SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Some good points posted I think. So far I`m mainly in agreement with Nico and find the amount of posts on this subject prior to it`s introduction premature.

I`ve read the term `Mainstream` posted several times and really wonder what that is? This is perhaps a pretty small hobby and though many of us think we know the lie of the land I wonder if we really do? The introduction of any new gadget over previous years has been accepted or rejected upon being used. Experience soon reveals the pros and cons of anything released into the world of slot. Will digital change the hobby as much as the move from rails to a slot? I don`t know, but I for one am happy to see anything that gives more potential to this hobby. Maybe I`ve just seen too much of the same old,same old six lane racing? I must be biased because I almost feel desperate to see something else added into the racing to add more fun and increase the challenge. Nothing over recent years has done this but Digital has the portential, along with software developments to give more choice. You can take it or leave it but at least it is something new, not yet another Subaru!!

Doug, I didn`t take offence at anything you posted though Nuro`s advice is central to co existing on the forum and is perhaps relevant to Tropi`s crocodile biting theory. Good rapport a la over a pint in the cruiser, we are after all only spinning the brown stuff

· Registered
2,611 Posts
That sounds reasonable except that Nico and pals are already using a system that is tried and trusted. It seems to me that a majority of us are a way behind and prior to the release of the usual suspects versions ,we have no experience of any product beyond a quick spin at an exhibition.

Racing on a club digital circuit compared to a small set is as big as the difference between traditional circuits at home or at a club. If I want to see the full potential of this new system it seems reasonable to listen avidly to those who have used this at club level. You see, the theory about the crocodile rassling just doesn`t work for me because there is a massive difference between theory and real practise. I`d rather take the informed view any day before I shell out my hard earned and try it for myself.

Dennis touched on an interesting point, something that greatly interests me any way. How about a routed track with working pit lane that is digital?

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Picking up from where Inte left off. The cost is high based on SCX but that is the worse example to date and I personaly didn`t enjoy racing the SCX system when I used it. Power boosting? Is that a problem Nico? I`m scared witless by lecy so over to someone who knows better.

The changing between all lanes is the single biggest issue to me. The system I choose to instal at the club will be the one that provides for using the most cars and allows changing between all lanes. Does that mean Davic?

Marshaling has been covered in other threads and it seems sound to me and no more a problem than normal.

The answer to the question why would clubs want it? Well , less waiting time for a race and more opponents racing you at one time and more of a challenge trying to over take are some reasons that spring to mind. Don`t think we`ll introduce Tiger rassling or bungee jumping at same time tho as it`s hard enough to get people to marshal as it is!

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Inte since when did you become spokesman for ALL the clubs in the land? Isolated?
Got enough good people here active in the hobby to keep me happy racing for a while. I cannot remember inviting you to play on me digital track so don`t lose sleep over it matey boy although if memory serves me correctly the only go you have had on a digital track was at Phoenix. Am I right?

I should point out that being the only one in anything or any situation has never bothered me. We seem to be doing all right and are a happy bunch so I reckon each to their own as long as you and your club mates are happy.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Inte wrong! Every event I`ve ever organised I have had a supply of both cars and controllers for use by visitors or my own club members and it will be the same with the chips if necessary. At the Fly meeting I organised I ran short of club Fly cars so I gave out my own three race prepared cars that I was gonna race to three kids who turned up empty handed. Just face it, lay off bashing the way Phoenix is run because we are well organised and a sound club.

You have only tried SCX so far and there is more choice than just that make. You haven`t tried Digital on a large club circuit either. You asked questions about using digital in a club environment and so far I have answered them in the context of how we would approach the issues. Neither of us can speak for the other clubs. I am however, interested in two specific points you raised, power boosting and changing across all lanes.

As I pointed out before, you only have to please yourself, no-one is trying to force any racer or club to adopt anything that may make the hobby more interesting. In the meantime it makes sense perhaps to at least keep an open mind and listen to those with more experience of racing Digital at a club (Nico etc) before making a decision, unless it`s a Moto GP bike of course

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.