SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Here is a no-nonsense feature lists that compares the existing commercial digital systems and explores some of the advanced features (and abilty to respond to aftermarket products) that are important to enthusiasts and club racers.

Each manufacturer has chosen their own way of doing things, and the benefit and/or drawback of these methods are starting to becoming apparent.

Proponents of certain systems have claimed "workarounds" that may fix some of these problems, but until they have been demonstrated, we will not know the truth.

If you feel there is anything missing or incorrect in this comparision, please let me know and I will update the table. I want this to be a fair and unbiased comparision based upon the needs of enthusiasts, but unfortunatly, I do not have identical information for each brand. That is where I need everyone's help.

Hopefully this comparison will cause the missing data to become known and the true limitations of each system to be discovered.

Chris

Advanced Feature Comparison

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
Hi darainbow
QUOTE (darainbow @ 23 Dec 2004, 20:04)Here is a no-nonsense feature lists that compares the existing commercial digital systems and explores some of the advanced features (and abilty to respond to aftermarket products) that are important to enthusiasts and club racers.Good work.

It provides a nice overview of the different solutions, and address many of the issues we should be working with in our own design.

Thank you.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have updated chart to note that scalextric will provide high detail models. But will they provide a full grid? (at least 6 cars) I have seen a couple models of each type announced.

Thanks for other information. Im hoping someone with SSD will take the risk and see what happens with aftermarket power supply.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Darainbow, thanks!
That's the first time I've seen the features of the various systems summarized in such a concise way. It makes it so much easier to see where the manufacturers are centering their efforts and in which areas they are lacking. Good stuff!

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 23 Dec 2004, 21:18)I have updated chart to note that scalextric will provide high detail models. But will they provide a full grid? (at least 6 cars) I have seen a couple models of each type announced.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see why you want to race digital races with highly detailed cars. They will be too vulnerable by the way I have seen digital races being raced. I would never sent my "hard-to-get" Corvette C5-R from Le Mans 2000 into such a battle!
People pushed other cars in fornt of them of the track and here I would like to see a stop-and-go penalty!
Or a "non-collision" system that slow down the cars that are coming from behind.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Reading the news section of the Forum (and the MRE website) about Scalextric's new releases for 2005, someone is going to be busy updating this comparison. It appears a much waited and much need pit lane will be here for 2005! Have fun.

·
René &#39;Vialli&#39; Christensen
4,861 Posts
Quote: "Multiple users have reported that use of LCs can also cause overloads. Unfortunately, the scoring computer is integrated with power delivery and an overload causes all race results to be lost."

Are there no way you can divide the "scoring computer" and the power base?
Scalextric will sell a power base on its own, so will that be the solution?

·
Registered
773 Posts
...just a quick info - -it seems that the new ProX cars have a brake! Try it by yourself, had just a quick glimpse on a sample in a shop - and the brake worked! Releasing the throttle of a Nascar stopped the rear wheels immediately - back side of the car lifted off the track, guide had full contact. Did not work the same way with a comparison F1-car out of a set - wheels still turned for a while. Actually I can't get an official comment from Carrera - but I think there will be a response...

·
Registered
62 Posts
does the pro-x come with a lap counter?? If not how do you know when the race ends??

I can not access the digital comparision from here. that is why i ask

brian

also are the pro-x f1 cars out yet??

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Pro-X systems do not come with a lap counter. Carrera lap counter is not available at the moment, when it arrives it is planned to be $40?

I hope you can get to darainbows web site soon because theres lots of detailed info on the carrera system, and alternative products for lap counting

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am at work and his site is blocked as FUN AND GAMES. I will look at it when I get home

I am getting tired of the SSD and the overloads. plus I saw carrera will have some great digital cars coming out

are F1 carrera cars available yet??

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Blocked?? Its a comcast homepage. Ive gotten some decent hits but nothing outrageous. Maybe the server is down.

Carrera has a full F1 grid.

05 Is a good year for carrera. They have already fixed the braking and are introducing another 20 cars to the lineup as well as their own timing computer and pit lane.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts