SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tropi has suggested a new thread so here we are.

Adrian Norman from Hornby will be present and having a session to answer questions at Phoenix Scalextric Club, Studley, Warwickshire on the 28th March. Many of you will be there and I have it pencilled in my diary as a not to be missed day.

Now for those of you who are unable to make it here is your chance of posting proxy questions that you wish to put to Adrian. No doubt many will be asked anyway and Adrian of course may not be in a position to answer them all.

So if you can think of any blindingly good Digital or SPORT World question that is not too obvious and one that you believe Adrian will be able to answer then here is your oportunity.

They are not to be answered here please. They will be saved for the day in question. It may give Adrian the chance to prepare some blindingly good answers!

Moped

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Please ask him does the system work in direct sunlight. We are racing outdoors twice a year.

Julius

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Here's another: Can the system calculate sector times?

Julius

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can say To Adrian than for many people,
If Scalextric don't open the digital sytem to no more than 6 cars in the future and
don't sell a long crossover straight (105mm for example) with the extra possibility to put it between lane 2 and 3, the digital system will be just a new extra 'gadget' from scalextric who will stay in the boxes.

Else, I predict a great, great future, it will be the DAVIC system for all.

Thank you.

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Hi!

You can say To Adrian that many of us home racers will be satisfied racing just 6 cars at a time. Vast majority of racers are not professional club racers. Furthermore I dont't care whether lane change is done at curve or straight. I just want to have a good racing experience.

Have more FUN!
Think more of us home racers! I have neither the room or the money for Davic.

I predict a great, great future for Scalextric digital. (If it works reliably)

Julius

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Since I'm often quick to jump on Moped when I think he goes "over the top", it's only fair that I say "Good idea, Mope!" on this one.

My only questions are related to applying the digital system to routed tracks, and this goes beyond what can reasonably be asked of Scaley. But if the lap counting method and LC (electronic activation, not the actual mechanicals) can be adapted to routed tracks then I may well build accordingly. Perhaps it could just be mentioned as a "concern of the small minority", to show that some wood track builders are also eyeing the Scaley implementation of digital systems with interest.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
QUOTE Vast majority of racers are not professional club racers.

sorry couldnt resist! but can you proove this? I find this unbelievable with the amount of clubs about.

I would say the majority but only just race at home, the vast majority however

Rob.

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Hi!

Inte, we could try to estimate how many sets Scalextric, NINCO, SCX and Carrera are selling annually and in this way determine how many ordinary home racers there are. This could give us a rough estimate.

And have a look at this site. Surely SlotForum has counters of how many visitors there is daily. I'd guess at least 100-200 people visit this site daily - but you always find the same 30-40 people writing.

Can it be that you have "serious racers" debating with each other and the rest of the lot are just your regular Joe slotracers?

I think SlotForum is a great place and I love to follow lively conversation.
I just think there might be many beginning home racers that would be delighted if there were more stories aimed especially for the beginners.

Julius

PS.
My apologies to moped rider for temporarily hijacking this thread.

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
QUOTE Furthermore I dont't care whether lane change is done at curve or straight. I just want to have a good racing experience.

Have more FUN! Think more of us home racers! I have neither the room or the money for Davic.

Julius,

This seems a very narrow view. Why can't manufacturers cater for both home and club racers or is it a case of "I'm all right JacK"

John

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Vfr750, I'm very glad to see manufacturers providing great systems for both home and club racers. But I presume it's mostly the club racers who are complaining about lack of power, number of cars, number of lanes, collisions at LC piece,...etc,....etc.

Julius

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
jonny I need to have a go of those, will they be working samples?
and will this world thing be there? be interested in bugging adrain about that then I can have a nerfing session on the digital
then as long as I havnt had a liquid lunch some hard racing

·
Registered
420 Posts
regarding club or not clubrelated hobbyists... I do know some people that like slotcars. None of those that I usually meet is or ever has been a member of a slotclub. I am not saying that clubs are a bad thing, just mentioning my personal experience. Althought I currently do have the intention of having a go at a slotclub - will surely be a fun thing. The point I wanted to make though is that there are probably quite a few people out there who returned to the slotcar hobby but have not joined a club. This club thing does for me seem to be 'for those in the know' and having only have brief encounters with clubs - and that some years ago - I can say that the previous experiences I have had not exactly given me any urgent sense of quickly becoming a member...

The thing is that those of us who like cars, can become rather alienated by some clubs that race these supertuned 'not-much-car-looking-pieces' whizzing around a track without any kind of modelled environment. Now don't get me wrong - I am not saying that there is anything bad with these clubs - but having experienced some of them I can say that I did not personally found it very interesting. I can see that it may be interesting to others but I prefer a very different kind of hobby myself. I believe I am not the only one, since friends that I have who are interested in cars seem to like their slotcars especially when they do look like scale model replicas of the full sized ones. I do understand that there are clubs that would suit me - but I have never actually experienced one of those........ yet...

//peter

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The World Sport should be a def. the remainder is going to be determined by where the kit is at that particular moment in time. Adrian says he will do his best and I believee him. The SCX digital is a def.

Peter I know exactly where you are coming from but it doesn`t have to be that way mate.Tthere are also some cracking clubs around and I`ve got 100% more from this hobby since I started club racing. This Forum is an example of the diversityof the hobby but that is great because it`s is also all inclusive too. Moped and I were discussing these issues when he came to Phoenix and I think we had it righjt when we agreed we are all linked to each other as home or club racer and also like me both!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
alls good on that front and peter, wtf were you on 31st of Jan matey? shoulda come and met some like minded fools at wrexham!!

Rob.

·
Registered
420 Posts

sorry - did not mean to sound as if I was complaining.....
... just wanted to express an explanation to why not all of us are clubbing...
(yet)
but hey.... I am slowly getting there... a bit shy at first....

//peter

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
well stop explainin and get to jonny's on the 28th you'll see what it's about and no doubt be very welcome. All the friendly banter stalls and question probing should be a reet larf!

be able to see moped get beat by les bambino's

Rob.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts