SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At this stage of the game, there are a lot of unanswered questions, with Scalex Digital, about to become available. One thought sprang into my mind.... if I build a monster circuit, ie 50 plus meters (being over a scale mile), on a standard circuit power taps would be essential.

Can power taps be used with Digital? Im assuming they can be and Im planning my track accordingly. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge to the contrary?

Cheers
Cools

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
There is no reason that powertaps would not work with digital. Might be an idea to keep each lane seperate as an analogue track and leave it to the powerbase to link the 2 lanes electrically - in case you swap the digital base temporarily for an analogue one at some point and forget about how you wired it!

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
(not that I'll provide a conclusive reply....)

In addition to being able to provide full current for 6 cars on any part of the track, the issue should be track impedance (i.e. side-by-side rails having a capacitance and an inductance) attenuating the high frequency signal

1 ) bumblebee approach : I recall Adrian Norman saying that SSD tracks could be quite long, provided electric contact was good - I assume he was referring to Scalex's continuity notoriously not being impeccable, so booster cables/jumpers should work nicely if you can define "quite long" in Scalexspeak
Also, Davic works on 70 m long 6-lane tracks (so much for impedance..)

2 ) not reinventing the wheel : look up what rail modelers are doing - but in fact their practice is to use "booster stations" (effectively duplicate base units) when circuit length becomes excessive - I forgot how long

3 ) scientific approach : measure track impedance and determine passing bandwidth (like a tuned antenna) - don't laugh, this is what a certain guy told me he'll be doing, while showing me his 80 A base unit [no, it's not a typing mistake, eight-zero - but I'm not at liberty to say more
]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,

Yes, you can use powertaps but you must be carefull when connecting.

-Power (which is same as digital signal) must be wired from scalextric digital transmitter (which is also suplying power into track). Then if you want to make sure that there is no bad connetions you may wire same signal to the other track pieces as well. Make sure that polarity is correct.

Result is just parallel wires and ofcourse you can use those with digital tracks too.

Best Regards:

Sami

·
Registered
197 Posts
IMHO we should look at the digital trains, they have more experience on this issue: they use signal amplifiers to communicate all the circuit. Perhaps we should need such kind of amplifiers.

Davic users, did you find this problem?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't think that we will need amplifiers with scalextric system. Model train hobbiers uses amplifiers to drive loads which are varying a lot. (they may have dozens of power consumers on track).

In scalextric or any other commercial system there is not such issues. Actually they have limited loads. The issue might be bad connections between track pieces and amplifiers does not help then.

wiring trackpieces together will help as it has helped allways...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.