/43 tracks (as well as tracks for other scales).

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Oh blimey- a whole new level of jargon to learn!
I think I get it about the scale, but what's phat? I've got to admit to a bit of middle age spread, but....
Help us out here Supra.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL k so i need to make sure i get the right scale too... sheesh i should just go and get a new one lol...
phat = awesome/wicked/cool

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL QUOTE Spleet!
now who's usin new jargon

hmmm Rail Racer.. where in the world are you hehe
i'll see if i can score a track here... dunno how successful i'll be but i'll try hehe... if not then i mite hit you up

·
Rich Dumas
3,539 Posts
The place to check for Tomy AFX stuff is Scale Auto http://www.scaleauto.com/ ,
they are the distributor of Tomy slot stuff and they sell from their website. In the US Tomy cars are only sold by hobby shops, the mass marketers do not carry them. All of the parts and track sections are available, except for a bare chassis. With HO cars it is best not to worry about scale too much. The best place to go for information on Tomy cars is the Planet of Speed BB, http://planetofspeed.net/BBS/index.php .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts