SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dream. It's to have a four lane digital circuit of double garage size with the chance to run virtually unlimited numbers of cars with my digital doohickeys (all for $9.99 with a free pizza of course).

Now what I'd like to know is the following. While staying technologically feasible what would you guys like to see digital doing? Fuel loads, wet weather simulation, working pit stops, car failures & punctures?

For the sake of this thread please try to avoid talk of implementation 'cause that seems to get a bit vexed - if you feel you need to let us know that X system will let you run 1024 cars do so but in reality how many of you have that many mates? I sure don't.

If we're talking that many channels with fun things to do go for it. For example I have a two year old that loves emergency vehicles. Being able to bang about with lights & sirens would probably be the B all and end all for him.

Oh - and people that aren't interested please bypass the site 'cause answers like "ain't interested" are not only unproductive they're kinda rude & I don't like it so there. (slipped from Mum to Grandmum to Daughter in one sentence - please don't try this withour proper training..
)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am game..

Here is a possible scenario.

Scenario 1

The most basic form of a usable digital track would be a single lane track of any length, that had 2 or more cars running simultaneously. (I have chosen a single lane for the first example - to eliminate a need for some mechanism to change lanes..
)

The basics of DCC allows the communicating with x number of receivers. In this case cars, whose motors receive their motor power instructions from the controller each driver holds.

The driver could easily turn on or off the lights, sound the horn, open or close the power top, raise or lower spoilers or eject passengers ala James Bond..

This single lane track could easily host races as each car starts 2 seconds after the previous cars and fastest laps and total lasp run in a certain time could be recorded.

Or as we see on certain Best Motoring videos, simply measure whether the gap between cars has widened or narraowed to determine the winner. (Initial D style
)

Each decoder could be programmed with a custom speed table - so that each car could be represenative of its real life counter part.

The Lotus Super 7 would be much lighter than the Z06 Corvette - but the Z06 would have a higher top speed by a fcator, so that the Super 7 might handle the hairpin-riddled hill climb with easy but the Z06 will run him down on the 1/4 mile straight..

Scenario 2
The track now has double and even tripple lanes in some areas - and now instead pf just catching up the Super 7, the Z06 can pass him with ease, because coming out of the mountians, there was a fork in the road, that sent alternating cars down alternating routes...

But, the Z06 lead is soon given up when the track again narrows to a single lane and a series of treachurous bends has the Z06 over-steer sliding like a mofo, while the Super 7 just reels him in...

Unfortunately for both chumps there is a Ferrai Enzo behind the Super 7 - and as they leave valley the road opens into a 3 way fork - and each car is sent to it's own lane... and the Enzo puts some serious daylight between itself and the other 2 - and even though the Fly Z06 has been upgraded with a 36,000rpm super motor.. it's speed table keeps the speed to a prototypical 173mph as the Enzo peaks at 220 before the 3 abreast hair pin that sepeartes the men from the boys...

However, on the 3rd lap the Enzo begins to falter as its rather fragile hypertuned motor begins to miss... The driver is made aware of the problem as the PC monitor posts up "Car 11 - serious engine problem - prognosis engine shutdown if not worked on".

So he limps back to the pits and has the problem "fixed" (a simple stop and go would be all that was needed).

By the time he leaves the pit lane it is raining on the hillclimb and that section of track has had a speed limit imposed to prevent a repeat of last years tragedy.

This allows the 4wd WRX STi to really make up ground as it can easliy maintain 60mph around consecutive bends while the high horsepower RWD cars find even 60mph enough to induce oversteer and as a result all the ground they made up is lost.

==

I figured stated in the above manner these "digital dreams" may be less intimidating to the digi-phobes...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Nice ideas RC

like all of that (though I would definately go for the multilane version!!!)

My circuit would vary in number of lanes, opening out to 4 lanes in places, mostly 2 lanes, perhaps closing down to 1 lane in areas.

Lots of LCs - to allow drivers to manually choose the best line for curves (here we are talking about my main track in the ballroom, I have bought one of BLST's systems for the double garage!!!)

Working pit lane of course with fuel strategy - when cars are full of fuel, their acceleration braking and top speed are affected, when running out (dependent on fuel consumption of that model, and how far and in what manner it has been driven, so if you drive smoothly you have a fuel advantage) you will need to pit stop. Similarly tyre and brake wear and optional pit stops for these could be implimented (carry on with bad tyres or take a pit penalty for improved performance?)

I think an enforced pit lane speed limit would work for me - since I think judging scale 60mph would be an inneccesary and un-fun challenge.

I would like the option of yellow flag/safety car scenarios - for when someone crashes and there are no marshalls - all the other cars slow down, perhaps cannot overtake, while the crashed guy drops his controller and runs to put his car back.

Quite like RC45's idea of random generated dangers - blown engines etc and limited speed to limp home - but i would also like to be able to turn the feature off if I found it as annoying as it is in real racing!

I would like the system to have an optional collision prevention system, and when the collision prevention was turned off, for it to know who's fault the collission was and give them a pit lane drive through penalty.

Obviously it will have the ability to remotely pilot an unlimited number of pace cars, based on its calculations and learning of the track (if a car crashes at that corner, it will drive it slower next time!), and based on performances that you have recorded. That way you can race against 6 cars even on your own. (but you have to do a lot of marshalling if you keep nerfing the computer cars!!!)

thats it for now

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
I'd like the normal scenario of weather, pitstop fuelling etc, in a 2/4 lane environment with up to 12 people racing.

However I also fancy the 1 lane scenario so we could create a proper rally event setting off at timed intervals and if you catch the guy in front you need him to pull over in a lay by type area. If you crash then the system hampers your performance: if you just over cook a corner and slide but don't deslot then only minimal damage but if you desot (depending on speed at exit) you incur more damage that limits your speed. Simulated weather conditions that alter in the stage with the computer giving people the %age chance of rain etc so they can alter their set-up.

Excellent - I can see RC45 set up being nearly there with this as no need to lap count just need to time and route the right track.

Matt

·
DT
5,195 Posts
I think that you all are going to be very impressed with the Scalextric SportWorld software. From what I gathered from the developers, these are exactly the type of scenarios that will be available.

Mix it with Digital and lane changing and the possibilities are endless.

Look again at the preview of SportWorld in the Resources section.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I like the rally ideas! And the 'deslot and you incur damage' is fantastic (maybe damage depending on how fast you were going befor the crash x a random factor) - although in non-rally races I would hope a pit stop would fix/reset the damage

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
QUOTE Oh - and people that aren't interested please bypass the site 'cause answers like "ain't interested" are not only unproductive they're kinda rude & I don't like it so there.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought it a forum for public debate and discussion of things slot-like. My mistake.

Here's my thought, you didn't ask for it, but what the hell. I'll keep it polite so as not to cause offence.

Weather, punctures, damage, I've heard of these features before somewhere.

Oh, yeah. They're available on things called game consoles. They're cheap. They have a tiny footprint and some can play DVDs too.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Exactly Wankel! These are fun things which can be added to the hobby with digital!

I guess digital ought to have a special 'Luddite analogue simulation' mode too where you can only run 2 cars, just use the inherent acceleration braking and top speed of the gearing & motor in the plastic car, and prevent lane changing. Then when some of your mates come round, they won't get too upset.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Uuuummmm...

All very nice and good at attracting new buyers and upping the perceived value (read retail price) but in the end I think we'll find racing two or more Ninco McLaren NC1s around with consistent power/brakes etc will be the most fun. After all, look at how relatively popular F1 and NASCAR are.

Then again I could just be a Luddite. By the way, do they go up or down, I can never remember.

·
Registered
85 Posts
QUOTE (Ecurie Ecosse @ 21 Jul 2004, 14:44)Uuuummmm...

All very nice and good at attracting new buyers and upping the perceived value (read retail price) but in the end I think we'll find racing two or more Ninco McLaren NC1s around with consistent power/brakes etc will be the most fun. After all, look at how relatively popular F1 and NASCAR are.

Then again I could just be a Luddite. By the way, do they go up or down, I can never remember.
New buyers?

I think not - these features will be for those of us who are more interested in operating CARS than operating TRACK...

·
Registered
85 Posts
QUOTE (Wankel Ickx @ 21 Jul 2004, 13:25)QUOTE Oh - and people that aren't interested please bypass the site 'cause answers like "ain't interested" are not only unproductive they're kinda rude & I don't like it so there.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought it a forum for public debate and discussion of things slot-like. My mistake.

Here's my thought, you didn't ask for it, but what the hell. I'll keep it polite so as not to cause offence.

Weather, punctures, damage, I've heard of these features before somewhere.

Oh, yeah. They're available on things called game consoles. They're cheap. They have a tiny footprint and some can play DVDs too.

Correct - these features are already available on the racing games I have on XBox, PS2 and PC - but I am unable to use with my own modelled cars.

I guess I could co and hack the XBox and try use a paint program to cusomize one of the cars on the game disc, and then "drive" that... but that requires even more intimate support of and knowledge about things digital....

·
Registered
715 Posts
All great features. It would be great to have a base system that JUST does MCPL. But it would be extensible where the manfacturer or even third parties can add on features which appeal to different racers, kind of like putting a game CD in an XBOX...That way you don't pay for or muck with any more than what completely turns you on...and it lets the hobbyist type add all MANNER of gadgets!!

-Maltese

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is really getting out of hand....Weather, punctures and damage to the cars. O my...i thought this was slot car racing..why not also add a speaker system that comments the race and the cars position. Maybe one should start racing in real life instead
Far more expensive..sure, but atleast one do not get to pay a visit to the "hospital" that includes a room with wite walls and a "care taker"

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
love the virtual commentator idea
(even if you were taking the )

I have found having commentating and knowing how you and everyone else is doing helps my race in a club, next best thing to having your strategy team letting you know whats happening over your headset whilst you drive as M. Schumacker and others do

·
Registered
67 Posts
if you wanted to simulate hills maybe have something to increase the amount you ned to use the brakes to slow down

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
also you could have 'oil and debris' on the track simulation. If there has been a deslot, the computer could work out a random probability of debris & / or oil. this would affect braking of cars going over that spot, and the effect would get less as more cars/marshalls cleared it off over time.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
...or the "Random Rabbit Effect", simulating one of those mad hares that Silverstone seems to breed...

...or the "Random Loony Effect", simulating a protestor with an issue he wants to draw attention to by running between the fast cars...

...and you could have the "Random Ralf Effect", simulating a Williams slamming into a wall backwards and requiring waved yellows whilst the cars file through his debris, thus increasing the chances of a puncture...

...alternatively, you could just put the car in the slot and race your mate 'til you beat him fair and square. Punctures, oil, fuel strategies, these things often get in the way of a good dice, flattering to deceive you into thinking you are watching a good race when later your are cheated because someone gets taken out by a flat, or has to dive into the pits to refuel because his car wasn't really that fast, it was just light.

Digital promises to bring all these failings and frustrations down to 1:32. Hoorah!

K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple Stupid.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually Wankel I think you've hit a good point there (in amongst the luddite stuff
) K.I.S.S. One thing that's going to be pretty essential for these to take off is that setting the bugger up is going to have to be simple enough for those of us that like the world of plug & play.

Hell - last time I went to use my VCR I ended up cracking the sads 'cause I couldn't set the timer. Then the 7yo pointed out that the timer buttons were in a "secret" compartment on the handle so you can't accidentally reset it to tape the shopping channel when you put it down. Boy was I embarrased!

Actually the thing that would be a real worry is if you got the Random Ferrari Effect where the guys with the most money win - then again that'll be the same as ever I guess. (of course it helps to have a bloke that can steer round the other cars & keep the nose on the car for that to work
)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts