SlotForum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is going to be more cars anytime soon? I would like to get some GM or Ford muscle cars or some sports cars. I like the mopars they offer but I would like some variety. Are any other manufactures going to make cars for the Carrera pro X ?

·
Registered
522 Posts
The decoder chip needed to convert an analog car to pro-x is listed for sale in their catalog. You will be able to convert any car to pro-X, but it is hard to predict what other cars they will make into digital. Im guessing that each year a larger % of their lineup will be offered as digital. I'm hoping they make the rest of their classic nascars at pro-x.

·
Registered
522 Posts
QUOTE (Crazy-Chris @ 13 Nov 2004, 14:51)QUOTE (darainbow @ 12 Nov 2004, 18:15)The decoder chip needed to convert an analog car to pro-x is listed for sale in their catalog.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What catalog are you talking about ?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Moderator at SCI told me this. I believe he is also carrera dealer and was referring to the pro-x catalog. Maybe the full dealers catalog or price list.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Judging by the vast difference in design between their analogue and digital cars I fail to see how they can become compatable with just a chip, especially when so many folk stated the gargantuan guide blade was a requirement for Carrera Digital.
I wouldn't hold your breath for any makers cars made before Pro X being compatable and suggest the spare chip is for repair only.

As far as I understand it the ONLY digital system capable (so far) of backwards compatability is the Scalextric system.

·
Registered
522 Posts
QUOTE (Swissracer @ 13 Nov 2004, 22:43)Judging by the vast difference in design between their analogue and digital cars I fail to see how they can become compatable with just a chip, especially when so many folk stated the gargantuan guide blade was a requirement for Carrera Digital.
I wouldn't hold your breath for any makers cars made before Pro X being compatable and suggest the spare chip is for repair only.

As far as I understand it the ONLY digital system capable (so far) of backwards compatability is the Scalextric system.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, they sell the special guide blades too. They are only used by the lapcounter.

The procedure for converting analog cars to digital will be the same for both carrera and scalectric. Fit the chip, drill a hole for the sensor. On carrera, you also need to change the guide flag if you want to use their current lapcounter. But then changing a guide flag is standard practice in the slot kingdom. There are other workarounds as well. The floating magnet is an extra handling feature and is not required for operation.

So glad we got that out of the way!

·
Registered
610 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 13 Nov 2004, 21:02)The Moderator at SCI told me this. I believe he is also carrera dealer and was referring to the pro-x catalog. Maybe the full dealers catalog or price list.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds interesting... according to my information from Carrera, it is not planned to sell ProX electronic units separately.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
darainbow, you are always very hopeful and optomistic about the possibilities of Carrera digital, and enthusiasm is a good thing.

However, the conversion is not the same, the hole is offcentre on carrera, and until it is known how precice the position needs to be, this could be a lot more difficult than drilling a hole along the centre line. You also have to install the 4 position dip switch. For many of the scratch builders on here, neither will present a problem, but for many others, this is a lot more complicated than installing the scalextric one.

Guide flag - does it clip into a standard (analogue) carrera guide socket? I don't know, and I suspect neither do you.

It is odd that Carrera have told this one dealer about the imminent chips, but see some marketing advantage in keeping it secret from the rest of the world - or maybe you have it wrong?

I think in the long run Carrera probably will introduce some form of kit for conversion, but please check your facts before posting rumours

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I stand by my post above, but will be happy to be proved wrong. However, even without the chip no non pro x cars run on pro x track system and pro x cars do not run on analogue so how will just changing the chip help?

I am going to try a conversion tomorrow as we have some pro x cars at the track.
IF I can do it without damaging the pro x car (they belong to thomas) I will post the results here, however I would like to clarify one point made above...

QUOTE But then changing a guide flag is standard practice in the slot kingdom.

I think you will find this is ONLY common practice when changing from a standard guide to a superior one, I cut my guides down in length and can not see me making them longer for anything.

Point taken about the lap counter issue though, I remember being told that now it has been repeated.

·
Registered
522 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 13 Nov 2004, 23:00)darainbow, you are always very hopeful and optomistic about the possibilities of Carrera digital, and enthusiasm is a good thing.

However, the conversion is not the same, the hole is offcentre on carrera, and until it is known how precice the position needs to be, this could be a lot more difficult than drilling a hole along the centre line. You also have to install the 4 position dip switch. For many of the scratch builders on here, neither will present a problem, but for many others, this is a lot more complicated than installing the scalextric one.

Guide flag - does it clip into a standard (analogue) carrera guide socket? I don't know, and I suspect neither do you.

It is odd that Carrera have told this one dealer about the imminent chips, but see some marketing advantage in keeping it secret from the rest of the world - or maybe you have it wrong?

I think in the long run Carrera probably will introduce some form of kit for conversion, but please check your facts before posting rumours
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess I'll have to be the first to convert a FLY car and show how its done.

Conversion to carrera or scalectric digital will in both cases require soldering and modification to the chassis. Because scalectric is selling analog cars with digital ready chassis, I admit that converting a scalectric car to sclectric digital will be easier. I suppose their marketing guys can get away with selling a "conversion kit" because their analog cars will be digital ready, so its in the realm of possibilty for a 13yo without any building skills to do. But then he will still need to know how to solder.

But when we talk about converting cars to digital, we are talking about converting FLY, scx, ninco, revell, and other boutique cars to digital. In ALL cases, this will require modification of chassis and soldering. A "conversion kit" is not going to help here. What you really need is the digital chip, a dremel, and some determination.

If you choose to believe the admin at SCI, then the chips will be available. I have not seen the catalog to which he's referred and have not ordered the parts. But they sell spares of all their other parts so I have every reason to believe they will sell spares of chips.

I'm trying to put the marketing blitz of scalectric into perspective. The only real strength at this point of sclectric digital is that they are advertizing "conversion kits", but that is just a fancy name for selling a digital chip which carrera is also selling.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 13 Nov 2004, 22:27)Conversion to carrera or scalectric digital will in both cases require soldering
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not so - Scalextric have been using spade terminals for a while now, so you just unclip the connections from the guide contacts and insert the chip ones - plug and play. I agree you need to solder to convert a Fly car.

In a new chassis, clip the chip in place. In an old one, tape it in with electrical tape, away you go.

Space allowing, for many chassis no drilling is required, just use the screw hole which held it on its display case, most (admittedly not all) are central. On other makes you will need to solder.

With scalextric, we already know what is involved in the installation, we know the price, they are pushing the chips and advertising them, so there is a good chance you might actually see them on a shop shelf. I am positive a car CAN be converted to run on Carrera X, but that does not mean it will be easy, in cost, work, or availability of the chips.

·
Registered
522 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 13 Nov 2004, 23:37)QUOTE (darainbow @ 13 Nov 2004, 22:27)
Conversion to carrera or scalectric digital will in both cases require soldering
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am positive a car CAN be converted to run on Carrera X, but that does not mean it will be easy, in cost, work, or availability of the chips.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, the variables are cost and availabilty. However, they may work out to be cheaper than scalectric chips. Just because they havent played that marketing angle doesnt mean they will be hard to obtain or expensive.

Regarding the work involved, the procedure for converting a FLY car to Carrera or Scalectric digital will largely be the same. We agree it will take some soldering. But are you sure that the scalectric conversion kit will have terminals to solder? Maybe it will require the scalectric plugs? Perhaps it is designed only for conversion of scalectric cars and will be HARDER or IMPOSSIBLE to convert other brands? Two can play this game.

I do know I have in my possession several pro-X sets, 6 straight LCs, and a few pro-X cars and am alot closer to having first hand answers to alot of these questions. I have been focusing on my scenery but maybe I should start tinkering with the cars and get a pro-x catalog for that mysterious part#.

What I find most interesting is that the digital implementation of both systems is fundamentally differnt. On carrera, there seems to be full power to the rails at all time, when you put an analog car on it rockets at full throttle. Also, a carrera digital car will not run in reverse. I have anecdotal evidence that aftermarket high-amp supplies can be used without adverse effects. Can one be used with scalectric? Did they design for this? Will they ever release a straight LC? BTW, the carrera ones are fantastic. Smooth, full speed lane changes. Completely accurate. And they can go ANYWHERE in the layout.

Yes, im a Pro-X evangelist.

·
Registered
610 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 13 Nov 2004, 23:00)However, the conversion is not the same, the hole is offcentre on carrera, and until it is known how precice the position needs to be, this could be a lot more difficult than drilling a hole along the centre line. You also have to install the 4 position dip switch. For many of the scratch builders on here, neither will present a problem, but for many others, this is a lot more complicated than installing the scalextric one.

Well, this is not 100% true.
The dip switch and the LED are placed alltogether on the circuit. If you place the platine into the middle, the position of the LED is automatically correct.

At eBay Germany, there are also some cars (Fly, etc.) that were converted to Pro-X. This shows that this is not a big job at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts