SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note: This was originally a reply to the Digital is more real... babble, babble, babble thread. But I decided that I wanted more people to see it, so it got it's own thread...

QUOTE digital is going to seperate the men from the boys

What a funny thing to say...

What if those who are good at analogue racing are not good at digital? Des that mean they are not good at slot racing?

If you have two guys (or gals). Guy A is better than B when racing analogue, but can't get his head around lane changing, so B is better at digital than A.

So who's the better slot racer?

I think analogue racing should be known as 'Slot Racing', and digital be called something else. Sure they share similar qualities, in that cars are driven by an electric motor, whose power is controlled by a controller. But that's where the similarities end.

It's like bike racing and car racing. Some, but by no means all, can swap and be competitive in both. But you hear no one saying that 'so-and-so' is a good 'motorsport racer'. They are know as a good 'car racer' or 'bike racer'.

What do you guys think?

McLaren

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think analog racing is and will be the real speed racing; whereas digital is more race thinking......or in other words: analog slot racing is Ayrton Senna and digital slot racing is Alain Prost......you also cannot say which of both really was the better racer !!

Cheers
Zubi

·
Registered
197 Posts
IMHO,

A good analog racer is a good digital racer. Maybe not the best, but don't guess an analog-winner be the last in a digital race. Which one is the best? Zubi already described very well. Or do you plan a "slot marathon", 12+12h running, one analog and one digital race to find "the best slot racer"? That might be a good challenge
Oh, don't forget the rally and raid tracks.

Sorry, I forgot to add: In Spain, we say somebody "has finger" when its skill is more than proven. When somebody "has finger", it has for everything: speed, rally, analog, digital... He won't win everything, but a good position is asssured.

·
Registered
232 Posts
QUOTE What if those who are good at analogue racing are not good at digital? Des that mean they are not good at slot racing?

If you have two guys (or gals). Guy A is better than B when racing analogue, but can't get his head around lane changing, so B is better at digital than A.

So who's the better slot racer?

I think analogue racing should be known as 'Slot Racing', and digital be called something else. Sure they share similar qualities, in that cars are driven by an electric motor, whose power is controlled by a controller. But that's where the similarities end.

It's like bike racing and car racing. Some, but by no means all, can swap and be competitive in both. But you hear no one saying that 'so-and-so' is a good 'motorsport racer'. They are know as a good 'car racer' or 'bike racer'.

I will try it with another comparison (although I hate those comparisons):

- someone that takes good pictures with an analog camera will not take good pictures with a digital camera??????? Is that what you are trying to tell us or what might be possible or what might happen

You really believe what you wrote there???

Now come on, ...........
!!!!!!!

I think I am repeating myself here, NOT so many if´s and when´s if possible.

Wait untill there are a few digital tracks out there and wait what the responses will be and how people like it or not and what their responses are.

And believe me, having raced digital, the guys that are fast on an analog track are also very fast on a digital track!!!!!

Nico

24h Salzburg 2004

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE someone that takes good pictures with an analog camera will not take good pictures with a digital camera??????? Is that what you are trying to tell us or what might be possible or what might happen

Congratulations, (Remainder edited out by moderator).

There is a clear difference between driving analogue and digital cars, there is no difference in pressing a button on a digital or analogue camera. I believe it will take a lot more attention to drive competitivly on a digital track, because you've got to watch out for people trying to block you, and changing lanes to avoid back markers and that's even if you decide not to try and block others yourself.

Anyway, there was no need to get agressive, or mocking, because I was simply asking questions in my original post and clearly only giving my own opinions based on limited digital running. Leave it out.

Perhaps a more worthwile reply might have been: "I've raced on digital a lot and here's my response to your questions..."

McLaren

PS. Care to try again?

·
Registered
232 Posts
QUOTE Congratulations, you're an idiot.

At least I did not see any need to get personal, but some people seem to have a need to do that, hey, no problem, if you really FEEL the need!!!

There are by now so many threads in here about digital racing, what it will do, what it could do and what I do not understand is that you keep asking questions that have been talked about for months now and a lot of answers/comparisons have been given!!!!
Just read the threads and you will see/read/learn a lot about digital racing, the possibilities and the facts that are out now.

You will also see a lot of people that do have clear opinions on the digital topic and what they like and don´t like!!

And the question will it seperate the men from the boys really stands for itself here, believe me!!!

Nico

24h GT Salzburg DAVIC

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, sorry for that. But it really is a stupid analogy, because it's nothing like it.

Anyway, I don't see how you can say 'digital will sort the men from the boys'?

Does normal slot racing not do this already?

If not, then digital is not really an extension of slot racing but something completly different.

I just don't see the point of the quote. Is it suggesting that digital is harder than analogue racing? If so, then surely some good drivers will not be able to cope with the step up, whereas some will.

I was simply asking questions about something that I haven't seen disscussed before, because it's the first time that I've seen this quote. Sorry if you think it's all been discussed before, all you have to do is provide a link, or not reply.

McLaren

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well for me your question suggests to me that there is a hell lot of a differnce from analoge racing to digital racing and from my experience there is not as analog racers get used to the extra button and its possibilities very fast!! They also get used to the usage of the extra button (blocking, overtaking,....). And as it is rather new to nearly all of us all the drivers have the same chances.

I think that digital is just another feature to slotracing and it still stays slotracing to me.

For me the comparison to digital pictures is not that far away as with a digital cameras I have additional features that I can use (look at the pictures right after having taken a photo, deleting the pic if I don´t like it), but you still have to take a picture, so the basics stay the same!!
Digital racing is not different to analog racing, it just offers more possibilities that you can use, but you can still race a normal slotrace on a digital track by staying on your lane.

And I do not think that normal slotracing seperates anybody, it should bring people together to enjoy themselfs and have fun racing slotcars.

Nico

24h GT Salzburg DAVIC

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that was better...

In the case of the digital camera thingy... there are a lot of experienced camera men who can't get to grip with digital cameras, and almost no professional cameramen use digital, because they prefer the good old digital.

Actually you have hit a gold mine with that analogy Nico. Absolute basic beginners buy analogue tracks, because they are cheap and effective, as are analogue cameras for kids. A little bit higher up, home users are expected to buy small digital sets, these are like dads with digital cameras. A bit higher up again, you will find those with big complex digital tracks, and these are the executives with they're flashy £1k's worth of digital camera. And at the very top, you have professional photographers with really expensive, quality equiptment.... but it's analogue... these guys are the club racers...

McLaren

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sorry to disagree on the club thing, as I think that quite a few clubs (especially those with a lot of members) might switch to digital, as it offers the possibillity to race with just a few people or with a bigger group.
The smaller group can race analoge and the bigger group can race digital because than the members of a bigger group can also race and do not have to wait that long inbetween their turns.

Plus at endurance races the digital track gives also the advantage of racing with 15 groups on a 6 lane track at the same time, all on the same track plus the endurance time can be RACED, no breaks inbetween!!

Nico

24h GT Salzburg 2004 DAVIC

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
"Is this the right room for an argument?"

"10 minutes or the full half hour?"

A little humour (Monty Python) to lighten the mood.

I won't get all Mod-powerful and delete things since you both seem to be reaching a peaceful conclusion, but for future reference if anybody's calling anybody an idiot it will be me, okay!

My own thoughts on digital racing are that the guy who, you know, just goes faster, will do quite well. And that's not me being flippant.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
i COVERED THIS IN THE ORIGINAL THREAD. (an apparently am having a typing in caps problem) please try to stay sane guys. Digital looks like fun to me. I ain't giving up the track. I dig in the house for the boys & the mates coming over (Hit & giggle) seems perfect. Horses for courses & it's no doubt a number of kids that get the "dig" will want faster & keep the analog thing happening.. think about that before letting blurt with..

·
Premium Member
5,558 Posts
QUOTE i COVERED THIS IN THE ORIGINAL THREAD. (an apparently am having a typing in caps problem)

This is why I love SF! Wit and slots

1 - 16 of 16 Posts