SlotForum banner
221 - 240 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Yep, now that it's built, there are a few things that I'd do differently if I were to start again which clearly isn't going to happen. There are a couple of minor adjustments I want to make in terms of track elevation. There is one curve where it is difficult to see the cars unless I stand closer to the right hand end of the track. It will become even more difficult when I get around to installing safety barriers so it has to change a bit. Not a big effort really.

·
ParrotGod
8,231 Posts
My biggest issue with routed track is exactly that: I have no patience so I am sure that I would many stupid mistakes that I will regret later.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Hello Frank, well you've come a long way...for a guys that introduced himself as one with "some woodwork skills"
Love the way the track has come so far, and as it comes more and more to completion, you can always start a new topic "Digital 2 lane wood track...car tuning suggestions";)

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 · (Edited)
Hi Tamar,
Somehow I don't think I'll be starting that new topic. I think I'll continue learning about car tuning for quite some time. I certainly don't have the detailed knowledge of the heaps of people who have been doing it for years.

Things like tyre oil, nail polish as glue and using the best tyres - I didn't even know about that a couple of days ago. I have a way to go yet.

Would you have any good ideas on how to power and change the polarity on the LC exits without having to invest in more O2 LC boards.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
One of the items currently being worked on by my electronic savvy friend.
Will post when working prototype is ready & tested.

Rgds
Tamar

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Hi Tamer,

I don't see there is an issue with installing a brass plate on the exit and switch the polarity as per the entry flipper. The potential problem there is the Ninco setup of 300ms. Is that sufficient time for the car to pass completely through the LC. If not, then when the car gets to the LC exit, the polarity will be wrong. Maybe there is a way to extend the 300ms time frame - I don't know.

I'll be very interested to see what your friend comes up with.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Progress.
Braid installation is complete.
Power taps all complete.
Anti collision works on all LCs.
Pit Bay isolation works for all bays.
LCs all work,
EXCEPT ONE OF THEM - Frustration
All the boards were built and tested as a single project so I don't know yet what is wrong with this last O2 board. I have 10 out of 11 working just as they should. It's bound to be a simple mistake on my part but a couple of hours checking it out has failed to find the problem. I'd be interested to know if anyone has had any issues with the O2 boards.

Pics.
#1. Overview. This doesn't do justice to the elevation changes.
#2 & #3. Shows a couple of cars in the pits. The Red LEDs are on to indicate occupied and the LCs to those bays are disabled. These LEDS will be incorporated in a pit building way in the future.
#4. Power Supply. I didn't want wires coming out the jacks in the front so I opened the unit and installed a pair of jacks in the rear of the unit. Just two switches / power leads underneath. One to the power supply and one to a power board that has the four 12V power supplies for the LCs etc. Makes life easy when I want to run cars.
Wood Gas Hardwood Wood stain Home appliance

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
8,231 Posts
Excellent job Frank.
So at one point I was going to ask you what cars you were running. Now I can see. Have you changed the rear tyres on this cars or are all running stock slot.it tyres?
In the latter case, no wonder that you do not have grip. Getting P6 or N22 tyres it will improve your experience especially if you glue and true them.

As for the O2 boards: at the beginning of the year I installed 20 of these in Carrera lane changers: all of them work perfectly.
So check the connections of all wires, make sure that the two power wires are in working conditions (check if power gets to the board), and finally check the wires to the solenoid are in good order.
Another thing to check is that the dip switches are not set as "No Change" position

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Thanks Grunz.

They are just the Slot.it cars I bought. I have a few more Scalextric and one Ninco that I still need to set up with B2 chips.

Yep, all the tyres are stock out of the box. I'll get around to ordering a few of the good sets soon together with the NSR oil you mentioned. I did try some WD40 on one car and it is a bit better. Right now, I have to be pretty careful as clearly, I don't have any safety barriers to stop cars going right off the edge. Still got a lot of work to do but at least it's now functional.

I've done everything you suggested on the O2 board - and more. I'll have another look tomorrow, it's bound to be something simple / stupid.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Right now, I need supplies to continue with the track build. I need some paint, a few electronic components and other odds and sods. BUT with Melbourne's Covid lockdown, I can't go more than 5Km from home and most of the shops are shut anyway and it's going to stay that way for another two to three weeks at least.

So, I started planning and building the Pit Garage. I wanted it to match up to the pits on my track and there's no way any of the commercial kits were going to do that job. It wasn't difficult to get the sizing right using pretty standard building measurements in terms of height etc and then scaling to 1/32. I've wound up with four double garages that will sit nicely alongside the pit bays.

It's basically made from scrap / leftover 3mm MDF with 5mm MDF for the internal and end walls. The whitish sheet on the saw bench is actually some ribbed curtain material. A spot of silver or aluminium paint and it should look like roller doors. The pics show a mock-up (in my workshop) and I'll glue it together tomorrow. Then to paint it (if I can get some paint), install some lighting internally and externally, install the red and green LEDs to indicate occupancy and add some advertising stickers. Hopefully it will look the part.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Looks great Frank,

I'm really enjoying this build, how'd you go with that last pesky lane changer? I can't wait to see the Pit Garages on the track.

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Thanks Mark,

I've emailed Armchair Racer about the LC problem and I'll talk to them next week. It shouldn't be a problem to get it replaced.

Don't hold your breath waiting to see the garage complete. It won't be going inside and on the track until the painting is finished. I need to get "stuff" and I can't because of lock-down.

Cheers

·
ParrotGod
8,231 Posts
I feel your pain Frank. Here in Auckland we are also back in lockdown. Although things are looking better than across the ditch (yesterday only 23 cases I think).
The pit garage building looks great.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
You've come a long way Frank, great job very impressive.

When you're done and we are released on good behaviour, yell out if you need any drivers to race against.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
Thanks Phil,
Clearly I've still got a lot to do but at least the track is operational now. Next step is some road markings and rumble strips but I need the paint. In the meantime, I'll just do what I can with what I have to hand.

And yep, one of these days when we are free again, it would be good to have some company on the track. I'm not sure that I'll be much competition against experienced racers though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey Frank,

You guys in Vic must be taking a lot more seriously than the muppets here in NSW,

I asked a team member at a local hardware were they open for run of the mill customers or tradies only and if it would be ok to come out and get some supplies.
I was told they were open, ended up going there, there were more people than I have ever seen at the place. Lockdown boredom I guess, obviously there must have been a virtual pandemic of leaking taps.

Hopefully we all get out of this soon.

Mark

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Would anyone have any suggestions where I could download the advertising signs and billboards seen around race tracks. I've been looking around the net but unsuccessful so far. As always, I prefer to make my own rather than buy them.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
If your "time period" doesn't go back more than the odd 20 years...most logo's can be found on sites like brandsoftheworld or seek logo.com.
For older billboards you could try searching online for old magazines and use their adds for your billboards.
There's also an other forum for slotracers online that is building a database with a.o. older logo's

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Hey Tamar,
I've been looking all over the net without any success.
Now I'll be right to set up what I want.
Thanks heaps.

·
ParrotGod
8,231 Posts
Usually when I look for logos I use google Image search putting the name of the brand (pirelli for instance) and the if I really want to be fancy I also specify "vector".

221 - 240 of 275 Posts