SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
The American Heritage Dictionary defines "club" as:

"A group of people organized for a common purpose, especially a group that meets regularly"

I don't think it matters what the purpose is, or the size of the group. Small slot car clubs are the norm here, and none are the size of Phoenix.

My HO club never exceeded 32 members, and spent most of its 25 years in the 16-24 member area. With a 25 year background in a single club, I agree with Scott about how larger changes in membership (exits and entrances) can affect the atmosphere of the group as a whole. I'm not sure I agree that egos have a lot to do with it, so much as just the introduction of new personalities and viewpoints which may clash with long-established customs and practices. Over time, clubs evolve, but sudden change is often destructive. Our best years saw small but steady growth, our worst years saw large turnover and many new members - and the turnover was usually due to significant changes in club direction.

Slot car clubs, normally (I say that because I have never experienced something large like Phoenix), seem to do best with slow growth. I have seen rapid growth clubs fall apart, but slow growth clubs seldom do unless unusual circumstances occur.

Clubs generally have an identity and a philosophy, and they do best when they can maintain both. Promotion for the sake of a rapid increase in membership is likely to put these in jeopardy.

As always, JMO!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Russ, I'm in Canada, not too far from Toronto.

QUOTE Here in the US it was all commercial tracks after a while. Stiff competition, money wins, new people intimidated and/or priced out. Hobby all but dies out.

And it has never really rebounded here as it has in many places around the world. Except for a few people I have met via the net, I personally know of no one into slot cars.

It sounds like HSARC and JonnyS's Phoenix club have many similarities.

Out of curiousity, Russ, how big was your group when you first decided to pursue separate space for the club?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts