Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay maybe I dont understand exactly how it works...but I have noticed with my latest addition to my carrera setup, I got more track again and am noticing a bit of power loss, espically when 4 cars manage to be on one track close together.

I am wanting to add power taps to my track. Can I do this with the stock power supply in the kit?

Making power taps....This is how I understand it....Please correct me if I'm wrong I dont want to ruin my system. Can I just run 2 lines from the exposed track underneth the Black box section to a distibutor block. Then run individual lines to certain points around the track like every 10 feet or so. If this is correct what is the best gauge of wire to use?

Or.....would I have to tap into the black box somehow (not to keen on this idea).
I want to avoid making a big purchase for a 3rd party power supply at this time until the track layout is fully completed.

Any info would help me greatly.
Thanks in advance.

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
QUOTE (oxx44 @ 8 Jan 2005, 13:23)I have noticed with my latest addition to my carrera setup, I got more track again and am noticing a bit of power loss, espically when 4 cars manage to be on one track close together.

I am wanting to add power taps to my track. Can I do this with the stock power supply in the kit?It's not so simple with a digital controller, because the signal on the track is not equal to the signal from the power supply. You can't just route the power supply signal to different spots on the track.

You could connect parallel wires from the track controller to different points on the track, and that could help a little bit by reducing the resistance to the points furthest from the track controller.

It's not a specific Carrera problem ... I'm afraid you're up against the physcal laws of nature.

There is a more elegant solution, that involves raising the voltage on the track and regulating down in the car, resulting in a lower current consumption for the same effect to the motor, and this also gives the motor regulator some voltage drop headroom to work with.

This solution will require different electronics though, and if you don't want to bother with that, then that's obviously not a solution for you ... on the other hand, if you want you can check out our CarDCC project in another thread.

·
Registered
522 Posts
oxx44-
Simple Answer: You dont have to run the taps to a distribution block. If you only want one or two power taps, run wire from underneath the track connected to the black box, to another piece of track on the other side. One power tap will have four wires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 8 Jan 2005, 18:14)oxx44-
Simple Answer: You dont have to run the taps to a distribution block. If you only want one or two power taps, run wire from underneath the track connected to the black box, to another piece of track on the other side. One power tap will have four wires.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For those of us like me who can't handle a soldering iron without scorching a couple of fingers and melting our workpiece, Carrera provide ready made sets of wires with connectors.

Part numbers are 20584 - 5 metre and 20585 - 10 metre.

Advice on the Carrera web site suggests attaching them near remote lane changes.

Steve

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (darainbow @ 8 Jan 2005, 12:14)oxx44-
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was wanting to do this for future power taps cause when all is said and done it will be a 78 foot track. Just trying to look ahead a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts