SlotForum banner
321 - 340 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Hi Grunz,
Yep, all is good here thanks. I'll get some pics later but essentially:-
All the plastering is done. Needs a little rework in a couple of places where the cars come too close.
Basic grass areas are done - need to add some shrubbery and trees etc.
Built a catch fence for one section to stop cars diving to the floor.
Waiting on deliveries from CHINA for SMD LEDs and other bits and bobs. Mail is at snails pace.
Made a test rig for car lighting - all good and works fine. I was hoping Dr_C would comment on how to use the cap as per the last few posts.

One question. How do you mount the SMDs in your cars. I've started on a Lola B12/80 and just peeled off a small circle of what looks like aluminum foil from the back of a front lens and was planning on using super glue to hold the LED in place. Is there a better way.

And I need reading glasses. I'm having some difficulty seeing what I'm doing when soldering the SMDs.

Cheers.

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
Good to know that you are doing well and making progress.
Now, for attaching the LEDs to the cars (lenses) I use GS Hypo.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
A few pics showing latest progress.
I'm trying to come up with a name for this track. Maybe something that reflects its European theme and the "grey" nature of the place. Imaginative suggestions welcome.

All terrain is flywire covered with plaster cloth and then a coat of plaster of paris with a small amount of black cement oxide mixed in. Hence all the variations in colour.
Grass is growing - need shrubs, plants and trees and a bit more signage.
A couple of pics of the fence. Made from 3mm verticals & 2mm horizontals brass rod soldered. Mesh is 2mm sq flywire held on with super glue and nylon thread. Then sprayed lightly with aluminium paint.

Still waiting on "stuff" from China to finish the armco fences and track warning lights.

Plant Mesh Urban design Brickwork Building material

Water resources Infrastructure Road surface Transport hub Asphalt

Still not sure what to do with this small area. Too small for a heliport. Need some ideas instead of just more grass and rocks.

Architecture Urban design Line Red Building material

A couple more.

Car Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Vehicle

Transport hub Infrastructure Road surface Asphalt Urban design

Transport hub Road surface Asphalt Urban design Road

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
Dolomiten Ring? I am not really good at names.

I like that fences, they look very realistic.
For what to put in that corner, I think I would go for tyre barriers and signs on top of the barriers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
Considering that corner is at the end of the straight, maybe a simulated sand trap and then the tyres and signs. This is an old pic but I've scribbled in the sand trap.
Wood Composite material Urban design Asphalt Building material

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
Some bits I've been waiting for (months) finally arrived from China so I've been able to do a couple of things. I've had my first shot at making Armco fencing (see post #276) and although not perfect, I'm reasonably happy with the way it's turned out and sits on the track. And it is to 1/32 scale. The bonus is that it serves it's intended purpose. I still need to make another 3 or 4 sections for other areas where a de-slot or spin out is problematic.

Posts are made from 3mm brass "C" section with a 2mm solid rod soldered to one side that is glued in a hole at the side of the track. The plastic Armco sections are attached to the posts with 1M x 3mm self tapping screws with a drop of super glue for insurance. That was quite an effort with two arthritic thumbs and not the greatest eyesight for small stuff. Anyway, a pic showing construction and a couple of the installed fence.

Wood Font Gas Electrical wiring Flooring

Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Slope Land lot

Transport hub Infrastructure Road surface Asphalt Race track

So as we come to the end of the year, I'd like to take a moment to say a huge THANK YOU to all those who have provided so much support, guidance, assistance and advice since I started this project back in Feb. You guys know who you are. Without all your help in track design, RMS selection, electronics, car setup etc, I might have had a track of sorts but it would be no where near as good as this has turned out.

Merry Christmas to everyone and here's hoping for a Covid free 2022 so we can all enjoy this hobby a bit more freely.

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
Merry Christmas to you as well Frank. You have created something that is quite inspirational.
The armco look really good.

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
Hey Frank, long time not seeing you on these pages. Hope all is good on your side and that you have lots of progress photos to show us.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
Hi Grunz, thanks for checking up on me. Yep, all is good here. It's just that with a nice summer, I've been busy with a lot of outside projects and really haven't spent much time at all on the track apart from the odd sojourn down there to do a few laps. I'll be getting back into it soon as the weather is starting to cool down and the days get shorter.

There is one issue I need to sort out. I had all my LCs working just fine except one that just didn't work at all. I bought a replacement board and installed that and it worked ONCE and then stopped. The electronics for that include the pit isolation and anti collision components and are identical to all the other boards so I don't know what's happening. I need to find the little gremlin before I buy another LC board and cook that as well.

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
Good to hear from you Frank.
I am going to be in Melbourne at the end of the month.
I am still not sure about dates and my schedule...I might drop you a PM when things get more definitive.

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
Sorry Frank, yes, it was a touch and go that is why I did not get in touch.
I might have other trips in Melbourne later this year when the travelling stabilizes.
I will make sure to have extra time to visit you (if you are available).

321 - 340 of 342 Posts