SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my retirement on 03 after 30 years of R/C model car design and manufacture, I was looking for a hobby and discovered that slot racing was about to go digital. Having spent some time back in the 60s (yes 60s!) working on lane change systems for slot racing, albeit without success, I had to have a go. My first venture was a Scalex. circuit of some 16m length. A great deal was learned and I was encouraged to empty my garage and scratch build a circuit.
One advantage of digital is the compactness offered by being able to run several cars on a 2 lane road and I decided that a mountain road circuit such as the Targa Florio would make the most of this. The circuit has in fact a short single lane section through the 'village' where the road is even narrower enabling even more track to be crammed in. This also means that only one lane change is required (these are quite tricky to scratch build!). Both lanes are then of equal length (very important) More lane changes would have been included but experience has shown that these lead to blocking by the lead car. More of this in a seperate topic perhaps.
Track surface is of 4mm MDF with the slots cut with a double bladed jigsaw and then packed up 1mm to increase the slot depth. Buildings are also 4mm MDF. Cars are Fly of the correct period, the Targa finishing in the early 70s. Magnets were removed but replaced to improve lap counting. Without magnets the cars could lift through the Scalex lap counter and not count reliably.
Races are usually 4 cars with 3 marshals. Great fun and well worth the effort. Wes R

Attachments

·
Alan Tadd
4,047 Posts
Hi Wes

Welcome to the Forum.

Great layout you have there, although I'm not a great digital fan, I can see the advantages in a layout like this.

Some details regarding your building construction technique would be appreciated.

Fabulous Work....

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Hi Wes

Welcome to SlotForum. Fabulous track and love the single lane part through the village. A scratch built Digital track is something that a lot of people talk about, but few have managed. Assume you have kept all the Scalextric electronic stuff, Powerbase and in car? Did you use the mechanics of the Scalextric LC or do your own?

Rich

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
Hello Wes,

Love the track! Congratulations on a great job. Can you show us a few pics of the other end of the track?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi, First of all welcome to the forum!

Just to let you know....we love pictures so the more you post the better!! especially with a track like yours! the scenery is superb!!!

Ian

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wes, firstly let me add my welcome to SF. Your layout is very, very good....no, much better than that! Like the other members I'm all ears and eyes to see more and learn how your track developed. Some progress and details would be much appreciated. Well done!

Stewart

·
Registered
577 Posts
All I can say is WOW!.
That's a circuit dreams are made of!!
It's a real inspiration. Just hope that one day (???!) I can get to drive on a track like it.
The village scene is terrific and most realistic!
Wes, just as a matter of interest, you wouldn't happen to be Wes Raynor of Mardave RC Cars, would you?

·
Ian
99 Posts
Wes,
Welcome to the forum, why did I switch off early last night I miss this Lovely circuit, you have combined elements that several of us here on the forum have been considering for some time, and done it in such a beautiful way. You have made lots of fans already, but we would like some details as soon as you get a moment.

4mm MDF cut rather than routed, I can see that thickness or lack of it gives you more flexibility but I have difficulty with how you join the each side back together keeping the 3mm slot?

I like the way you have achieved camber on the corners do you have photos on the construction this is presumably because of the use of 4mm MDF.

I would also like to see how you did the LC's do you construction have photos.

"Without magnets the cars could lift through the Scalex lap counter and not count reliably."
Could you tell us more on this?

Well you have me really thinking I have just gone the wrong way, I will now need to consider ripping down both my tracks to make one like that.

Well done,
thanks for sharing it with us though it may be upsetting for some

Regards

Ian

PS on that last post I still have a Mardave Marauder sat under my SSD table I haven't used for years!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.