SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Darainbow,

Excellent conversion. I also have a bunch of Fly 908s and will certainly convert some in the future. Looking at the chip, they seem rather large. I was wondering if you've had a chance to see the chips in Carrera's F1 cars and are they the same size. Seems they will be a tough fit in some conversions unless they make or will make smaller ones.

By the way, your site has been a great help in convincing me to take the plunge and go digital.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick,
The F1 chip is identical, but it has two rubber bumpers on top to hold it in place.

I dont know how much bigger it is than an SSD or davic chip, if any. I'm going to buy an SSD chip just to see its size. I think they have the same surface area.

The thing that makes the carrerra PCB "big" is the capacitor hanging off one side. It could be relocated or bent sideways making the chip flatter.

I predict 95% of conversions will require losing at least some of interior, especially with fly cars.

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Darainbow,

cool conversion, well done.. This is my intention as well, as a regular rebuilder/painter, I intend to convert a field of F1's which I've built, plus also some HRS chassis to fit a number of bodies on too..

What i don't understand then is why are the original Keel's have different holes through them?? Is that specifically for the Lap Counters??

Have you had any further thought on how to count cars that you've converted, ie: the Porsches?? It seems this is going to be the biggest problem, if the cars are not carrying some sort of mini transponder..

When my bits arrive, I intend to also mount a dual base on my track, allowing both Analogue and Digital racing.. That seems like a simple conversion, but, I'd like to know how to count cars on the same lane..??

Also, can i ask, when you set up a "Ghost" car, and you put it on the track, does it just pull off straight away and circulate at the set speed all the time?? ie: if we want to simulate a race, with say 4 Ghost cars, I gather you can't put them on the start line and then all pull off together?? Or can you??

Cheers

Regards

Al

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a good plan Al. I was going to build an analog/digital switch but have no desire to run analog any longer.

SCRM counts # of holes in guide flag.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Watch the video on my site to see LCs in action. The pic on the front page doest have the LCs in the layout.

QUOTE (Squishy @ 24 Jan 2005, 15:16)QUOTE (darainbow @ 24 Jan 2005, 05:11)Details can be found on my site. Enjoy!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude how does your system swap lanes? It looks better than the scaly.

ISHY
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Hi Chris,

I hear you, but, having a heap of analogue cars, I think the project of converting each and every one could be a little costly...
Speaking fo which, u're in the loop there, what's news on the release of the chips yet???

Chow

Al

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Al,
No idea on ETA of decoders. . .

Once you drive digital you probably will have no desire to run analog, so you will either convert cars or they will collect dust. Just a guess.

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts

You're prolly right buddy.. From what I've seen on your sdite and the German site, with that 4 MB Video of the F1's.. awesome..

Well I'll keep u updated on my setup.. Still waiting for my eBay parcel.. Ho hum...

Regards

Al

·
Registered
911 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 24 Jan 2005, 13:50)Once you drive digital you probably will have no desire to run analog, so you will either convert cars or they will collect dust. Just a guess.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree 100%. I have been selling a lot of my analog cars on eBay. I don't plan on converting any of the analog cars that I am keeping until I can get a guide flag that will count laps with the soon to be released Carrera lap counter. If you think about it all Carrera has to do is sell the chip and a universal guide flag together along with some instructions. Would make for a great conversion kit.

Darainbow,
How does your converted FLY car run as a ghost car?

Best regards,
Brian

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brian,

I bought two bags of the pro-X guide blades. They are $6 for 4 blades and 4 sets of braids.

If you want to use the long guide blade on an analog car, you would need to cut off the existing blade and drill a hole for the post that holds the keel. Glue in place. Or some variation of this.

Will let you know how it runs as a ghostcar when I get a chance. Should run well but slower because gearing is shorter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts