SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With digital MCPL systems, each car must have a digital 'address' or ID so that a controllers instructions can be directed to it , lap counters can work etc etc.

I believe in some systems (though I forget which), you place the car on the track and the controller GIVES the car an ID, to be used for that race, or perhaps until it is given a new ID. (it would remember this number even if it lost power due to a crash and off in the same way scalextrics challenger can remember a layout in a similar situation).

I could be wrong about the above scenario.

There is much talk on here that with the Scalextric system (SSD), the ID is hard wired into each chip. Therefore, you can't race 2 cars with the same ID, you would have to change the chips around.

So the 2 questions are

1 - is the above situation (hardwired IDs) true?

2 - how many different IDs will there be? 6 - or 6000? If you have 100 cars, will you be able to specify which ID you buy for each car, so all your F1s have distinct numbers, and all your Nascars have unique ones, or will we have to guess what the ID is? And swap chips around, even if we had loads of money?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To me a 'soft' programmable ID makes much more sense, so I hope the hard-wired ID was a rumour started by people who don't know what they were talking about. Be nice if we could get the facts on this one though.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE ...as I suspect the chips in the Porsche Boxster set have all have the same codes.- moped

1 - 3 of 3 Posts