SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two months ago I was snooping around on craigslist saw a slot car set for sale they were asking $40 stating the cars didn't work I offered $25. I have a 10 yr old son thinking he would like the toy. It took all of 2 min each to get the cars in running condition we raced for maybe 5-6 hours that night. I realized this is not a toy but maybe a hobby grade race track system. The following weekend we picked up some xtra track and a couple of cars, invited my cousin, brother in law over for a visit. We raced all night long the boy was as good as the adults
he said it was due to the xbox.

The bug bit us, Brian & Jon purchased anlog sets that weekend. We have been hauling cars & track to each others house's for weeks now. Has anyone noticed buying cars are habbit forming? For some reason I think we need a fleet of them. Any how I decided that the boy & I needed to go digital this is what I've ordered for xmas:

C7042
Professor Motor PMTR1400 15 Amp 5-20 Volt Power Supply
4 digital controllers
4 dpr chips
4 saloon chips
4 slot it chips
3 digital straights

Do I need anything else before xmas for dependable running?

1. Can I pay to have the C7042 modded? if so I need that info
2. Can I run fly cars before the mod?
3. How do you clean track?
4. What settings do I set the power supply at?
5. One of my fly cars needs a new spur gear, need to find diagrams w/part numbers and a place to order parts.

We are new to the hobby and I learn things from the forums (thank you). Any advice you could give would be great.

Chaskaman

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Chaskaman,

Sounds like you fell into the trap. There's no way out now. First it comes with a bit of couriosity, then you find a good deal on a set; set it up; play with it for a few ours, and then the next day you mysterously find yourself surfing the web for new cars. Within a few months you have this out of control collection, and addiction to by more. Your story is identical to mine, except I started with digital.

Assuming you're using Scalextric
1. Actually, you can do it for free, just download the upgrades. Here's the link http://ssdc.jackaments.com/
2. Stock Fly cars will run before converting to digital. If you have a Scalextric set, you may be able to convert by installing a chip.
3. Clean the track with alchohol, a lint remover tape-roll, dry cloth, vaccum cleaner with a brush attachement.
4. Set the power supply at what every works best for your drivers. Kids typically will require a lower setting until they're driving skills improve.
5. You can proably log onto the Fly web site and get a parts diagram for all your fly cars.

I'm no pro, but I hope this helps.

For some reason, I didn't see your entire message on my e-mail. Contiuation:

You may want to confirm whether the power base you have listed will work with the 7042. Not all power bases work with digital controllers.

Just a suggestion: If you'd like to get into refueling, you can get a pitlane game and have it upgraded to pitpro, and download the Scalextric Sport Digital Console software from the same web site above. You can either purchase your own pit lane game and have Rich G, a memeber on this site upgrade it for you, or you can just purchase one already upgraded from him. It definately adds to the exicitement.
Looks like you're on track with everything else.

The addiction never ends! Unless the budget ends first. Please don't resort to crime!

Have fun!

rob

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Welcome to digital.

I had to laugh when I read about buying cars being habit forming, it gets worse, the more you have the more you want, you will then see a new model you don't own and want it in every livery it's ever been released in.

With regards to your fly gears, have a word with your slot.it stockist, I love fly cars but mechanically they are not great, a set of slot.it gears will have the ar running much smoother than fly, some times my fly cars will nt even move without substantial work to the gears.

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
QUOTE (Chaskaman @ 11 Dec 2011, 21:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do I need anything else before xmas for dependable running?

Chaskaman

Hi there and welcome,

If there is one thing you need for dependable running on digital it's: INOX MX3. If you run a search on the forum you'll see what I mean.
It also preserves your track VERY well so you don't have to clean it that often.
When I do have to clean mine: Isopropyl alcohol and paper towel. Then treat with INOX.

And yes, as Wraith mentioned, it's a MASSIVE addiction. I was only going to have a " few" cars....I'm at over 100 now and got 3 cars just over this weekend. Oh dear.
Like Rob said, it only ends when the budget ends...

Modded C7042, in what way? Software or hardware? You really need to software upgrade the APB to work well...for this you'll need a PC some free software and a special cable from RichG or RikoRocket. This cable also doubles as the connection to your Race Management Software if you decide to have any...

HTH!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the time and energy to respond to my post.
I've purchased INOX MX3, thanks for the tip.
I will find a local shop to do the mod to change volts.

Will fly or slot it cars do harm to a c7042 that is new and not modded? I also have revelle cars are they ok to run?

Thanks again

Chaskaman

·
Digital &quot;Tea Boy&quot;
777 Posts
I have raced my SLOT.IT Mclaren without any issues. That said it had a SLOT.IT chip in. I think the APB chucks out 5amps max so that should be enough for most cars.
The main concern here on this forum is the digital chip you install in the "higher performance" cars...SLOT.IT, NSR etc.

I know from experience - read blown chips - that anything over 20.000 rpm is going to blow a C7006 and DPR chips quite quickly...the F1 chip will withstand it a bit longer but I've blown one or 2 before on a 28.000 rpm motor.

There is someone in the US that upgrades the chips to be able to take higher RPM's.

Sorry, C-Man I think I'm misunderstanding this statement of yours: " I will find a local shop to do the mod to change volts " are you talking about the hardware power mod that RikoRocket does? I'm not sure if a local shop will do this for you...a shop might do the software upgrade...I stand corrected if some shop of sorts will do the hardware mod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
talking about hardware. I needed a power supply for a movie projector replaced they were able to fix it at fraction of the price. I saw the post by RicoRocket about doing the mod. He state it was a skill level 2/10 well I am about skill level .05/10. The people at the shop I mentioned have the skill level that I don't have.

Thank you for your post

Chaskaman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
talking about hardware. I needed a power supply for a movie projector replaced they were able to fix it at fraction of the price. I saw the post by RicoRocket about doing the mod. He state it was a skill level 2/10 well I am about skill level .05/10. The people at the shop I mentioned have the skill level that I don't have.

Thank you for your post

Chaskaman

·
Digital &quot;Tea Boy&quot;
777 Posts
OK, cool.

·
Greg Gaub
15,119 Posts
You should be able to run the Fly cars in analog mode no problem. One per lane, no need to chip them and worry about it. If you find that they are competitive cars for digital racing, then look into motor RPM and which chip would be best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts