SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

just wondering if any SSDC owners ever revert to using the LCD Tower that came with the APB ?

Since I bought into SSD after purchasing the SSDC software the tower has just sat in its original carton gathering dust.

I tried it today and gee... what a headache.. it took me ages just to decipher the characters on screen. Then after an hour of trying to get a single analogue car running I realized my mistake was having 2 power packs hooked up to the APB. Seems in analogue mode only one power connection is required. So is there any advantage to using it. For example, can I simply enter Analogue mode without using the Tower ?

Slightly off topic ... One of my Hornby transformers died today ... not sure why ? I checked the 3a fuse and it's fine... lucky I have a spare tucked away.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I think it is only non-SSDC owners that user the tower on the APB.

·
Administrator
10,136 Posts
The use-it-once-in-a-blue-moon tower is going to be one of the cheapest items on ebay in the coming future I predict.

You do get used to the structure of the menu after a while. A long while.

QUOTE (mickman @ 4 Jul 2011, 15:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>can I simply enter Analogue mode without using the Tower ?

Yes if you update to PB-Pro code. It can then be done with button presses.

QUOTE (mickman @ 4 Jul 2011, 15:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Slightly off topic ... One of my Hornby transformers died today ... not sure why ? I checked the 3a fuse and it's fine... lucky I have a spare tucked away.

I've had one die on me. I ripped it apart to fault find and gave up as a lot of the critical stuff is potted. I guess that is one in 20 C7024s that have been in my possession over the years

·
Digital &quot;Tea Boy&quot;
777 Posts
I had to go and take out my LCD screen - which was in the loft untouched - to change direction of travel in analogue mode
....this function is not available in SSDC at the moment.

BTW, I really hope that left to right over the APB finish line in analogue mode is not the default....if it is I think it's quite daft.

·
Prof I T
11,185 Posts
hi
plugged my tower in once since i switched to apb and that was to set a minimum lap time to mimick ssdc for pace car use.

It spends most of it's time on the top shelf.

·
Greg Gaub
15,345 Posts
No, because the APB is programmed to ouput/perform differently based on what's plugged into it. The tower has a certain power draw (or something) and so the APB knows it's in that mode. The PC cable is different, so that it knows to be in "dumb" mode to be controlled by the PC. It can't be in both modes at once, and so the tower and PC cannot both be used at once, even with a splitter.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
QUOTE (bbqninja @ 5 Jul 2011, 22:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>However, if you did decipher (using bus pirate or something like it) the signal format that the tower expects you COULD hook it to your computer, and have a program control the LCD.

yep, you could... or if you had the code for the tower, then you could just read the documentation that comes with it - that is much easier! It still can't be done with a splitter cable easily due to the problems that Mr. F described. Which means that a second cable is required, and the second cable needs to have an external transformer connected so that the tower gets the 15V power that it needs to run... so that is a load of work for someone... and extra cost for everyone else... and what do you get? Afterall its not like its a colour hi-res display or anything.

Anyway, its down the list of things to do in my opinion. The theory has been proved though.

·
Greg Gaub
15,345 Posts
Now, if the tower was a beautiful bright glowy green and red thing, THEN it would be a useful thing to do. ;-)
Still, for me, the only reason to have the tower is without the PC. It would make more sense to set up a hard switch for when I'm not in the mood to fire up the PC just to watch lap times.
If the computer is already running, I'd just look at the SSDC screen.

·
Registered
259 Posts
yes that's what i was hoping for ... at times rather than booting up the laptop I can simply spark it up... do a few quick laps, check my times... but alas it functions quite well as a door wedge, an expensive one at that... might have to upgrade it to paper weight status. Then it can stand proud once again atop my desk... anyone asks me what it is, I simply reply..
" You never seen one of these before, its the latest smart phone, these are all the rage in Japan right now, just not available over here yet... I hear car phone warehouse may support it later next year..maybe

Q. is there anyway of viewing current race stats while SSDC is in TRACK CALL mode ( yellow lights ) ?

·
Administrator
10,136 Posts
Pretty sure I managed to unpin the lights once upon a time, that might have been version 4 though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.