SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, quite a few of us now have seen digital in operation after the Phoenix GT Day and also at other events recently.

And we have had a lot of answers to questions so our knowledge base of what the products have to offer has improved considerably from the start of the year.

Clearly a lot of us have yet to have a go but the demonstrations appear to draw crowds and among the juniors at Phoenix it was a big hit.

As Adrian has put it you have to think of every lane now being your lane. And he has hinted of a Sport Digital pit lane section.

And when I was marshalling at Phoenix on the SCX circuit it was so easy to simply put a car back in any lane.

Now bearing in mind that there is no limit to invention as far as digital goes, either track wise or car wise or control wise or race management wise, is there anything that has not been said before that would be an absolutely barnstorming idea for a future digital developement?

Maybe 18 months to 2 years down the road once the initial offering has hit the marketplace. And lets include "Challenger" in this as Scalextric love to have your feedback.

Rather than invoking discussion here if we could please limit the posts to "ideas" and then maybe discuss them elsewhere in new threads.

Moped

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I've mentioned it before in another thread - what about 1/32 GATSOs and a race & chase set brought in to the 21st Century? The heathen criminal who death is too good for can trigger the camera by going 5 mph (scale) over the preset limit, thus enabling the primadonna traffic cop car to give chase.

Meanwhile the real crims are nicking stuff from your pit garage in their re-issued battered nissan pickup truck

Gets-off-soapbox-icon here.

I reckon the technology can handle the radar trap, maybe even have some kind of trackside radar detector
After all, Scaley do cater for the kids in all of us

Mark.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
had an idea sparked off by the police cruiser cops & robbers thread...

If you are being chased, you want to turn off down another road!

Digital offers the technology to have the track split into 2 paths, giving a 'shortcut' path...

or taken to the extreme with a lot of turn-off sections, you could build a whole town with roundabouts and everything!!!

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
What? Gatsos and roundabouts?

What have you two been smoking?

The Digital Revolution is here!

Mirror, signal, manouevre. No going to fast there, laddie.

P.s. I know you are joking... aren't you?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Wankel Ickx @ 30 Mar 2004, 12:06)What? Gatsos and roundabouts?

What have you two been smoking?

The Digital Revolution is here!

Mirror, signal, manouevre. No going to fast there, laddie.

P.s. I know you are joking... aren't you?
You're the one joking about mirror, signal,bugger!!
Actually I was being quite serious - a cops and robbers set will IMHO always spark the interest. With the advance in trackside accessories, then a scale GATSO could be a good laugh.

(I could even put a 1/2A rocket motor in it to blow it up - this has been known to happen to real GATSOs)

As an aside, we got a flyer for Toys R Us recently. Playmobil have brought out a large police station set complete with a prison cell. The window bars can be removed and the photo shows a crim doing a runner!

At the same time they've released a safe cracker set. The safe has a working lock (presumably so you can put your pocket money in it). One burglar comes with goggles and an oxy-acetylene cutting torch! The other comes with a SWAG bag, mask and stripey jumper (probably not one of Mrs. H's)

In today's all too politically correct world, it made me laugh
Think about it though...what would be the point in marketing a police set without the bad guys too?

Mark.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hey!

Would'nt section timing and competitive AI cars be a real hoot! AI cars that change lanes and everything, eh?

All digital folks running everybody else's digital cars, etc.

-Maltese

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
My sons favorite cars are his Police livery ones!

A Digital Cops and Robbers would storm the Christmas hit list for sure. He already waits at the end of fast straights and then gives chase

Another innovation, just seen on the new, all singing all dancing, Ninco Porsches is rubber bumpers for Digital cars, would save ALOT of the impending damage for sure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
QUOTE (Swissracer @ 8 Apr 2004, 07:03)...Another innovation, just seen on the new, all singing all dancing, Ninco Porsches is rubber bumpers for Digital cars, would save ALOT of the impending damage for sure.
Well, people from "SlotAdictos" forum who have Ninco Porsche stated that it has no rubber bumpers, but some kind of soft plastic bumpers to create such "rubber" effect.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE Well, people from "SlotAdictos" forum who have Ninco Porsche stated that it has no rubber bumpers, but some kind of soft plastic bumpers to create such "rubber" effect.

Bugger, thought it was too good to be true, well perhaps someone will do it for real and to be honest even soft plastic would help!

Any news from Spain on the race releases forthe Porsche? as opposed to the street livery?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Force feedback - feel the controller rumble as you drive over 'rough' ground, kick as you accelerate etc.

Sound - realistic car sounds generated in real time as you pull accelerate/de-celerate, maybe even skidding sounds (although this would be much harder to do technicaly)

Fuel consumption - probably been mentioned already but I didn't notice on my 'scan'

Seriously cool lap counters/count downs etc. - display rotating pic of winning car, flashy graphics... well this relies on Scaley or whoever getting a CLUE when it comes to screen-based design...

·
Registered
420 Posts
rondabouts and cityscapes... now were getting somewhere - all this has ofcourse been around before but now with digital technology it has the possibility to enhance a two lane setup to something really fascinating. Imagine 'real' crossings where you could choose to go in any direction - e.g. left, right or straight forward - according to your own choice. This would certainly bring in a lot of fun opportunities for 'street-like' racing. Or big cop chases - for example one racer chased by a large number of police cars.. Could be a time related race - e.g. the bad guy who 'survives' the longest 'wins'. Every one could get the option of being the bad buy during the evening and this would form a kind of 'series'....

//peter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts