SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

As the title suggests I'm looking to make some etched parts for scratch builds, wipers, rear spoiler mounts, break disks etc.

I know there are suppliers of pre made parts but I'm interested in making my own. Have any of you guys done it?

Thanks

Wayne

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
i have a very detailed article from an older model train magazine

i have been wanting to some items someday as well

i will dig out the article and post it when i find

cheers, Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there, I have done a little over the past couple of months for a 1/43 scale build. I scanned the actual parts I wanted to make and printed out the images on clear acetate film - the stuff you use for overhead projector thingies.

You need photo resist film, thin stainless or brass sheet, developer for the photo resist, etching crystals which I got from Maplins but you can get them from e-bay, resist remover, UV light (I used my sons fish tank tubes for 2 mins to expose the photo's) I used a couple of sheets of glass from a couple of picture frames to sandwich the brass sheet and acetate images together for the photo exposures.

The only problem I have had is the brass sheet is a little too thin and tends to etch all the way through to nothing in places if left too long in the etch solution. I only photo resist one side and am going to have a go at doing both sides so I keep the thickness. Made some pretty good little parts with fine mesh grills etc - more basic items would come out even better I reckon. I tried stainless sheet and this worked pretty well too although it takes longer to etch.

I am by no means an expert and this was my first couple of goes after collecting the required items and watching and reading some guides on the web - There are plenty of vids on the t'internet to get you started. The more you do the better you get as they say

Good luck and show us some of your work when you get the chance.

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,215 Posts
I looked into this some time back.

ISBN 13:928-1-85486-237-2 is a Special Interest Model Book (number 36) which covers the whole process in detail. I would guess that if you have time to spare, the actual etching process would be very rewarding.

I'd suggest that if such procedures are to be part of your hobby, go for it. If you just want to get etched parts made, then do just that. The cost alas is at times quite high.

The above picture gives an idea. The material is 0.006" stainless steel. The parts are heat treated to permit forming. The wheel is for an early 30's Alfa Romeo.

Peter

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well guys here is a pic of my first etched parts

They are 10mm break discs. I made them using PNP blue and Ferric Chloride. Not perfect but ill keep at it. The material . 0.2mm Shim steel. It is polished that's why the pic isn't too good. These will look great under mat black wheel inserts. mmmmm mat black lol

Wayne

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (rapidrabbit @ 31 May 2011, 20:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey wayne69x, they look great!

Did you use anything on the back of the steel to stop the metal from thinning out too much when etching with the ferric?

Thanks RapidRabbit

Yeah I covered the back with regular sellotape. Its actually the back in the picture. The front gets a little tarnished with the acid. It was in the Ferric for about 1.5 hours. I think I need A. thinner steel and B. a better tank set up

Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts