SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm collaborating with Bob Scott on yet another project. This one is more a mix of some of his expertise in building commercial tracks and typical home raceways, and my interest in scenic tracks. The plan began with a very practical and simplified version of the Suzuka. Not very interesting to me as a scenic track, but it can be very effective use of space for a larger track. Bob wanted to do a four lane, which I generally don't like because the track is so wide. We came up with the idea of doing a "divided highway" --from four lanes to 2+2 and together again. To add more visual interest, the two lanes would be separated by elevation, not space, along a mountainside. I gave Bob a pretty difficult routing and construction job on this.

PLAN --I do the sketches in Railmodeller using Scalextric as a template, but the track will be routed MDF. Here's what I came up with as a beginning.

Bob then put it onto paper and then MDF. The Plan is 4'x16' and will be two 4'x8' tables bolted together.

The building and routing of the track is in Bob's hands. Here are some of the initial photos.
ROUTING

Bob has done the initial work on the divided highway part, but now the track will come over to me to work out the elevation details and scenic ideas.

I'm trying to think about sight lines and even lanes, while also trying to create a visually interesting track. I'm thinking about a mountainside with the divided highway gradually separating on the face of the mountain (not so much on the straight to preserve the sight lines. Maybe a waterfall coming down the mountainside. Any suggestions or comments are welcome!

Bob hopes to use the track a bit in fairs and the like, and then eventually to find a buyer for it.

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
Guys! I am -once again- more than amazed about the speed some guys are doing their job here! I am looking fwd about that track. One more to follow closely. The idea of the devided track is great but not too easy concerning the scenery...Lets see. In case of this special "bullet-proved" team I dont feel any sorrow about a great outcome. Regards Jens

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
JMSWMS,
For some reason I would have thought the inner loop would be lower rather than higher than the outer loop.
Would you care to share your reasoning for the higher inner loop?

Looks like a wonderful project, BTW. Looking forward to this development.
Cheers!

·
Registered
78 Posts
It has been a huge inspiration working with Bill. And it's been a great relief knowing I am not the only one who improvises most of the work
We start with a general idea and see how it will blossom.

I actually built this with the outside split above but Bill had a vision and I'm all for his lead. So, given the fact that I build a race track to be raced in one direction, the right side will be the 'divided hwy" and run ccw up the hill. Drivers on the outside lanes will be on the right side of table and the only time they will lose sight is going around the backside, which is slightly banked btw

Lane length = 34' long and lanes are within a few inches of each other.

I've not consulted with Bill but I would like to put the lap counter right where the split ends. Bridge? I usually use a dead strip but sometimes a light bar would be applicable, no loss of power and they're cheaper!

Lane spacing is 3" down straight. First turn inside 2 lanes go to 2.5" and remain that way till start line. Other lanes stay at 3" till split and go to 2.5".

Gonna be awhile before Bill gets to it. I'm stacking up work for him.

Frankly, I cant wait to cut some laps

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (sealevel @ 24 May 2011, 21:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For some reason I would have thought the inner loop would be lower rather than higher than the outer loop.
Would you care to share your reasoning for the higher inner loop?Sure, I'm building a small mountain so the outer loop goes around the lower part of the mountainside. An alternative (which I'm not doing --this time) would be to create a scene like a mountain lake with the inner (lower) loop going around the lakeside and the outer loop further up the slope. Hopefully, it will make more sense once I've added some scenery.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Thanks, Bill.

I knew you had a "vision" to share.

Cheers!

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Bob has a "striping" tool (something I definitely need to find), and he had done some excellent work in doing some of the preliminary scenery work with lane striping. We just need a technique for doing quick "dashed" lines. I might be able to start working on it sometime next week.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I presume the "striping tool" is some kind of paint covered thin wheel?

How about 3 thin wheels spaced a little apart, with the centre wheel having half cut off or alternate quarters then loading the middle "cut" wheel with paint and rolling along. The outer 2 wheels should support the cut inner one whilst its in the gap part.

Damn, I wish I'd done that on mine now hahahaha.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (biedmatt @ 1 Jun 2011, 04:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I keep putting this out there. It is the tool I used to stripe my lanes.
http://www.beugler.com/That's pretty nifty tool, but I'm a bit too cheap to pay $100+ for a striping tool. Maybe if I did this professionally. Bob's tool is a bit more primitive, but similar idea. He told me that they're hard to find. I found this one at Constantine's online for $25, but I have no idea whether it would work well for us.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
I'm starting to work on the Suzuka. (Bob picked up my "Pont des Miolans" track and bought it down to the San Diego Fair. This gives me space to work on this project for the next three weeks). I still haven't gotten the Hydrocal for this one yet, but I started by fixing the elevations. I'm using cardboard and hot glue to get the fill the gaps for the elevations, and a little expanding foam to fill gaps and make the basic shapes for the eventual rock formations. Sight lights should be fine for racing. I think it would be cool to race the outside two lanes counterclockwise, and the inner lanes clockwise!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Bill, looking good! Just for my clarification, where you are spraying expanding foam for rock formations, are you planning to carve them in the foam or use the foam as a base to fit rock casting on? Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Bill, looking good! Just for my clarification, where you are spraying expanding foam for rock formations, are you planning to carve them in the foam or use the foam as a base to fit rock casting on? Per

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (perthor @ 14 Jun 2011, 15:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just for my clarification, where you are spraying expanding foam for rock formations, are you planning to carve them in the foam or use the foam as a base to fit rock casting on? PerI just use expanding foam (along with cardboard) as a base to fit hydrocal rock castings. Everything will be covered by either Hydrocal or Sculptamold.

·
Registered
873 Posts
QUOTE (jmswms @ 15 Jun 2011, 00:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just use expanding foam (along with cardboard) as a base to fit hydrocal rock castings. Everything will be covered by either Hydrocal or Sculptamold.
I thought so, but hey you never now! Thanks, Per

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Here's a few photos of the scenery at a preliminary stage. I'm experimenting with colors and painting on this little section. And, as you can see Per, the expanding foam is just being used to help give a solid base for the scenery.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A full 12 hour day's work on the Suzuka track ... call it a Father's Day present to myself!

Here's where I started.

I made an hour drive this morning and bought a 100 lb bag of Hydrocal ... let the rockmaking begin!

Step by step--making the right side cliffs

A small waterfall area

The overview

1 - 20 of 76 Posts