SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be quite a lot of router activity at least on my side of the Atlantic and now with digital sets available from a few of the big plastic track makers where does that leave us wood guys? I'm interested in digital and I will wait for the reviews of the plastic equipment and whatever else becomes available after a few months have gone by. I would like to hear from the guys with wood tracks over there and if they are interested in digital. I'm not commercial raceway and I'm interested in this strictly on the Home/Hobby level.
I can remember when Xslot first mentioned the Davic system on SCI and I was very much interested but I stopped after all the hype on the plastic stuff coming out. What else has happened with Davic lately?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No news on DAVIC? I guess I will just have to try to find info the hard way, inet searching.
I was thinking about purchasing a plactic digital track and gutting it for my wood track but I would like to hear from other wood track owners on the issue.

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
The only news on Davic are the series of endurance races that are being run this year in France, Belgium, Austria and possibly Spain. You may find reports on the Neuvic and Salzsbutg 24h races looking back in SF's Digital board

The trouble with the Davic people is that they've always been quite reclusive (no website) - so I haven't heard of any development, and doubt it will get into even semi-industrial production

But for your purposes, Scalextric Digital (SSD) will be totally adequate, and much cheaper - the only doubt could be whether to buy the starter set and then resell the track or just get the conversion set, the adaptation should be quite straightforward

AFAIK there are no wooden digital tracks in operation, but I'm sure the moment SSD is available quite a few people will go this way - myself included, but my track is not wood and a bit peculiar !

Beppe

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE The trouble with the Davic people is that they've always been quite reclusive

Quite true, Beppe! Some time ago, I tried to pursue Davic and hit a brick wall. Shame really, since it was in use before any major company even announced their digital systems. Had they been more aggressive.... who knows?

Personally, I am in a good position at the moment. It will likely be a few months before I start construction on a new routed track, so I will have a chance to see all (or most) of the digital offerings before I am forced to make a decision on whether digital-on-wood is a viable option or not.

My gut feel though is that I will still build an analog track.

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Hi Beppe, Hi guys,

When I chased this subject a few months back, I was eventually contacted by the Davic guys, and from what I'm led to believe, the "rights" to DS DAVIC have been sold to criccrac...
So, from there, nothing further I found..

I think I'm also waiting for them all to be released first, including, and waiting for Ninco. I just feel Ninco will be easier, better, whatever, without trying to get into a jousting match in here, but these are my personal feelings.. Then, buy some bits, and route a new flat 3 laner with lane changers..

Chow for now

Regards

Big Al

S A Slotcars Portal

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi, I have readen that David (DS da-vic) is going to make a "light version" of the DS Da-vic, more oriented to particulars and quite cheaper ! (DS Da-Vic costed something like $2800!)
I'm waiting Ninco too , like many people , is strange that there is NOBODY in the red who know anything about digital ninco system ! strange ...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
QUOTE is strange that there is NOBODY in the red who know anything about digital ninco system ! strange ...

i rather suspect the reason is because there is no ninco digital yet. My belief is that ninco have only just ordered the drawing board on which they will design their digital system

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Hi Big Al,

procrastination will get you nowhere (this from a certified Authority in the field
)

Like I said, SSD should be plenty good enough for your purposes, as well as mine - we'll know for sure in what ... six weeks ? Waiting for Ninco will set you back one year, and my guess is that their electronics package won't be better than SSD's - their advantage lies in the track, but you don't care about that, do you ?

So, buy a new router bit and the MDF, and share your layout with us (yess, telling other people to go to work is soo much better than getting your hands dirty - that's the one thing I'm missing from when I had a regular job !)

Now : DS is a Spanish firm specializing in electronic applications for slots (lap counters, Pocket Checker). AFAIK it belongs to the same Basas family who own Cric Crac and GSR Magazine, so DS Davic already designates the Spanish version.
But I do know they've just been fiddling with it for quite a while, thus squandering Davic's head start - IMHO they would be very unwise to invest into it now, it's too late

Ciao

Beppe

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Hiya Beppe,

Yip, agreed, do I care what the track is... (That doesn't expect an Answer..) I'm just wanting the "
GOODIES

Track Design and building will only be certified once I have some kind of bits in my mits... But I also know I've hurt my head plenty thinking about all the options you know... What it'll look like, is it going to be fun, etc etc..

What is important this time round (5th track build), is that I'd like to do this one with as much thought and perceptions as possible.. Previous layouts seemd good in the beginning, only to find upon completion that I did something really stupid, and something doesn't work properly... You know.. 1/24 bangs into each other in a corner, or the inside radius was too tight, and so on...

So, it's going to be much pen to paper and extremely good measuring of my available, tiny space, plus, sufficient SPACE for more than two drivers... This seems to be the biggest issue.. My space is extremely limited, but, thoughts are to maybe build another commercial track in a freinds garage, which has ample space, including space for like 8 to 10 drivers if required..

So, much to think over before I do this.. In the end though, even if I can get a decent realisitc layout and have at least 6 drivers on it (For a 2 laner), with working Pit lane, I think that will be ample fun.. Implement a forced pitstop, and reverse qualifying positions, it can only be a gas...

I can see I'm also going to have to re-engineer many of my cars "backwards" to A, make them as even as possible performance wise, and to try and make them as relatively robust as I can.. Everything get's the top-tune bits to make them as quick as possible for our club and NATS racing, but, that's not so important on a Digital track.. I think having 6 identically performing cars on a 2 laner, that will be perfect...

My head's hurting again....

Cheers

Regards

Big Al
(The BIGGEST digital fan South of the Equator...)

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Excuses, excuses.... send us the layout !!!

One thing : I suspect you'll have to use braid, not copper tape (wear & amps)

Ciao
Beppe

·
Registered
232 Posts
Good morning,
next week will be the 24h race of Eupen, Belgium and the DAVIC guys will be there as well. I hope to bring more news in two weeks.

Here is the link to the Eupen race:

http://users.skynet.be/carrera-slot-racing/

Looking formard to the Eupen race!!!!!! Our team is the "Endurance Racing Team Munich - Salzburg". If you look right underneath us there is the SCIF Team and the members there are David and Victor, the guys who "invented" DAVIC.

Nico

http://www.grenzlandslot.com

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Beppe,
that WILL be an issue, as I've never worked with braid before, and it's not available over here...

Tape HAS to work...

As for the Davic guys, well yes, I'm sure they'll be there, as I said, I've already spoken with DavidLaurent re: pricing, and for a basic setup, I was quoted 1 500-00 Euros..

Will await the goodies...

And layout to follow soon (ish)...

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
mmm.... copper tape....... electrically, you'll have to solder in a lot of power taps from the booster cable
In terms of wear one lane will be normal, the other will see six times as much traffic (I'm confident I can convince you that two lanes is all you need)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
hey "Big Al" please let us know how your adventures with digital wood goes. I'm totally excited about the whole idea for reasons that may not be reasonable but hell I just want it.

My current dream is to have a 3-4 lane Brands Hatch "Indy" done in the magnetic braid stuff - obviously trying to put the changes of elevation in it along with some nifty scenery.

I actually want to be able to use is as both a digital and as an "analog" track depending upon who I invite over to play.

I then want to be able to put in a digital "Rally Cross" circuit as a 2 laner using copper braid.

The different braids will let me simulate the change from "road" to "dirt" for the rally cross - and give me a "real" circuit to run the LMPs et al on.

Since my wife & myself won't be buying a place for a year or so I have plenty of time to allow pioneers (eg - YOU) to figure all this stuff out out so amateurs like me can just bang away - get it right & soak up the plaudits of one's cohorts..

Actually to that end - i you come up with a list of "Hints and Tips for Sentient Dogs" along the way it might be fun to pop it on the forum so I - er we? - can learn from your mistakes!

Good luck & don't forget the photos!

Dave (Eno Dog) from Aus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts