SlotForum banner

Digital chip info request

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  McCrash 
#1 ·
I am new to slot car racing and I don't even know if this is the correct place to post this topic, so please bear with me.

I 've recently bought some Scalextric analogue models on eBay and would like to convert them to digital. I 've read some of the relevant topics on this forum and found some very useful information. However, and this may sound daft, I am not quite sure which chip (i.e. saloon (C7006) or single seater (C7005)) to use. So, I would appreciate any help from the more experienced forum members.

Here are photos of all the cars in question (apologies for the images' large size and the fact that some models appear more than once).

Car 1 - Ford Focus

Car 2 - Ford Focus

Car 3 - Ford Focus

Car 4 - Subaru Impreza

Car 5 - Jaguar

Car 6 - Jaguar

Car 7 - Porche

Car 8 - Porche

Car 9 - Mercedes

Car 10 - ???

See less See more
#2 ·
hi
i have chipped the focus and scooby in the past and have used the f1 chip in both.These 4wd cars can be chipped with either version though.

The advantage to the saloon chip is that they are easier to power the lights peremanent on and the F1 chip has an advantage in that the pick up wires are longer.

I sited the chips in my cars in the rear and kept all the interiors in place,the rear location is a must as the motor is up front in the 4wd cars,although the skoda fabia has a sidewinder rear sited motor..

#3 ·
There is a nice easy trick for beginners when deciding what chips to buy for scalextric cars....

If it has a "triangular" push in type guide blade then the chassis was designed before chips were invented.... (in general a few exceptions do exist)... Recommend the F1 solder in chip as its smaller and as ade said the LED is on longer wires and easier to fit in the "hole" you have to drill in the chassis.

If it has a sport Round guide blade and braid disc then the chassis has been designed to take a chip... Most cars take saloon chips... All newer cars have their service sheets on the scalextric website so you can see whats inside bofore taking the car apart... link if you are browsing their website anyway its in the customer care section... Then click service sheets. If the sheet shows two little "uprights" beside the hole then its a "Saloon chip".

Some cars are designed to take F1 Chips like the "f1's"
or the Maserati MC12...

But some cars like the lotus 49 or caterham R500 are not designed to take a chip But a DPR f1 soldered into the loom will normally fit anything like these.... Except some cars are a real pain like the morris mini... they need the "cabin" adapting... Scalextric website will warn that "Chipping is not recommended" on the car description if it has not been designed with a chip in mind.

Armed with that info life should be a doddle to select a chip for anything....until you buy "the car that breaks the rule" ... and we all have!

#4 ·
QUOTE (hankscorpio @ 20 May 2011, 12:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But some cars like the lotus 49 or caterham R500 are not designed to take a chip But a DPR f1 soldered into the loom will normally fit anything like these....
No doubt someone has done it, but the idea of fitting anything extra in the caterhams seems destined to end in tears, headache and extreme amounts of swearing.

Embs

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you go to the huge chipping database then you can see that Scalextricracer has chipped a Caterham

#7 ·
For the Caterham ....... see Andy Wallace's neat chipping with the F1 chip.

#8 ·
May I ask you what the reason was for buying these cars ? Don't get me wrong, they are nice models but If you are new to slot racing, not the easiest models to chip or to drive. I have the subaru and is a nice performer, but fitting a chip requires some work and It drives liek a rally car, very tail happy with a weak magnet (but fun).
But for a beginner, DPR (digital plug ready) cars are easier to start with. Chipping is a piece of cake and they go very well.

Have fun, and welcome to the forum !

#10 ·
QUOTE (Minardi @ 20 May 2011, 13:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have fun, and welcome to the forum !

Many thanks for the welcome.

QUOTE (Minardi @ 20 May 2011, 13:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>May I ask you what the reason was for buying these cars ? Don't get me wrong, they are nice models but If you are new to slot racing, not the easiest models to chip or to drive. I have the subaru and is a nice performer, but fitting a chip requires some work and It drives liek a rally car, very tail happy with a weak magnet (but fun).
But for a beginner, DPR (digital plug ready) cars are easier to start with. Chipping is a piece of cake and they go very well.
This shows that I am indeed a beginner in slot racing. It never occurred to me how easy (or difficult) it would be to chip or race these models. This may again sound daft, but I chose them as I wanted some WRC and some Le Mans models to experiment with and their prices on eBay were reasonable.

I know that DPR cars are very easy to convert but didn't find the type of models I was looking for.

#11 ·
I am not sure If there are any new scalextric WRC cars with DPR, but there sure are a lot of Le Mans type DPR's. The Audi R10, Peugeot 908, Porsche Spyder etc. but also the Audi R8, Ferrari 430. Scalextric rally cars are not known for going well out o fteh box (without magnet), the good news is, the Subaru is one of the better handling scalextric WRC cars.

I understand that the cars you choose are reasonably priced, they are older cars, especially the Le Mans types. To be honest, I doubt If I would invest in chips for these cars, try one first and see how It goes.

#13 ·
Yes, with the new 6 car base, you should definitely have fun with a new car in analog mode before chipping it. You may decide that several cars are "lone runners" which makes chipping them silly, if they'll never be ran against other cars. If you decide you have a set of fairly matched cars that you want to be able to race with other people or as pace cars, THEN chip them.

#14 ·
QUOTE (Ember @ 20 May 2011, 02:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No doubt someone has done it, but the idea of fitting anything extra in the caterhams seems destined to end in tears, headache and extreme amounts of swearing.

Embs

OMG the pain I went through chipping my Caterham R500 a few days ago, tears were shed! But it is just about possible. F1 chip stuck under the bonnet and a lot of patience

#15 ·
i slipped up with my 1st caterham, couldn't see how to get the chip in, so i borrowed the passenger seat as space. a week after i chipped it the magic photo came up on the thread, showing how to squeeze the chip in under the engine cover.
went out and bought another and did it properly! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.