SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With digital MCPL systems, each car must have a digital 'address' or ID so that a controllers instructions can be directed to it , lap counters can work etc etc.

I believe in some systems (though I forget which), you place the car on the track and the controller GIVES the car an ID, to be used for that race, or perhaps until it is given a new ID. (it would remember this number even if it lost power due to a crash and off in the same way scalextrics challenger can remember a layout in a similar situation).

I could be wrong about the above scenario.

There is much talk on here that with the Scalextric system (SSD), the ID is hard wired into each chip. Therefore, you can't race 2 cars with the same ID, you would have to change the chips around.

So the 2 questions are

1 - is the above situation (hardwired IDs) true?

2 - how many different IDs will there be? 6 - or 6000? If you have 100 cars, will you be able to specify which ID you buy for each car, so all your F1s have distinct numbers, and all your Nascars have unique ones, or will we have to guess what the ID is? And swap chips around, even if we had loads of money?

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Not my area at all - but with the latest generation Davic and SCX you have ID assignment (same as the programming track for DCC railroads)

The original analog Davic had fixed ID chips, so I believe this is the real issue : is SSD DCC ?

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Hi!

This is the first time I hear that Scalex chips would have fixed IDs. I'd guess that it is not true. Unique hard-wired address would increase number of address bits and take more time to send to the car. Naturally it's possible to encode the longer unique address to shorter address to be sent to the car.

1. My guess is: not true. Adds complexity and digital lag. But we have to just wait and see......

2. If Scalex is planning on selling millions you should have 3bytes assigned for address.
binary number 111111111111111111111111 is 16777215 in decimal value, that is 16777215 different addresses.
Propably 2 bytes for address could be adequate, that would yield 65535 different addresses, very unlikely that you would ever have two same addresses at same track.

Julius

·
Registered
197 Posts
IMHO,

Most probably ID's will be "soft" coded (SCX style) instead of "hard" (Carrera style).

Hard codification means move switches behind the car, easy to see but hard to access id car is not "digital ready".

Soft codification means programming with some kind of computer (say main controller), impossible to see wothout it, but re-programmable without decoder access.

Since PICs (probably the computer used) are cheap even with non-volatile RAM, ADC, PWM and more (maybe 4€ in a pack) it's quite easy nowadays to use "soft" system to re-program decoders.

How will they program decodes -cars- ? I don't know, it can be done in may ways: in a small, dedicated track; into the circuit, alone; over the lap detector...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To me a 'soft' programmable ID makes much more sense, so I hope the hard-wired ID was a rumour started by people who don't know what they were talking about. Be nice if we could get the facts on this one though.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Surely it is easier to design and produce a chip and control console that permits the control console to asign an ID to the chip than to produce a chip that already has an ID assigned with the complcations this has for the console design.

All chips are then identical.

Can you imagine the difficulties for retailers and the returns that retailers will get if every chip has an ID already asigned and locked in? It could make chip sales complicated when surely all a retailer wants you do do is pick a chip pack off the shelf and pay for it no questions asked.

Can you image Toys R Us and Argos stocking digital chips if it was more complex than that?

Moped

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE ...as I suspect the chips in the Porsche Boxster set have all have the same codes.- moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have now changed my mind as it would not make commercial sense to do this.

Looking at the buttons on the control unit it would appear that there is a function for setting the ID of the chip.

For somebody starting from scratch and wanting to race 4 cars immediately this makes the purchase of 2 Scalextric Digital sets with 4 cars, 4 controllers, 4 lane switchers, twice as much track, etc, an attractive proposition although the add on power booster unit would need to be purchased also and you would be left with a redundant control unit (Ebayable?) and you would have 2 pairs of identical cars although this should not present too much of a problem.

For somebody who already had enough track then a purchase of a second digital set does not present such an attractive proposition.

There is little news yet of the Scalextric Digital Pro arrangements and no doubt info is being held back until the London Toy fair in 2005.

Moped

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
It`s a very good question. Instead of endless theories why doesn`t someone phone or e mail Adrian and put the question to him instead of endless theories, lets have an answer from someone who knows the facts please. Great q tho Dave.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts