SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Now have 8 LCs and have tried in a number of different configurations.

When you design a "fastest line" path through the track, it makes it very difficult for other cars to pass and (important here) -----> a failed attempt to pass ends up being a BAD penalty because the car is left travelling on the slower section. Not only does he not pass the faster car, but he will fall farther behind, how far depending upon when he encounters the next beneficial LC.

A better way to set up a digital course is so that it is "democratic" (for lack of a better word). You need to set the LCs so that if a car travels a fast section (inside) he is then forced to take the slower path of the next section. With 8 LCs on 82' of track, it turns out that there are multiple good paths through the course, and it is not clear exactly which paths are best, in fact some drivers may favor certain paths over others, but there are multiple viable paths.

Also, it is important to have frequent LCs so that you dont get locked behind slower traffic. I believe that extra LCs can be added all over the track as long as they are "sacrificial" (i.e. setting up a passing opportunity by sacrificing a faster line.) Since the course is set up such that slow sections are ***usually*** followed by fast sections, sacrificing the faster line is followed by making up time in the next section. Other times, the LCs are just plain sacrificial.

As soon as you add just ONE beneficial LCs (one that creates a fastest racing line), that act spreads like a contagion throughout the layout, influencing the paths taken in surrounding sections. Add these beneficial LCs with caution.

Furthermore, I believe that a good digital layout is one that has alot of alternation between left and right turns. If a layout is a variation of an oval, the fastest car will just stay on the "inside" and be impossible to pass. I think variations on a figure 8 will be easier to accomplish equal segments. (Ironically, the carrera banked turns are faster on the outside when followed by a long straight, so the distinction is not always inside/outside, left/right)

I'm not sure how this discussion would apply to scalextric and im sure it does not apply to SCX (fastest racing line is unavoidable on that system)

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
hi darainbow,

the alone solution do drive on the "fastest line" is my system because it include an automatic anticollision system to dislockate and overtack like the 1:1 racing cars.

I'm working to show it in the nuremberg toy fair.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will never work with experienced drivers.

While it may look more "realistic" what is not understood is that some lanes (typically outside) of a curve is significantly slower and its impossible to pass on a slower line.

Fastest racing line will only work for beginners and I promise will generate frustration with digital systems. Most LCs should either be sacrificial or be used to divide "equal" sections.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
darain,

I not agree.

The little secret you have not seen on my system is that the second car don't dislocate on all LCs but just on LC where it's possible to try to pass on the next curve. At this time, it's not the slower lane but the shorter lane that the second car is automaticaly switched.

see it better on videoclip

regards

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
In real life - you win if you can hold the fastest line.
If you misses a turn/corner, then you get out in the dirt and will go slower.
Why not make it this way with slotcars?
If you are in front, you should be allowed to keep the others behind you until you make a mistake (by missing a LC).

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bslt
Thats a nice piece of work, but in your demo, the leading car is sometimes taking the slower line, so the following car ends up taking the faster line. When an experienced driver finds the faster line, he will be able to stay on it. And other cars will not be able to pass. Unless your system prohibits the faster car from driving where he wants -- which would be a nightmare.

Layout design and LC positioning takes alot of flexibilty and experimentation. When you have finally raced on that system you will understand. I was excited about "fastest racing line" but now realize it will not work.

Good luck. Prove me wrong.

·
Registered
522 Posts
QUOTE (Slotrace.dk @ 27 Dec 2004, 18:22)In real life - you win if you can hold the fastest line.
If you are in front, you should be allowed to keep the others behind you until you make a mistake (by missing a LC).
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

slotrace-
The practical problem with this is that for the following car to be able to capitalize on an opponents "mistake" he must already be in the other lane, which WILL be slower if the course is designed with "fastest racing line".

So the trailing car can attempt a pass, take LCs on the "outside" and end up falling farther behind.

Or, he can take the fastest racing line and wait for the faster car to deslot. Of course in this scenario, the leading car has no incentive to push it so chances are slim that he will deslot. It just doesnt work. I wish it did.

The hope that a leading car will miss taking a LC is a fantasy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like the blst sysyem because in real racing the car passing usually goes for the inside line, forcing the lead car to the outside. It appears to me this is what the blst system does.

No electronics required in the car and any car can race on the track, correct?

How cool is that!!!

I love it. When will you bring this system to market in Canada...please, please.

QUOTE (darainbow @ 27 Dec 2004, 19:38)QUOTE (Slotrace.dk @ 27 Dec 2004, 18:22)In real life - you win if you can hold the fastest line.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

slotrace-
The practical problem with this is that for the following car to be able to capitalize on an opponents "mistake" he must already be in the other lane, which WILL be slower if the course is designed with "fastest racing line".

So the trailing car can attempt a pass, take LCs on the "outside" and end up falling farther behind.

Or, he can take the fastest racing line and wait for the faster car to deslot. Of course in this scenario, the leading car has no incentive to push it so chances are slim that he will deslot. It just doesnt work. I wish it did.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
BLST !

QUOTE I'm working to show it in the nuremberg toy fair.

Great to hear that you are making good progress, I havent forgotten finding your elegant solution on the net and do hope youfind the support ncessary to bring this to market.

If I'd been working for Ninco I would have arranged a kidnapping.

Good Luck David

·
Registered
511 Posts
QUOTE (Slotrace.dk @ 27 Dec 2004, 18:22)In real life - you win if you can hold the fastest line.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. With enough LC's and varied turns (i.e not just a dumb NASCAR oval - couldn't resist) there can be more than one line, plus mistakes will be made under pressure - just like real racing. Having an in-to-out before a turn does not provide a 'passing opportunity' because the leader in the inside lane will get round the turn quicker than you, in fact they will have even more of an advantage than if you were already in the outside lane since taking the LC increases the distance you have to travel and slows you down.

Anyway time will tell the best designs, not manifestos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the scalextric sport digital system a couple of weeks ago and I have been playing around with different setups ( 6 LC's). The conclusion I've come to is that; lane changing slot cars have all the same passing problems that 1:1 cars have. Namely:
1) If your car is not faster, you will not get by (unless the other driver makes a mistake).
2) If you cannot outbreak the other driver, you will not get by.

With that in mind, I am going to build my permanent track so that the LC's always provide for the fastest line and see how that works out with 4 cars (6 if I ever manage to get my hands on a couple of digital adapter boards).

Van

·
Registered
715 Posts
If I am not mistaken the BLST system uses either DAVIC or a sort of DAVIC-Lite which actually does require a decoder within the car...like the other systems.

-Maltese

·
René &#39;Vialli&#39; Christensen
4,861 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 27 Dec 2004, 18:38)QUOTE (Slotrace.dk @ 27 Dec 2004, 18:22)In real life - you win if you can hold the fastest line.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

slotrace-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the leading car is pressed by a trailing car and misses the LC, then the triling car can get the fastest line and perhaps get in front.
You shouldn't be punished because you're the quickest on the track but only if you're making a mistake - just like in real racing.
If you want to punish the fastest driver on the track, give him -10 laps!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
hi,

QUOTE If I am not mistaken the BLST system uses either DAVIC or a sort of DAVIC-Lite which actually does require a decoder within the car...like the other systems.

-Maltese

You're right Maltese, Davic, SSD, Jouef CircuitZ chip is requered.

otherwise, BLST is designed for Formula1 layout style, not for nascar.

·
Registered
62 Posts
QUOTE (blst @ 28 Dec 2004, 01:17)darain,

I not agree.

The little secret you have not seen on my system is that the second car don't dislocate on all LCs but just on LC where it's possible to try to pass on the next curve. At this time, it's not the slower lane but the shorter lane that the second car is automaticaly switched.

see it better on videoclip

regards
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What brand is that track in your video. Both corner and straight cross overs would be good on the scalextric track. Love that S line you can take corner to corner "reality".

I am new to the slot racing and have a few questions.

(1) How does your system swap lanes, I do not see any flap (SCX is the same). Scalextric seem to be the only ones with a flap system.

(2) Due to the extra wide slot gap at the end of the scaley LC often the cars dislodge. I am not 100% happy with this system. The one in your video looks so much nicer.

(3) Where do you boys get the money for 8 LC's and huge track layouts?

ISHY

1 - 17 of 17 Posts