SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok thought that this might be more suitable here than in the news section...

anyway - here we have Scalextric /Hornby coming up with some interesting digital technology. And we have SCX with some interesting 'classic' track pieces. So the idea - what if we combine three SCX le mans starts with an otherwise two lane 'sport' (hornby digital) track. We can physically combine them using the Scalextric / Hornby converter for Sport / Classic track. However I think that the Sport track has a deeper slot than the classic (aka SCX) and therefore the difference in depth might (possibly) cause a significant inconvenience. Maybe so much so that it takes the fun out of the racing? Does anyone know if the Scalextric / Hornby digital cars have a deeper guide than the standard ones - or if they need a deeper slot (aka sport track?)?

My thinking is that if the depth does not make much of a grievance than we could continue to mix and match Sport with SCX as we wish in the future as well.

Now if that works we can then also connect the Sport via the sport / classic converter to the Ninco converter and then connect to the fearsome offroad tracks and some dunes as well. We have possibility to run offroad digital with Ninco track and some Pajero competition. Could be some fun rallies I think...

//peter

·
Registered
714 Posts
I don't actually know what depth guide is going to be provided with the digital cars. Amazingly, Scalextric have not yet even provided the option of a deeper Scalextric blade for any car to run on their Sport track which must have been on the market for around a couple of years now.

Speculating therefore, but it seems sensible to me that their digital cars should have provision for standard OR deeper blade guides, in which case your suggestion will be problem free. I wouldn't like to bet on it though!

·
Gary Skipp
6,509 Posts
SCX is the same as Scaley classic right?

If classic is compatible with sport without massive depth changes in slot then I don't see why scx wouldn't be.

I think that'd be great, digital le mans.

·
Registered
317 Posts
As far as I'm aware SCX is essentially the same as scaley classic - but the SCX track has more surface texture ( something to do with new tooling I believe ). Therefore there is a possibility that there could be a depth issue. Does that make sense

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Thought of a six car, two lane Le Mans race really got my attention.

Over a timed race (hours, not minutes) then the digital system should not pose a problem as less panic to overtake the car in front, so less crashes.

Also allows for pit stops, even if that is on a stretch of one lane rather than a specific track piece. Could even bring RMS to the fore.

Have I got six mates willing to race through a summers evening? Probably not at the moment, but might have if I build a digital track with RMS timing - and supply the barbeque and beers! Could even pitch tents in the back garden for that authentic Le Mans weekend atmosphere.

Scott

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Actually Scott, you would only need 5 mates to race with.

barbeque, beer ...and Babes? !

Grabs coat and goes in search of Millets' sale.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Can't find the pictures, but remember from German Toy Fair that Tecnitoys displayed a graphic of the Digital Pit Stop track section already.

No prototype or details so this should be treated as only a possible!

Gareth

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE for that authentic Le Mans weekend atmosphere
Don't forget the Hi-Tec Toilets!

Slot depths in SCX and Scalextric 'classic' track are interchangeable - no problem there.
I do hope the deeper Scalextric blade arrives soon though.
Agreed, it would make good sense for either depth blades to be fitted to digital cars - I can't believe that Scalextric will do other than ensure that.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Hi guys,

In my humble opinion, a working pitlane is THE addition to slotracing more than the whole lane-changing option.
Just imagine: pit-lane strategy, come in now or come in later when it is less crowded ? How much will I risk before the power is cut to my lane ?

Cheers,

Yves

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
QUOTE Actually Scott, you would only need 5 mates to race with.

Ah.. It seems my self-estime now so low I even forget about myself.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Ecurie Ecosse @ 11 May 2004, 12:30)Thought of a six car, two lane Le Mans race really got my attention.
Exactly what was in my mind and why I started this thread in the first place...

I imagined three SCX le-mans starts in a row on a track that otherwise (mostly) was made up out of Scalextric 'sport'. My initial thinking was that IF Scalextric (hornby) digital cars have a sligthly deeper guide then the standard Scalextric cars it might be the case that the SCX ('classic track') slot would not be deep enough to accomodate the deeper guide. The reason for me making this assumption was that IF SPORT track has a deeper slot than CLASSIC track it is possible that HORNBY digital cars will have a deeper guide. So if the guide is noticably deeper it could lead to a situation that my digital hornby dream track added on with a few SCX le mans start pieces might make the cars BOTTOM out on those particular bits...

On the other hand if combined with Ninco track - depth would only be a problem due to the 'adaptation' piece since you would need two different converter pieces (Ninco to 'classic' and 'classic' to 'sport').

//peter

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (Mecoprop @ 11 May 2004, 12:18)...Amazingly, Scalextric have not yet even provided the option of a deeper Scalextric blade for any car to run on their Sport track which must have been on the market for around a couple of years now...
I'm sure Scalextric wish to remain backwardly compatible - at least for the moment.

If they did release a deeper blade, it would go fine on the Sport track, but would get stuck on the 'Classic'. Plenty of folk still using 'Classic' bits and pieces.

I enlarge the blades of my popular Scalextric cars as I only use Sport.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Wonder if the bloke bidding £350 for a fourlane Lemans start on Ebay knows that SCX are bringing one out brand new soon...

Lotus

1 - 15 of 15 Posts