SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,158 Posts
darainbow, you are always very hopeful and optomistic about the possibilities of Carrera digital, and enthusiasm is a good thing.

However, the conversion is not the same, the hole is offcentre on carrera, and until it is known how precice the position needs to be, this could be a lot more difficult than drilling a hole along the centre line. You also have to install the 4 position dip switch. For many of the scratch builders on here, neither will present a problem, but for many others, this is a lot more complicated than installing the scalextric one.

Guide flag - does it clip into a standard (analogue) carrera guide socket? I don't know, and I suspect neither do you.

It is odd that Carrera have told this one dealer about the imminent chips, but see some marketing advantage in keeping it secret from the rest of the world - or maybe you have it wrong?

I think in the long run Carrera probably will introduce some form of kit for conversion, but please check your facts before posting rumours

· Registered
5,158 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 13 Nov 2004, 22:27)Conversion to carrera or scalectric digital will in both cases require soldering
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not so - Scalextric have been using spade terminals for a while now, so you just unclip the connections from the guide contacts and insert the chip ones - plug and play. I agree you need to solder to convert a Fly car.

In a new chassis, clip the chip in place. In an old one, tape it in with electrical tape, away you go.

Space allowing, for many chassis no drilling is required, just use the screw hole which held it on its display case, most (admittedly not all) are central. On other makes you will need to solder.

With scalextric, we already know what is involved in the installation, we know the price, they are pushing the chips and advertising them, so there is a good chance you might actually see them on a shop shelf. I am positive a car CAN be converted to run on Carrera X, but that does not mean it will be easy, in cost, work, or availability of the chips.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.